jg_22_026.jpg

Queens Road / Gloucester Road, 1984

jg_31_178.jpg

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
the highlight of 1984 in Brighton was, undoubtedly the opening of

RED RAT RECORD RENTALS in sydney st.

They would hire out an LP for, i think 50p a night (with a deposit) and you could tape the f*cker before returning the vinyl. Good music, on the cheap.

The spotify generation dont know they're born...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

They would hire out an LP for, i think 50p a night (with a deposit) and you could tape the f*cker before returning the vinyl. Good music, on the cheap.

Great call, had forgotten all about that. I did not record them however, simply played them to see if I liked then purchased from Our Price or Boots! To record would be illegal. (Blimey, forgot about BASF CrO2 (silver), basic BASF (yellow/orange) and FeO2 (Green). Never did any home taping though. :whistle:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
On the plus side is was piss easy to drink underage in 1984 Brighton,not quite as accommodating as Burgess Hill but still easy......and Sphinx kebabs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was 13 in 1984 and living in Crawley, but I know my brother moved to Brighton because he could buy a flat for about 60% of what a flat would cost in Crawley.
I was spending £5 on a Saturday to get a train to travel to the Goldstone, buy 10 fags, a programme, entry to the ground and a bag of chips from the Sing Li chip shop by the station. The Sing Li chip shop is exactly the same as it was in 1984, except the bloke behind the counter is Grey haired now, but it is the same bloke.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Great call, had forgotten all about that. I did not record them however, simply played them to see if I liked then purchased from Our Price or Boots! To record would be illegal. (Blimey, forgot about BASF CrO2 (silver), basic BASF (yellow/orange) and FeO2 (Green). Never did any home taping though. :whistle:

i'd forgotten you could buy records in boots! yes, the quality of cassette you chose for each album was a badge of how much you rated it...

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Brighton was a bit of a dump in 1984 from what I can remember it was looking very tired, when did the revamp start the new shopping centre the prom etc all after 1984 that's for sure

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bank Holiday mondays were still tasty every now and then.

I used to work at the Argus when it was in Robert Street. I ran copy for journalists and sub-editors. On Bank Holidays there'd still be dust ups between mods and rockers on the beach.

The North Laine was still a great place to be. The market on Upper Gardner Street always had a stall selling cassettes of illegal live recordings. I got loads of music from there.

The Zap Club was the place to go under the Arches down the front (before all the scummy clubs that are down there now opened).

And the Druids Head used to be a great pub. Don't know what it's like now, but it was great in that I could get served as a 16 year old who clearly looked 16.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Virgin records had a shop at the end of Air Street and almost opposite the Albion Shop of today.

Forgotten about Vinyl Demand. Spent too much time in there.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Was that the dark shop with a narrow walkway up the middle and vinyl on either side? Seemed to sell far too much Jethro Tull and the likes?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
After Melia wasn't given a contract and Cattlin was given the job, the second division, at a glance could be confused with the Premier league as it is today. The football was still reasonably carefree as it had become under Mullery, after Mike Bailey's straight jacketed teams.
The Brighton movers and shakers, and characters who have later become characters in Peter James books were still thronging to the Kings Club, the 1984 version was later sold and became the Ocean rooms.
North Laine was in those days referred to by local people as Gardner Street, North Road, Trafalgar Street, whichever bit you were referring too. North Laine, where's that? would probably have been the question asked, if you spoke to somebody who hadn't attended Sussex University in those days.
This was probably about the time that Brighton stopped being like a big village, where you knew lots of people and everybody seemed to know lots of people you knew. It is certainly a lot different to the place I grew up in. But then as has already been mentioned a lot of that has to do with the University and for the last fifteen years I've only visited, although what is left of my family still live in the City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here