Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] What was the first news story you remember?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Local: a murder by the Orion cinema, Hassocks mid-50s?
National: Anthony Eden being Prime Minister (unfortunately).
International: World Cup 1958 in Sweden and Brazil with Pele, Didi, Vava and more.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Seems until the age of 8 I was blissfully in my own little world playing "war" around The Good Shepherd Church grounds, Dyke Road Park and along Reigate Road with my mates.

I have a useless memory for news, but…

share very fond memories of those locations - I lived in Reigate Road. Much of my early life spent bombing round the church on various dodgy bikes. Remember the church hall ahem accidentally catching fire once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assembly at Prep school when the Cuban Missile crisis had escalated to critical level and being told by the head master that we could be on the cusp of a nuclear war.

As you can imagine that impacted big time on a 10 year old :down:

Next was being in prep and a master coming in and telling us that JFK was dead

I could take you to the exact place I was in both instances

I spent most of my young life in Malaya and all over Africa so have no recollection of anything stunning in local or National news. Moving so often made my parents decide to send me to boarding school at 8, bloody loved it

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Reminded of Aberfan. I was coming back from Blackpool after a holiday there with parents. Remember it being on the news and Father saying it was close to where we were. Close as in we were on the equivalent of the M6 at the time.
And the Torrey Canyon sinking in 1967 with planes trying to blow it up.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Great Thread, I was born in 1953 and my memory is a bit sketchy of my early years, so like others I've been on Google to refresh it. These are the things that I can recall, having been reminded of them!

Local - 1958 Southern Television was launched, big thing when you're a kid and have been used to watching only BBC TV.

National - 1958 1st Hovercraft launched, this was massive to me as a 5 year old, a real flying saucer! And soon after every kid in the country had a Dinky model of it.

International - I vaguely remember Sputnik 1 being launched by the Russians in 1957, and the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 which nearly led to WW3.
But I was a lot more interested when the USA launched their Telstar Satellite in 1962 as we could receive live pictures from The USA for the first time, and The Tornados released this classic

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Having had a think, I do recall us driving somewhere and the news of Stirling Moss’ accident at Goodwood coming through on the radio

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I remember seeing a bit of the 9pm news one night and they were covering Jeffrey Dahmer's trial. I would have been 9 or 10 years old. Scared the shit out of me. Still remember it now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Local: Southdown bus blown from the Toll Bridge into the River Adur 1/1 49
National: Death of King George VI 1952
International: Sinking of the Flying Enterprise also 1952

I should be able to remember the King dying and the Coronation the next year but I have no memory of it at all.
We didn't have a television until 1961 and the radio was only on for specific programmes, so that probably explains it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aberfan disaster.

Same for me very sadly. That horrible grainy footage. I was just a wee boy at the time. Dad was taking me to my first Scotland game, v Wales at Ninian Park. The Aberfan disaster was the day before the game and twenty miles away. I'd never seen grown-ups cry before. I didn't know they could

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There are some proper old codgers on NSC :lolol:

Enjoying this thread :thumbsup:

Disappointed that nobody has come up with Take That breaking up and how suicidal they were :wink:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Probably something to do with the Falklands War.

HMS Sheffield being hit to be more precise.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Probably something to do with the Falklands War.

HMS Sheffield being hit to be more precise.

Didn’t that happen during a night game at the Goldstone? I have a very clear memory of a British ship being hit whilst actually at a game

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Disappointed that nobody has come up with Take That breaking up and how suicidal they were :wink:

Seems more of a Crodo thing TBH

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
International: Voyager 2 Launch (being a couple of weeks before Voyager 1)

National/local: The risk of Skylab crashing on us. Closely followed by Skylab not crashing on us.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The miners strikes and the bombing of the grand, I reckon. Although I don't remember much more than seeing the images on TV.

I'm guessing the IRA bombing The Grand covers all three slots of Local, National and International.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While aware of events earlier that these, I don't recall how I experienced them.

Local - Winter 1967 School was closed and we were sent home, the snow was virtually up to my waist and I recall someone skiing down the bank in Victoria Park
National - Decimalisation
International - Moon Landing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here