What we needed tonight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Sometimes just playing football is not enough, for us to progress we need more physicallity in the team to win the battles when it does'nt just click.

Going to be an interesting Summer, players and management may leave. Everyone needs to keep right behind the club, if took Cardiff a while and some gifted players left in the process but they got there in the end.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
We really didn't do too much wrong it's just they stopped us from playing our game their defence was spot on

Really?! Can u honestly say that after a defeat? We were uninspiring 2nd half and needed FIGHTERS to bring everyone back up. A CRUNCHING tackle from El Abd for example.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We lacked bottle in the challenge all night, nobody fancied it, as an attacking threat we carried nothing. We went out with a whimper. Such a shame for everyone after a superb season!

I agree, we didn't compete, appeared not to have the same desire as Palace, came out unmotivated as if we had already won the tie, looked lethargic and second best to almost every challenge. We weren't mentally or physically tough enough and Palace were. BUT, its not just tonight, i have thought all season that this happens on Tuesday night matches we are not up for it, remember Millwall, Charlton, Cardiff at home all games where we were poor, is there something about our preparation?
Not bitter though, Palace took their chances and we didn't, they were worthy winners tonight, Poyet was out foxed by Holloway. Holloway learned from the second half of the first leg and Poyet didn't, he played the same team with the same tactics, with no other options whilst Holloway saw that if you give us little time then we can be disrupted.
Hey ho, back to the championship next year and lets hope we can improve on this season.

Last edited:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
We didn't play our best but if we'd scored instead of hitting the bar or having a header cleared off the line we could have won. Palace would have been forced to chase the game and things would have been totally different.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I agree, we didn't compete, appeared not to have the same desire as Palace, came out unmotivated as if we had already one the tie, looked lethargic and second best to almost every challenge. We weren't mentally or physically tough enough and Palace were. BUT, its not just tonight, i have thought all season that this happens on Tuesday night matches we are not up for it, remember Millwall, Charlton, Cardiff at home all games where we were poor, is there something about our preparation?
Not bitter though, Palace took their chances and we didn't, they were worthy winners tonight, Poyet was out foxed by Holloway. Holloway learned from the second half of the first leg and Poyet didn't, he played the same team with the same tactics, with no other options whilst Holloway saw that if you give us little time then we can be disrupted.
Hey ho, back to the championship next year and lets hope we can improve on this season.

This. A physical PLAN B would have gotten a few more points this year - maybe we wouldn't have been fannying around in the playoffs.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Really?! Can u honestly say that after a defeat? We were uninspiring 2nd half and needed FIGHTERS to bring everyone back up. A CRUNCHING tackle from El Abd for example.

This is so simplistic. El Abd has been a great servant to the the club but he simply wouldn't have been able to deal with an on form Zaha, Williams and Bolasie.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
No, Poyet made a poor decision. It's not Barnes' fault he isn't good enough for the championship.

Joke. Barnes is easily good enough for the Championship. I honestly think he would have been part of our PL squad had we gone up.

Carshaltonloyal

Jan 18, 2011
Couldn't make it tonight , not surprising , 5 th best away support in the league to dish out 2000 tickets .cocky ***** , can you work out this sum , 50000 divided by 35000 ?? Bridge, do me a favour xx

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
Vicente would have been useful. There seemed to be a little arrogance almost, such confidence in turning them over at home and the inexperience on that front was telling.

We were in sixth gear on march 17th but tonight we just bottled it I felt, but it's a learning curve.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Couldn't make it tonight , not surprising , 5 th best away support in the league to dish out 2000 tickets .cocky ***** , can you work out this sum , 50000 divided by 35000 ?? Bridge, do me a favour xx

You seem to have a question judging by the punctuation. If you could just rearrange the words into something resembling a sentence then we might be able to provide an answer.

D

Deleted member 22389

Barnes from the start and El Abd. People who will FIGHT for the team. It wasn't there tonight and we lost because of it.

Your right. Thinking about this morning, where was the fight. Palace where simply up for it last night. Our passing game is great when it works, but as soon as other teams stop us playing we don't have another plan. All in all it has been an excellent season. We have improved from the last season. May be next season is the one.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
What was missing? The Plan B that we've needed on occasions- and the players to deliver it. I think last night showed that this squad, whilst much improved on last year, is not good enough to go up and survive. Palace had most of the answers last night, deserved to win - and will come straight down if they are promoted. Is that what we would want- to be one-season wonders?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
To add to this, we also needed an apology from Gus - or at least an admission that he got it wrong last night. Instead he has made it all about him potentially leaving. When u lose to your rivals, that sort of talk doesn't go down well - I'm not sure Tony Bloom will be very happy with him this morning.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Very odd team selection in my opinion. Lua Lua has been on fire and doesn't start the two playoff matches, and why on earth no Vicente in the squad. Plus we've looked a lot more balanced since Barnes came back, still probably nothing would have changed the result as they didn't give us time to play our passing game and we didn't know what else to do.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I Love Adam's attitude and effort and no lack of skill but he wouldn't have lasted the whole game with the way he defends at set pieces. Probably would have conceded a penalty too.

D

Deleted member 2719

didn't notice any lack of effort?

Just couldn't get into our game.

Effort was there leo just lacked support, i would have preferred Barnes supporting Leo at home.

Poyets fault IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports