Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was wrong with our first (disallowed) goal?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wasn't far from level with it at the back of the WSU. Looked onside at full speed but like others would like to see the replay because it was very close

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Couldn't see anything wrong with it. Thought timing of the linesman's flag looked like he'd made the wrong decision for the wrong reason after the ball came back off the keeper. Haven't seen replay so could of course be deluding myself.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Top shot. Doesn't look like he's interfering with play even if he was a fraction ahead of the line. How could it then be offside when it came back off the keeper? Maybe not an outrageous decision but F annoying nonetheless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Top shot. Doesn't look like he's interfering with play even if he was a fraction ahead of the line. How could it then be offside when it came back off the keeper? Maybe not an outrageous decision but F annoying nonetheless.

That's my thinking too.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Im amazed... saw the incident again on screen in the bar in WSU after the game....and he looks definitely ONside ... where are all these people coming from that say he looks offside? When the shot is struck, hes looks onside... then Kus palms it out and he smashes it in... there is no other interpretation... unless we were all deceived by the camera as well as the live incident? I thought in all cases, he is well ONside!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Give it a couple of frames, and maybe he's in line. But it's very close either way.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Im amazed... saw the incident again on screen in the bar in WSU after the game....and he looks definitely ONside ... where are all these people coming from that say he looks offside? When the shot is struck, hes looks onside... then Kus palms it out and he smashes it in... there is no other interpretation... unless we were all deceived by the camera as well as the live incident? I thought in all cases, he is well ONside!

Couldn't say live as in the North but thought he was off on the replay. So did people nearby judging by reactions. Go figure.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Doesn't look like he's interfering with play even if he was a fraction ahead of the line. How could it then be offside when it came back off the keeper?

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an
opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save
by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who
deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered
to have gained an advantage.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The offside rule changed in 1978 said if a defender touched it last it played the attacker onside should return to that. That would reduce some of the controversy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

That's my thinking too.

Not the rule in afraid. He is gaining an advantage if it is deflected or saved to him. Not seen it yet but most saying it's onside anyway...

It's quite obvious the Lino guessed. His flag was so late too he Prob was ball watching the shot and suddenly saw cms well ahead of everyone so decided to put his flag up. The officials were poor today.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The offside rule changed in 1978 said if a defender touched it last it played the attacker onside should return to that. That would reduce some of the controversy.

Doubt it as you'll then have the issue of refs having to spot the slightest touches off defenders. It's all a massive grey area anyway...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here