Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was going on between Gardner (?) and Bournemouth players at the end?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
As I have said I can understand why the ref gave it but think there was some doubt. I would love to see it in super slow motion frame by frame but dont have the wherewithall.
Where was the doubt? That has to be the clearest possible penalty. Dunk had his head in his hands almost before the ref blew and none of our players complained. Or are you being 'ironic' ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BG does have a bit of a point regarding the way Wilson stuck his leg out. If Dunk hadn't been sliding in, Wilson could have tripped him over. But since Dunk had already gone to ground, he didn't have much of a case.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where was the doubt? That has to be the clearest possible penalty. Dunk had his head in his hands almost before the ref blew and none of our players complained. Or are you being 'ironic' ?

This. Absolutely stonewall penalty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
May be to do with the tackle he made immediately after he himself had been fouled? Does that make sense?

In case any one missed it, it was probably this.

There was a moment where someone slid in dangerously, he jumped out of the way and chased after a loose ball colliding with one of their players. By the time of the latter foul, the ref had already blown for the one by the Bournemouth player. There was a bit of puffing up about Gardner's challenge at the time, but I imagine it carried over at the final whistle.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
BG does have a bit of a point regarding the way Wilson stuck his leg out. If Dunk hadn't been sliding in, Wilson could have tripped him over. But since Dunk had already gone to ground, he didn't have much of a case.

The real point is that Dunk shouldn't have given the referee the choice as Wilson was going away from goal and would have had to swivel to get in a shot which the goalkeeper should have saved at the near post. Also if Dunk had stood his ground he may also have blocked the shot, whereas he had contact with Wilson. A soft penalty maybe but one that could have been avoided. Dunk's reaction when the penalty was given also showed that he realised he had made the wrong decision and as others have said not too many Albion players argued the decision. Dunk had had a bad 10 minutes before that, but to be fair to him it's his only bad spell for the whole of the season so far. Easily are most consistent performer.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Pointless debate. After all, the ref was born and is based in Bournemouth. Conspiracy theories abound!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know why people are replying to BensGrandad. It's not a real person! I mean, nobody will ever see him in real life. It's a parody account run by mods here to keep driving traffic through the site.

After all, the "nasty" ones in Big Brother drew the viewers, not the nice guys!

Everything he says is contrary to keep us lot replying to it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In case any one missed it, it was probably this.

There was a moment where someone slid in dangerously, he jumped out of the way and chased after a loose ball colliding with one of their players. By the time of the latter foul, the ref had already blown for the one by the Bournemouth player. There was a bit of puffing up about Gardner's challenge at the time, but I imagine it carried over at the final whistle.

seems the most plausible reason...i thought Gardner pulled out of it ..certainly didnt seem to do the guy any harm...as you say neither seemed to end it all at 90 minutes

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The real point is that Dunk shouldn't have given the referee the choice as Wilson was going away from goal and would have had to swivel to get in a shot which the goalkeeper should have saved at the near post. Also if Dunk had stood his ground he may also have blocked the shot, whereas he had contact with Wilson. A soft penalty maybe but one that could have been avoided. Dunk's reaction when the penalty was given also showed that he realised he had made the wrong decision and as others have said not too many Albion players argued the decision. Dunk had had a bad 10 minutes before that, but to be fair to him it's his only bad spell for the whole of the season so far. Easily are most consistent performer.

Agree with most of this, apart from the fact Dunk was awful at Brentford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here