Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you prefer in terms of the local paper reporting about the Albion?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There's no flair in his writing whatsoever, and I suspect that this is because he doesn't read much literature, which assists with the depth, range and powers of expression.

You're such a snob. Bet you like wine too, eh?

You're right about his prose having no flair though!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Wow. That is a work of brilliant fiction. Not sure if I love it or hate it.

On balance, it can't be good for Boro fans. It just fails to educate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I actually said that I do agree with what he writes, hence the opening sentence.
As regards the second sentence -- and hence, with how he writes -- his prose is awful, so wooden and predictable. There's no flair in his writing whatsoever, and I suspect that this is because he doesn't read much literature, which assists with the depth, range and powers of expression.

He's a local hack writing about football, I'm not expecting Pride & Prejudice.

Personally I think he's a perfectly good reporter, I never really understand the pelters he constantly gets on here. We could do a lot, lot worse. Just look at the utter drivel that's been written by that Boro reporter.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Andy Naylor can at best be described as dividing opinion in relation to the Albion. His support of Stoke City, despite being Brighton born and bred and having no connection with the Potteries, is odd. His reporting is structured and objective, never passionate, about the club and its supporters.

I was pretty hacked off that last week he even claimed that when we were promoted in 1979 we won 3-0 at Newcastle, when anyone who was around at the time and supported the club knew it was 3-1.

To me that shows his lack of emotional investment in the club, it's just a job to him, and if we are honest, for most of us, what we do for a living is the same, just a job.

I've been looking at the Evening Gazette (Boro paper) over the past week, and it comes across that the paper and its journalists appear to be fans, such is the enthusiasm with which they write their articles.

I then made the mistake of reading their player ratings for their 11 men against 10 in which their team drew 1-1 at home, which are as follows:

View attachment 74515

View attachment 74516

Ramirez was given a 10/10 rating, and I'm totally nonplussed with the narrative too. It's the type of stuff I would expect from an eight year old. How many goals did he score? None. How many goals did he make? None. Normally a 10/10 is given for an outstanding performance seen once or twice in a season, rather than for someone who wears shinpads the size of a set of Panini cards, who didn't last the 90 minutes, and who looked decent, but not a world beater.

Then start reading some of the articles (actually don't, it will start the steam coming out of your ears). There's an article by former Premier League Jeff Winter saying that Mike Dean got the decision right. The article doesn't mention that Winter is a Boro fan, and that might compromise his viewpoint.

Another article refers to Boro being in the Premier League 'where they rightfully belong'. Nothing to back up the comment.

Lots of gushing about chairman Steve Gibson, but the fact that he has used Boro's losses to reduce the tax bills of some of his other companies, and therefore effectively have Boro being subsidised by the taxpayer (and satisfying FFP rules) is ignored.

I genuinely hope that Boro have a good season in the PL. On the positive its good that they are owned by a local lad, and given the recent economic issues in the nearby vicinity it's a place that needs a lift.

It's bollocks like this that makes me start to wonder if Naylor's dispassionate analysis of the Albion is perhaps a better method. A cold viewpoint lacking passion or a one eyed blog style Boro can do no wrong reporting, what is the best?

Personally the best reporting of matches IMO comes from [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION] on NSC. Someone (and it's not one of my many disguises, honest) who is incisive, witty, clearly a fan but also prepared to give the club and players stick whenever appropriate (which, to be fair, has been very rare this season).

10/10 for ramirez.....what a pillock.....:sick:

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I actually said that I do agree with what he writes, hence the opening sentence.
As regards the second sentence -- and hence, with how he writes -- his prose is awful, so wooden and predictable. There's no flair in his writing whatsoever, and I suspect that this is because he doesn't read much literature, which assists with the depth, range and powers of expression.

I agree and you're all welcome to call me pretentious if you like. I'm not expecting a sonnet every Monday, but far too often I read the argus articles and it feels so awkward. He writes like a teenager at times and frankly, I'm being generous with that statement. I can't count the amount of times I've questioned how on earth he got the job as a writer. Like, did they actually read any of his work before giving him the job? Maybe as Greg Bobkin says though, that's just the style his editor wants. Bottom of the barrel guff to fill a local rag. At least he's better than some of the people who comment on the website though, who sometimes, seemingly haven't ever actually followed an Albion game.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
To be fair to AN, his analysis column today is fairly spot on IMO.

Andy Naylor's Monday analysis is normally a pretty good and accurate read. His post match reports and pre match fillers are usually rather average. For some reason he seems to like taking issue with the consensus of opinion and making a stand against the views of the fans - the Barton stamp is the most obvious recent example.

Personally I really like Steve Hollis from the Argus who usally covers Crawley and Sussex CCC. He's objective, likeable and not afraid to write stuff which the club might not agree with. I never feel that AN really asks probing questions in pre / post match interviews.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Those Boro player ratings look like a load of bollox, but the Argus ones aren't much better.
Every player starts off with a 7, then it's either +/- 1 for a good or bad game. Occasionally iIf someone has a blinder or a real stinker then 9 or 5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here