Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Whatever happened to 3D TV and cinema?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I go back a long long long time, Southern Rentals, Church St, B/Hill around 1975, where we rented out B/W TV's for £2 a month. Colour was just arriving and took two of us to deliver and set up these things.
So to add to your list how about Remote Controls. Yes, there was a time when you had to get up to turn over to another channel. I had Sky+ in the old days when it was called a Video Recorder. Imagine that, being able to record something, coming home and finding you recorded the wrong side.
As for 8K. I've a nice new 4K LG TV and when I watch an Amazon UHD film it is impressive but not sure an 8K picture could get much better.
Incidently, I was into electronics just as MP3's started and purchased two players for my kids. They didn't like them and discarded them, mainly as the internet was still young and downloads were still in their infancy.
Ahhh, remote controls. The portable telly in my bedroom didn't have one, so for my nocturnal viewings I'd put the TV on my swivel-chair, pull it round so I could see it from my bed, and use a broom handle to switch channels. Good job there was only 4 in those days.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm a bit of a tech nerd, and I don't mind sinking money into things if they interest me even if it's obvious they're not going to be commercially successful. So I had a 3D TV. It was quite cool for some PS3 games that supported it (but not usually worth the hit to the frame rate).

What made it all worthwhile for me was Dredd 3D. Probably the only film I've ever watched that left me thinking "I'm so glad I saw that in 3D". (Actually, that's not quite true, I saw the 1953 stereoscopic 3D film "It Came From Outer Space" at the Duke of York's one drunken night in the late 90s, and that was a lot of fun.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here