Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Does anyone know the connection between the Crown and Anchor (Preston village not Shoreham) & Winston Churchill?

That's an easy one. Leigh, the landlord back in the 70s and 80s, was frequently a Churchill double. He played him in The Eagle has Landed, for example

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The street name is a giveaway.

volunteer4.jpg

The last remnants of the barracks behind the library and where the Prince Regent swimming pool is now, are some marble decorations inlaid in the pavement as you go north towards North Road. I think it might be a regimental emblem.

Pretty sure that's Dave and Jan the landlord and landlady on the far right. Must date that pic to mid 70s ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You're right. Can't comment on the beer as I don't go in there often enough. I was trying to find old photos of either The Squid And Starfish, The George Beard or the Greyhound but there's none on the net. Easy peasy but what are those pubs all now called?
Squid and Starfish is now The Globe isn't it?

I was thunderously pissed in there and missed the first Fatboy Slim beach party as I didn't know what day it was.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The George Beard, is that now called The Eagle?

I used to drink in the GB a lot in 1991/2/3. For a while I did the Sunday night quiz too, got paid half a gallon of Harveys :-D.
Interesting things about it :
My Auntie was a barmaid there in the 70's
It used to be a police station, in the cellar the cells are still there (no bars though).
Brighton Trade Union Council held their first ever meting there.
The landlord at the time was a former footballer, had played for Southend (Graham something, Sargent ??)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to drink in the GB a lot in 1991/2/3. For a while I did the Sunday night quiz too, got paid half a gallon of Harveys :-D.
Interesting things about it :
My Auntie was a barmaid there in the 70's
It used to be a police station, in the cellar the cells are still there (no bars though).
Brighton Trade Union Council held their first ever meting there.
The landlord at the time was a former footballer, had played for Southend (Graham something, Sargent ??)

Did you live near the pub in the early 90s?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Did you live near the pub in the early 90s?

I lived in Vere Road, about a 20 minute walk. One evening in there a couple of us got a map and copy of the Yellow Pages and worked out how many pubs were nearer to our flats than the GB; for me it was about 40

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I lived in Vere Road, about a 20 minute walk. One evening in there a couple of us got a map and copy of the Yellow Pages and worked out how many pubs were nearer to our flats than the GB; for me it was about 40

I know where that is.
I wonder how many of those 40 pubs are still there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here