Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What were YOU like at 18?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Footballing ability aside, I find Ewan Ferguson’s level of maturity and confident but relaxed demeanor quite staggering especially for an 18 year old and especially in his position.

I have come across other similar youngsters (in completely different walks of life) who match the outlook and attitude of Ferguson but it still amazes me when I compare myself at this age. I’d broadly hatched a plan to move to London but this was it…I was still very wet behind the ears back then.

How about you? What were you like at his age?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was a walking lager-fuelled boner who knew nothing about the world after leaving an education system which taught me nothing about the world.

I'd love to time travel back to meet my 18 year old self, sit him down, then explain how the world works. He'd have listened, too.

As for Evan, he's probably shown outrageous talent since he was a small child and has been schooled intensively for the life he was about to live, and is now living. Good on him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fixtures.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was super-f***ing-good.

Coaching a football team, partying, talking long walks (hours and hours) to visit abandoned houses, making money through writing about football, had a very hot girlfriend (my first, and I was useless in that regard...), had a band, did a lot of creative things.

Not a worry in the world and completely disinterested in how things worked in "normal" society meaning it was literally impossible for me to feel embarrassed or have any limits to how I functioned. Fully free.

If I had continued on the path I was on when I was 18 I would have ruled the world today. But I smoked it all away instead... it is what it is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was super-f***ing-good.

Coaching a football team, partying, talking long walks (hours and hours) to visit abandoned houses, making money through writing about football, had a very hot girlfriend (my first, and I was useless in that regard...), had a band, did a lot of creative things.

Not a worry in the world and completely disinterested in how things worked in "normal" society meaning it was literally impossible for me to feel embarrassed or have any limits to how I functioned. Fully free.

If I had continued on the path I was on when I was 18 I would have ruled the world today. But I smoked it all away instead... it is what it is.
...And you are where you are.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well that was 1964....an awful long time ago. I was a police cadet in the, now defunct, East Sussex force stationed either at HQ's or at the also defunct (I believe) West Street station in Lewes. As a reasonably good goalkeeper, even as a cadet I represented the force team in inter-force games around the south of England. In my private life I was a biker riding a Velocette Venom 500cc and had a steady girlfriend (until she dumped me). Enjoyed the Rolling Stones at Hove Town Hall (the original one), The Beatles and all the other wonderful 60's music at either the Hippodrome or the Essoldo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spent most of my time wondering when I could next get stoned and didn’t care how much time I spent making sure I could get some dope, I enjoyed it :smile: … took me at least 5 more years to grow up

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
I was conducting buses from Brighton to Littlehampton (Southdown no 31) and local services 13/15 (Coldean and Mile Oak) a temporary job after leaving school, whilst waiting for an ear operation before taking up my career in banking. After one shift had my first 5 pint session (in an hour, Flowers Keg). My companion who had consumed the same amount then drove me home! Got engaged to my girlfriend of 3 years, who became my wife, and been married now for 54 years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here