Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you do?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Go, for all of the reasons highlighted.

I was going to suggest telling the new company that the old company tried to keep you by offering you more money (effectively asking for more money from the new place without actually saying it), but I wouldn't bother because it sort of goes against what you originally said.

A fresh start with potentially better opportunities is often the way to go...

Good luck :thumbsup:
Agree to go, but I would have thought one could let them know in due course that one was offered more money to stay whilst making it clear that you were not asking for a raise..... particularly once one is happily settled in.

Too many "one's" there. I have come over a bit King Charles.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A bit left field, but is there any chance of doing both jobs and keep both companies happy? Both part-time, or the new job full-time and the old one on a part-time/ad hoc basis? Perhaps on a freelance/contract basis? Just a thought, as you are clearly in demand.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm. I can see your dilemma. I too am on the about 60-40 on the side of 'Go', but I accept it isn't a cut 'n' dried decision.

Have you tried the old trick of tossing a coin? Say Heads you go and Tails you stay. Toss it and if it comes down (for example) heads for stay - what's your immediate reaction? Are you pleased or disappointed? I've tried this and it can help.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You also have to be careful if you stay incase your present employer holds a grudge because you decided to leave.
I would say go in this instance

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have twice been interviewed and offered posts elsewhere but decided to stay because on interview I was comparing the pros and cons and thought staying was preferential overall, mainly due to the known work/life balance compared to the unknowns. Following both times my current employer asked me to apply for a different internal post and I was successful in promotions. Having an employer try to keep you is a good sign that they can see your value but if the reasons for wanting to leave still exist then leaving may be the best path

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You seem like person who is never going to be happy working for someone, you posted something similar before you took this job.
Harsh, but fairly fair...

If OP is going to go, they should probably only go with full awareness that some new annoyance is highly likely to pop up and fill the void left by leaving behind the old annoyance. That's the nature of the beast that is the wonderful world of employment unfortunately :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've been getting annoyed in my current job and decided to start looking for a new job.

I'm currently a CNC operator but the programmer before me is crap and always causing me issues. I've been telling them for the 20 months that I've been here what they're doing is wrong and nobody was listening.

I've been wanting to get into programming for ages now so decided to start applying for programmer roles in this line of work.

A week ago I was offered a new job at a firm across the road from where I am currently.

So will be going there to design, develop 3D cad models for flattening to be cut on their lasers.

A slightly higher wage and overtime @1.5 instead of my current @1.3. but less overtime available so no increase in money, just a bit more time at home.

So my ideal job basically.

The company over the road and current company are mutual customers of each other. ( I didn't know the new job would be over the road when I applied as through an agency and the interview was all a bit cloak and dagger due to the two companies relationship).

They were worried I was just using them to get a better offer from where I am currently and stated that they'd only offer the job officially once I'd handed my notice in.

I wanted it so handed in my notice. New company phoned current company to explain that they'd offered me a job to smooth things over.

Current company now panicking because I'm leaving and royally pissed off as I'm leaving for a "friend".

Current company now made a counter offer of increased pay (more than the new job) with more overtime available than the new job albeit at a slightly lower rate, and programming the lasers whilst supervising an operator that I'm currently training before I'm due to leave.

But I said I wasn't using new company to get a better offer from current company.

I am generally a man of my word and would have stuck to it but now I've just been offered my ideal role of programming the machines and supervising at the current company.

New company is a general sheet metal firm that has customers in several fields (semiconductor, oil & gas etc so varied work)

Current company does building cladding and makes it own stuff (they did the cladding for the Amex west stand). So mainly 3mm alum panels. So no orders then no work and the company has been struggling a little over the last year or so but have recently won a few big contracts so things are looking a bit better now.

I was going to reject current company offer and I said I'd give them a couple of days then today, the last day they've upped the money side so I don't have a lot of time.

The wife, my mum and some friends have said stay.....

Other friends have said the new company looks more stable and have a healthier order book....

Stay or go?
What is your sickness package like at your current job.
If you start a new job, possibly you might not get the same sickness benefits?

I was TUPE'd across from one company to other, and they're sickness benefits are terrible.

Oh and the old adage, last in first out does still go on.

Just be careful what you wish for :thumbsup:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I agree with everyone on here - you should go. I think staying with the same company because you don't want to upset them is bad practice and will ultimately lead to a souring of the relationship, either now or in the near future. I think your instinct to look elsewhere was correct and I wouldn't turn back now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Leave.

Companies which counteroffer more money when they know you are leaving are the absolute worse.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I am amazed that anyone in this country works with CNC I thought it had all gone to China
A lot of the good stuff is still here. Very strong in automotive, aerospace, medical and semi conductor industries.

It's the cheap crap work that's going that way IMO from my experience.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In my experience of job seeking from both sides of the desk, when a person is motivated sufficiently to get off their arse to seek a change of job, rarely is the fundamental issue based solely on money.

If you stay, within weeks you will still find the same issues bugging you now, only this time you will have blotted your copybook with over the road who will likely have lost interest / confidence in you.

Make the move and if you find the grass is not as green as you hoped, there may be a passage back to your old job when they will have felt the pain of your absence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Go.

You nailed it, before money entered the discussions (and your post), which should always come second.

Happiness come first. Plus you have the opportunity to learn a whole new skillset.

But you might first want to check out the last accounts of the new company:
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/

Don’t always take as sacrosanct the conservative views of loved ones who say don’t leave a job making you unhappy. They don’t live the 40 unhappy hours a week that you do. I worked with a guy who spent 30 unhappy years in a position where he was a bit out of depth, his bullying immediate boss let him know about that and some. He stayed …. his mother always advised “Don’t jump from the frying pan into the fire”.

Instead imho, copying from a famous book title, Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Go. You seem a principled person and to let the new Company down will eat at you. You were pushed to the brink for a reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here