Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What will be the fate of the relegated clubs?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Bournemouth. They have to get back up before the parachute money runs out. Doubt they will. Howe will go and I can see them dropping down the leagues

Norwich. Strong upper mid table finish for them.

Watford. Play off's next season. They'll probably find a way back up in the next couple of seasons in the same underhand way they did before

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Watford will be fine, a basket case as always but fine.

Part of me thinks that this may not have been Norwich's plan, but certainly something they had planned for, so again, will be fine.

Bournemouth on the other hand I worry about; mass exodus of players, Smug Eddie not committing his future at the club and as they like to throw it in our faces with the "Infrastructure FC" tag by one of their fans, they haven't got the things behind the scenes to support them in the long term. You've seen how much Sunderland have struggled and they can pull in far bigger crowds than PLB could, if they don't bounce straight back up I fear it could be a hell of a long time before they dine at the top table again.

This post on their forum made me giggle after all the piss taking about “infrastructure”

333ffd07bfd8acaaeb9f8f9e5515f1a8.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Obviously they will all benefit from gallions of parachute cash but that has to be balanced against the fact that their best players will most likely be off.

My football knowledge is sketchy at best but I fail to see any of the clubs that have dropped mounting any sort of challenge to return to the PL short term. For Bournemouth in particular I can see this marking the start of a downward spiral, especially if Eddie Howe leaves. He's too good a manager for that outfit. Watford I reckon will struggle too - seems to have become a toxic club from top to bottom. Who would want to go there?

Having said all that, I'll probably be completely wrong and they'll all be back at the first time of asking.

Whilst it was a few years ago now, I read an article that said few clubs immediately bounce back. It also said that more clubs drop further down the leagues in subsequent years than get promoted at the first attempt.

My guess is none of them will be back in a year’s time.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Bournemouth owe £100m to their owner and even more crucially, £100m to third parties including £80m to other league clubs. They have a wage bill of £115m (2019 figure) with allegedly a 25% reduction for relegation. They need to sell all their good players to pay off the debts, they need to sell as many of the mid-ranking players as they can to pay the wages of the ones they can't shift. They'll be down where Huddersfield were this year - and perhaps lower.

Watford owe 380m and don't have that many saleable assets. They won't be back either.

Norwich? I don't think they're good enough, but they have "kept their powder dry" like Burnley did and so any players that leave can be replaced from the sale proceeds. They have by far the best chance.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Bournemouth owe £100m to their owner and even more crucially, £100m to third parties including £80m to other league clubs. They have a wage bill of £115m (2019 figure) with allegedly a 25% reduction for relegation. They need to sell all their good players to pay off the debts, they need to sell as many of the mid-ranking players as they can to pay the wages of the ones they can't shift. They'll be down where Huddersfield were this year - and perhaps lower.

Watford owe 380m and don't have that many saleable assets. They won't be back either.

Norwich? I don't think they're good enough, but they have "kept their powder dry" like Burnley did and so any players that leave can be replaced from the sale proceeds. They have by far the best chance.

Oh do it give it a rest please...boring the hell out of our forum and posting the same bollox on here. Perhaps our owner doesn't want to bin it all off like Hudds.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Eddie to Leeds, should Bielsa decide to bugger off?

Edit: although that would likely be unpopular with the fans of the champions of Europe, as they'll have their sights on someone like Pep, Louw or Klinsmann

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The only certainty for Bournemouth is that with relegation any hopes of a new stadium will be shelved for sometime, as they won't have the funds to build it .

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Norwich are a yo-yo club and have approached their promotion knowing this. They didn't overstretch themselves so will stay ina good position in the championship and re-challenge immediately (and will be back in 2/3 seasons with a slightly better chance of staying).

B'muff are in financial dire straits and will drop another tier either because they have sold *everyone* or go into administration.

Watford will hide their debts overseas, be loaned a squad full and make a reappearance in 3-4 seasons).

Each season will be the same... One club trying to be cany. Spend little and be the underdog. One club will break the bank, flop and go into melt down. And the third will do something dodgy to bypass FFP or whatever rules apply.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmmm.

All 3 might come straight back up - has this ever happened before ?

No, although there have been several occasions where two teams came straight back up, the last one being West Brom and Newcastle 2009/10 (WBA have been promoted twice in three seasons - the ultimate yo-yo club)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The starting point is to look at who they'll be fighting against now Leeds and West Brom are up. I don't see a lot of quality in the Championship at the moment. Relegated sides always lose big players but all three have a lot of quality; Norwich have youth while Bmuff and Watford have squads built up over 5 seasons in the Prem.

Norwich and Watford are used to yo-yoing between the top two divisions so psychologically they - and the fans - are used to this. Watford just need the right manager. I think both will be top 6 next season.

The one you fear for is Bournemouth. Howe needs a move, a new challenge. Ake, Wilson and Fraser will go, possibly Brooks. Will they be able to challenge in that stadium with that loss of quality?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They both sounded like broken men.

I expect them to both be back with the same clubs next season.

Obvs nobody knows for sure, but my best guess is I think you could be right, but for different reasons.

Deeney I reckon would leave if a PL club came in for him, I'm not sure one will due age and a pretty poor season, so that could leave him still at Watford.

Maybe Howe could be tempted "if" somebody decent came in for him, but I just don't see him jumping now.

Hes been at muff forever, from L2 to PL and has a big affinity with the club and fans.

Get them up again or at least challenging and then maybe he would walk?

But what do I know!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Eddie to Leeds, should Bielsa decide to bugger off?

Edit: although that would likely be unpopular with the fans of the champions of Europe, as they'll have their sights on someone like Pep, Louw or Klinsmann

All it would take is for pep to put in a transfer request. It's obvious Leeds are the bigger club.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Don’t care, apart from money laundering, plucky little Bournemouth.
Hope they crash and burn...and take that smug face tw@t Howe with them. Fvcking horrible tinpot club.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Watford and Norwich will be there or thereabouts next season.

Bournemouth ? Genuinely not sure....... all I know is they couldn’t have picked a worse season to be relegated bearing in mind the lost of TV money on top of what could be a depressed transfer market and no match day revenue. If their financial situation is half of what’s been quoted on here and therefore general knowledge then buying clubs will have them over a barrel.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Norwich will almost certainly be back before their parachute payments run out. Can’t decide about Watford. PLB are ****ed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Watford and Norwich will be there or thereabouts next season.

Bournemouth ? Genuinely not sure....... all I know is they couldn’t have picked a worse season to be relegated bearing in mind the lost of TV money on top of what could be a depressed transfer market and no match day revenue. .

I think that the opposite of this may be true. I think this was the 'best' season to be relegated. However hard the lockdown has been for PL clubs, its been harder still for Championship clubs - many will really struggle, especially if its a few more months before fans are back in the grounds. No real quality left in the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here