Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some big films that year...

Terminator
This Is Spinal Tap
Ghostbuster
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Killing Fields
Beverly Hills Cop

And that Bank Holiday on ITV regular, Romancing The Stone.

Ah, Ghostbusters. Went to see that with a mate at the Odean. Afterwards smoked my first ever Silk Cut in one of the arcades in West St. Pretty sure I was wearing a pair of these, partly earned by winning games of 'throw the coin against the wall' at school.

View attachment 50282

Jan 30, 2008
Wasn't this a live venue?

jg_25_136.jpg
YES i've been there , the vaults, plenty of punk gigs held there:wink:
regards
DR

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
What ever happened to Timbo?
Great entertainment, the was also Rod Lucas on radio kent, similar style of wacky humour and chat, shame those kind of shows got cancelled because of people's desire to find offence in anything at all.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
The casual scene was already in full swing in 1984.
Personally I think it started in Brighton in 1980-81, my school class photo 1981 some of us are wearing Lyle & Scott and Pringle jumpers. This was just the start of the casual scene before Fila, Taccini and Ellesse sportswear appeared.

1984 saw loads of lads and lasses wearing casual gear and not just football fans.

Don't forget the Kicker boots :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't forget the Kicker boots :)

A lad came into our school class about 1979 or 80, he came from London and he told me about Kicker Boots back then, I had never heard of them.
They were very popular in the early 80s in Brighton.

Flex Your Head

Blimey , Andy Standen in the Clash tshirt and the top of my head just below him !!!
God I feel old........
Ha, I remember spotting Andy the last time PF posted that pic too. Trying to work out who you might be... Spino? Stig?

Mark C did indeed work at Virgin in Western Road (at the same time as me), but it didn't open till early summer 1985.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Ha, I remember spotting Andy the last time PF posted that pic too. Trying to work out who you might be... Spino? Stig?

Mark C did indeed work at Virgin in Western Road (at the same time as me), but it didn't open till early summer 1985.

Ah Mr Tompsett ..........It is I , Spino !

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hello everyone. Where was the church/ballet school/The Vaults that both Pretty Pink Fairy and TLO have posted. it's the large building in the background that is intriguing.

Jan 30, 2008
Hello everyone. Where was the church/ballet school/The Vaults that both Pretty Pink Fairy and TLO have posted. it's the large building in the background that is intriguing.
I i should have said the crypt, this was at the top end of north road / Queens road junction

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I was 13 in 1984 and living in Crawley, but I know my brother moved to Brighton because he could buy a flat for about 60% of what a flat would cost in Crawley.
I was spending £5 on a Saturday to get a train to travel to the Goldstone, buy 10 fags, a programme, entry to the ground and a bag of chips from the Sing Li chip shop by the station. The Sing Li chip shop is exactly the same as it was in 1984, except the bloke behind the counter is Grey haired now, but it is the same bloke.

Cracking chips, at Sing Li - a time warp shop!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I remember Brighton had a Gamley's toy shop back in 1984, opposite Churchill Sq.

A proper toy shop, with proper toys :)

In Imperical Arcade? I almost won a Giant Connect4 competition there, as a kid- was featured in the Arsegas i think..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here