Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What will be the fate of the relegated clubs?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
shamelessly stolen from twitter:-

bournemouth relegated means brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the premier league and not be relegated from it.

None of them back anytime soon.

Bournemouth could well be playing pompey the season after next.

cpfc2010??

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It isnt as easy as you think with the FFP restrictions. If Stoke cant get back up quickly with all their money from Bet365 owners then it isnt going to be that simple for anyone going down.

Yes, but their players have the hardest job of anyone - they have to do it on a cold, rainy night in Stoke 20 times per season...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Norwich I think will keep most of the squad together, didn’t invest but would have planned for this and be strong next season

Watford will have use their European links to challenge

Bournemouth will struggle, I think I read on here there’s an 80m hole in the accounts which will need to balanced by player sales and reinvestment from the parachute payments to have a chance. I could see them in league 1 within 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwich have a model, I think based on Zebedee. - they will be there or thereabouts.
Bournemouth will be Ok, although may struggle to keep all their players and therefore not get automatic promotion.
Watford will lose lots of players, are a club in disarray, and will be mid table at best.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Eddie to Leeds, should Bielsa decide to bugger off?

Edit: although that would likely be unpopular with the fans of the champions of Europe, as they'll have their sights on someone like Pep, Louw or Klinsmann

I can see him at Palace. Perfect match.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that the opposite of this may be true. I think this was the 'best' season to be relegated. However hard the lockdown has been for PL clubs, its been harder still for Championship clubs - many will really struggle, especially if its a few more months before fans are back in the grounds. No real quality left in the league.

Agreed. Who of the traditionally bigger clubs is a genuine promotion threat?

Forest are in turmoil after their cluster**** of a season end. They may yet sack Lamouchi after hailing him a hero mid season. They'll effectively be starting again.

Derby are always Derby.

Sheffield Wednesday are permanently unable to get over their own massive-ness: so massive, in fact, that all of the universe's matter is gradually being sucked towards them and they will eventually implode into a Super Massive black hole, larger than anything ever envisioned except Atdhe Nuhiu.

Stoke (do they count?) might improve this season but you still don't fancy them to walk that league.

The rest are just average clubs- Brentford, Fulham, Swansea, Cardiff (whichever three are left after the play offs). Reading are hopefully going downwards not upwards. Millwall, Preston, Coventry, Birmingham....and then the little ones like Luton, Barnsley/ Wigan (appeal permitting) and Wycombe.

If we'd just been relegated, I might think this was the year to go for it and hope for a first time return. Wouldn't be the first time Bournemouth had taken that view.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/07/28/several-bournemouths-highest-earners-have-no-relegation-clauses/
From the Telegraph article:

Bournemouth could be forced to accept a cut-price fee for star man Nathan Ake after it emerged the central defender does not have a relegation clause in his contract.

Already fighting the threat of a financial crisis while trying to plan for life in the Championship, relegated Bournemouth’s best hope of raising major funds is to sell Ake, who has attracted interest from Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United.

Chelsea have a £40 million buy back option on Ake, but it is unlikely that Bournemouth will get close to that figure given they cannot afford to keep the Dutch defender, who is one of the club’s highest earners.

While most of Bournemouth’s first-team players will have to accept automatic wage reductions following relegation from the Premier League, Ake is in no such position and that will only strengthen the negotiating position of his suitors.

Other than Ake, Bournemouth face the threat of losing stars such as Callum Wilson, Josh King and David Brooks for cut-price fees as top-flight clubs seek to take advantage of their alarming financial predicament while it is understood there are also some fringe players without relegation clauses in their contracts.

While manager Eddie Howe, who is paid around £4 million a year, considers his future, Bournemouth are likely to be forced into having to sell their most valuable assets to offset the impact of relegation during the coronavirus pandemic.

In their latest set of accounts for the year ending June last year, Bournemouth revealed that the club’s wage bill had increased to £110.9 million and that their wage to turnover ratio was at a worrying 84.6 per cent. One unnamed executive’s salary and pension package rose to £1.9 million, which represented an increase of £500,000 on the previous year.

Bournemouth will be forced to sell many of their best players, but could now see their values drop due to the need to raise money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here