Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was up with the referee?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
He had to make sure he got the 1.30am ferry back from Pompey. If he missed it, he would have had to wait for the 3am crossing, which would have been tough as he has an appointment at 8.30am in his full-time job as a self-employed plumbing and heating engineer.

How lovely to think of himself first like that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some sort of injury. The replacement ref either needed a shit or wasn't wearing the right footwear as he disappeared down the tunnel and didn't re-appear for about 5 mins.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I thought he gone down the tunnel to find out what joker had announced the crowd as 25,759. He then sent the fourth offical to count the Barnsley away support before he was allowed to take over for the last 20+ minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sharted himself ?

Are you that annoying thirteen year old who sits behind me ?

Oh and by the way that song you made up about that kid at school is neither witty or original, just plain bullying. I can't imagine where you get this from, oh wait is that your dad in the row behind you, laughing at his own "jokes" ? Suddenly it all makes sense.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Are you that annoying thirteen year old who sits behind me ?

Oh and by the way that song you made up about that kid at school is neither witty or original, just plain bullying. I can't imagine where you get this from, oh wait is that your dad in the row behind you, laughing at his own "jokes" ? Suddenly it all makes sense.

???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was limping for a few minutes before going off so I thought that it was a hamstring or similar. I thought that one of the supposed benefits of having a 4th official was that he was meant to be ready to take his track suit off and change over to take charge of the game but last night that didnt happen although the ref went into the tech area as 4th official.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I felt sure the Argus would provide the real answer, so I just had a look.

They don't even mention the incident :shrug:

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
The ref pulled a calf muscle and the fourth official trotted off to get miked up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The ref pulled a calf muscle and the fourth official trotted off to get miked up.

Is the boring but tiresomely truthful answer.

I'm not really convinced all the miking up is essential in that situation, particularly not if it's going to delay the game for five minutes. Officials got by for over a hundred years just by watching each other and flagging.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Is the boring but tiresomely truthful answer.

I'm not really convinced all the miking up is essential in that situation, particularly not if it's going to delay the game for five minutes. Officials got by for over a hundred years just by watching each other and flagging.

So the Ref,is miked up,the Linesmen are both miked up,and for FIFA games the 2 extra goal line men are miked up BUT the forth official can only hear what the others are saying ?
WTF is the reason and logic for that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Slightly off subject but the chap running the line in front of the east stand was rather odd looking. He was also very camp in his sideways movements.

When the match officials were doing a warm-up before the game by the North, just assumed they were those 'comedy' match officials that are sometimes despatched to 'entertain' us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here