What was the biggest mistake?

WHICH HAS HAD THE BIGGEST NEGATIVE AFFECT ON THE ALBION

• Ulloa leaving for £8 million?

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Murray leaving for sod all?

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • Dean saunders leaving for 60k

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Not signing Ian Wright after trialing?

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Losing Barnes made no difference to what happened last season, we finished well off the automatics and our second string defence would have seen us bomb out of the playoffs whoever we had in attack.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Total crap , he didn't start playing for Blackpool till 1981 and Mullery had left by then , he joined Man City in 1987 and Allison and Bamber were history by then

He was a young lad about to break into the Blackpool squad at 17 years old when Peter Suddaby recommended him to Mullery who tried to buy him before he left to manage Charlton briefly. Thinking about it I am probably getting mixed up with the Man City manager being Allison it was probably Mel Machin. I know for certain Bamber refused to psy the money for him and as I said , quoted the lack of interest by Liverpool and Everton as his logical reasoning.

Dec 3, 2012
Dean Saunders and Mark Beeney were both sold on the banks insistence so we had no choice. Roy Keane arrived and went straight back home as he was homesick. Ian Wright was only a young lad playing non league for Greenwich and the management decided he didnt have the potential to be any good. Ulloa was sold for a decent price which represented a good deal for us. Murray in hindsight was a mistake but I think that 2 others were bigger b...s ups

Mullery wanted to buy Paul Stewart from Blackpool on a reccomendation from Peter Suddaby but Mike Bamber said No he cant be any good as Everton and Liverpool arent after him, a couple of weeks later Malcolm Allison signed him for Man City. Trevor Stevens was recomended by a scout but the head scout went to watch him and said he was too small and not to bother after that he signed for Everton and had a very distinguished career with Monaco, Rangers and England.

Not sure that Wright was that young, early twenties I believe and I'm pretty sure he scored in the trial games he played for Brighton. Think he got 2 or 3 in one game. Was a very bad decision not to sign him especially as he popped up at Palace a short while later, was given the opportunity and never looked back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct about Trevor Steven (not Stevens - different player)

Also, around the exact same time, we had John Aldridge here on trial in pre-season, but turned him down. In the corridor outside the changing rooms / tunnel at the Goldstone, there used to be a load of printed photos of players in training. One showed a load of them struggling up a hill on a run, with Aldridge at the front.

You are correct, typing error, Trevor Stevens was a full back at Everton. Trevor Steven was a winger at Burnley at the time but spotted as a young lad playing in their reserves.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You are correct, typing error, Trevor Stevens was a full back at Everton. Trevor Steven was a winger at Burnley at the time but spotted as a young lad playing in their reserves.

Gary Stevens was the FB, namesake of our own. I think they may both have gone to Mexico 86

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Losing Barnes made no difference to what happened last season, we finished well off the automatics and our second string defence would have seen us bomb out of the playoffs whoever we had in attack.

Probably right, but arguably he was one of the best defensive players we had in terms of tracking back and putting in a shift. Could have done with him u front this season as well, more presence than anything else we have currently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not signing Denis Law for not very much from Huddersfield was a bit of a blooper at the time, as was the rapid dismantling of Barry Lloyd's 1991 team (Pates, Byrne, Small, Codner et al) - that was a pretty handy team!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Ian Wright, or even Roy Keane who was left off this thread. Murray was a mistake, but looking at the players Wright and Keane ended on becoming - thats a bigger mistake.

Ulloa certainly isnt a mistake, we got a brilliant price which if he keeps scoring - will increase further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here