Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What will be the fate of the relegated clubs?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Deeney's quoted comments on the Beeb are brutally honest and don't make him sound like a 'broken man' to me. He clearly realises who relegation hits hardest - the people who work at the clubs off the pitch, and the fans. Extremely disappointed yeah, but broken?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter:-

Bournemouth relegated means Brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the Premier League and not be relegated from it.

None of them back anytime soon.

Bournemouth could well be playing Pompey the season after next.

That is ominous and reveals just what an achievement it’ll be for us to stay here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see them all doing ok as long as they don’t panic. Watching the playoffs now and I think they are better than this standard

Will be an interesting precedent if 2 of the managers survive

I agree, watching these Brentford and Swansea teams just now, they’re awful compared to Watford and Bmuff, even now. PL funded of course.

If they keep the vast majority of their squads, they’ll probably be there or thereabouts next season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Deeney's quoted comments on the Beeb are brutally honest and don't make him sound like a 'broken man' to me. He clearly realises who relegation hits hardest - the people who work at the clubs off the pitch, and the fans. Extremely disappointed yeah, but broken?

'I that's my last game for Watford, then....'

Then I'm a broken man? ???

I agree he sounded honest, as he always does. I regard him as a giant among football men. But he sounded like he's had enough. Hopefully he'll have a holiday, give his head a wobble, and bounce back.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I suppose if you're going to get banned then the close season is as good a time as any :rant: punish::whistle:

Don't you go rubbing me up the wrong way Nylon there'd be static everywhere

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Watford: several good players but could have to sell players such as Doucoure, Deulofeu, Pereyra, Sarr & Wellbeck. An ideal job for CH to improve such a side.

Bournemouth: plenty of their squad have previously played in the championship and are likely to give Bournemouth the year to return to the premier league. Lerma & Ake the most likely to wish to move on.

Norwich: probably got promoted too early, with a squad of youthful talent they may see Aarons, Lewis & Cantwell the subject of a few bids. The real question is weather they have enough quality left to compete next season but a rebuild is likely before they return

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I see them all doing ok as long as they don’t panic. Watching the playoffs now and I think they are better than this standard

Will be an interesting precedent if 2 of the managers survive

Not unprecedented, seem to remember Burnley and Hull going down, keeping Dyche and Bruce and bouncing straight back.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Obviously they will all benefit from gallions of parachute cash but that has to be balanced against the fact that their best players will most likely be off.

My football knowledge is sketchy at best but I fail to see any of the clubs that have dropped mounting any sort of challenge to return to the PL short term. For Bournemouth in particular I can see this marking the start of a downward spiral, especially if Eddie Howe leaves. He's too good a manager for that outfit. Watford I reckon will struggle too - seems to have become a toxic club from top to bottom. Who would want to go there?

Having said all that, I'll probably be completely wrong and they'll all be back at the first time of asking.

Eddie Howe was not good enough for Burnley, when he failed there, so what do you think his level is?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bournemouth relegated means Brighton are - as of right now - the only side in history to be promoted to the Premier League and not be relegated from it.

You've stolen one of my QUIZ QUESTIONS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A lot could happen but, as of now:

AFCB - need to keep Howe and get a massive cash injection from the iffy owner. Dropping out of the telly money when you've no other visible means of support could be suicidal. It'll all be about the money for them.

Norwich - the polar opposite. Have never spent big when they go up and already have an "over ready" Championship squad, as they played with them for most of this season. They've got more yo-yo than Jordan's knickers. They'll be fine.

Watford - dodgy loan players, three more managers, up via the playoffs.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Hmmm.

If Fulham come up via the play-offs I don't see any stand out teams in there next season.

All 3 might come straight back up - has this ever happened before ?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Might be worth a listen to his podcast appearance with Louis Theroux, made me rethink my opinion on him completely.

As for back OT:

Norwich - planned for this, will keep doing what they’re doing and bank the parachute cash. May or may not be back up but expect them to be top 6 and challenging with very little change. Even their ‘performers’ this season showed little after Christmas so unlikely to see many top flight suitors so just depends if any of them have a flounce and want out [Benrama, Pukki and Cantwell the main ones].

Watford - board may ‘re-position’ some of the talent across their other clubs and send promising youngsters in this direction. Top ten but not shoe in for promotion.

PLB - sever implosion. Saddled with high earners and now IMO few with serious re-sale value after this years car crash and COVID depressed prices I’m expecting them to really struggle for next two years. EH to stay but not have it in him for a proper re-build and get sacked when they’re 14th at Christmas.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Norwich I think will keep most of the squad together, didn’t invest but would have planned for this and be strong next season

Watford will have use their European links to challenge

Bournemouth will struggle, I think I read on here there’s an 80m hole in the accounts which will need to balanced by player sales and reinvestment from the parachute payments to have a chance. I could see them in league 1 within 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Championship looks a really weak league next year. All 3 relegated teams should be ok.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think Bmuff and Norwich will bounce straight back. Providing Eddie stays at the former. Watford less hopeful for because frankly their insane manager merry go round seems set to continue and all that disruption can’t be good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Or be a league below them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here