Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would you prefer next season?

Given the following choices which would YOU prefer?

• In the Championship but romp the league next season by 12 points

Votes: 64 34.0%
  • Continue the same poor form and yet again struggle at the foot of PL

Votes: 124 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Everything points to staying in the PL as the best option for the club.
Each season you remain amongst the elite, your squad gets that little bit better, with more depth. By building that depth it gives the club, if necessary, the occasional option of selling one its prized assets, without devastating effect. The club can, in effect, invest in advance to cover this possibility. Each season you remain in the PL increases your chances of finishing above two of the promoted sides. There is usually a surprise team that comes up and overachieves ( e.g Sheff U ) but by having that reassurance that you are going to be better than at least two sides coming up, keeps increasing the percentages in your favour.
This season saw Leeds, Fulham and WBA come up and most BHA fans expected us to finish above Fulham and WBA. It still looks that way. Leeds were different. A big club, with a top class manager and likely to survive comfortably and so it has proved. In the Championship at present, there is no club with the potential of Leeds. Norwich seem likely to return, with a very similar squad to last season. Of the rest, Watford, Swansea, Brentford, Reading, Barnsley, Bmuff, Cardiff and Boro will all be bottom half PL teams and likely bottom 3.
So we already fancy our chances of finishing above at least two if not three of the promoted clubs. In fact, I would be mightily surprised if we didn't finish above all three. Throw in the dynamic changing at 2-3 other PL clubs and it could represent a better season. Brighton will be settled next season. Nothing changing. Slight tweaking of the squad and we will improve more. We won't if we are in the Championship. Progress will be severely blunted. Do we really want to take the risk of not bouncing back straight away? Of losing even more ground. Of losing players we don't want to lose but can no longer afford to keep. Maybe even losing the manager, who gets tempted by a PL club. Why wish for a halt to our progress just for the sake of winning a few more games. Winning 12 in the PL is more rewarding than winning 24 in the Championship.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
For the last time: WE WOULD NOT WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP BY 12 POINTS. IT HASN'T HAPPENED FOR 15 YEARS.

After losing some of our most exciting players to cover our losses we'd probably be around the play-offs and screw ever being part of the play-offs again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To anyone who voted 'romp the Championship by 12 points' I'd just ask: to what end? To end right back where we are now, at the top table? Shirley a dream result for big fans of Championship football would be finishing seventh, or suffering glorious failure in the play-offs. Either would mean not having to play the bigger boys. Could be happy clapping in our own little second-rate bubble :rolleyes:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I genuinely believe that if we stay up this season and keep most of our key players, we will be pushing top half. That said, I'd much prefer championship football.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I genuinely believe that if we stay up this season and keep most of our key players, we will be pushing top half. That said, I'd much prefer championship football.

Did you say that last season as well? I believed that we'd really crack on this season but we haven't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here