Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What to do after the final whistle?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
ST’s sold out last April. There was plenty of time for the OP to try out things after the final whistle. I would also add the race course P&R is a relatively fast service with the amount of double deckers running, we leave after the final whistle and don’t have much of an issue.
Park at the Bridge, get the train or P&R you will always have to queue somewhere it’s a football match with 30k people attending.
Either you’re mad or I am, I can’t work out which. WTF have the date STs sold out last season got to do with anything? I’m not trying to buy a ST, I’m trying to get some information on my options to kill a bit of time after the match so that I don’t have the usual chaos of the queue on the bridge for the eastbound train, or the queue up to the P and R buses. (Tip - Check the title of the thread for confirmation.)

Yes, I had all of last season and all of the season before that and most of the one before that — not to mention odd matches for several years before that when I was back in the UK from my job overseas — to hang around and do some field research but I didn’t. Again, as explained, I’ve picked up the bad habit of leaving early or racing out right on the whistle — and I’m fed up with it. I want to hang around for a while and that’s what I’m asking about. It’s not that hard to understand!

So please don’t tell me that STs are sold out or that I could have done the research myself without asking here. Yes, I could have. No, I didn't. Sorry! I will delete my account and never inconvenience you again if it’s too hard for you!

Now then, where was I….?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Either you’re mad or I am, I can’t work out which. WTF have the date STs sold out last season got to do with anything? I’m not trying to buy a ST, I’m trying to get some information on my options to kill a bit of time after the match so that I don’t have the usual chaos of the queue on the bridge for the eastbound train, or the queue up to the P and R buses. (Tip - Check the title of the thread for confirmation.)

Yes, I had all of last season and all of the season before that and most of the one before that — not to mention odd matches for several years before that when I was back in the UK from my job overseas — to hang around and do some field research but I didn’t. Again, as explained, I’ve picked up the bad habit of leaving early or racing out right on the whistle — and I’m fed up with it. I want to hang around for a while and that’s what I’m asking about. It’s not that hard to understand!

So please don’t tell me that STs are sold out or that I could have done the research myself without asking here. Yes, I could have. No, I didn't. Sorry! I will delete my account and never inconvenience you again if it’s too hard for you!

Now then, where was I….?
Don't stress CM, all very valid points. You will note Justice describes himself as a "dangerous idiot".......! I would add paranoid to that too!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

Now then, where was I….?
There’s some paranoid odd-bods on here. Don’t rise to the bait, it’s not worth the stress.

There‘s also a very handy “ignore” function on here that you might find very useful :lolol:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
We sit in the EU and always stay to clap the players off. We then stay until we get kicked off the concourse, having a coffee and using the facilities.

We then walk to the station to get the train to Lewes and normally we can get on the next one without queueing.

If it is a night game, or the trains aren't running we try to get a space at the Bridge. If we do. we just stay to clap the players off and head off to the car for a coffee from a flask and we listen to the radio in the warm, until the car park clears.
Ta. So is the 5.30 match shown on EU concourse? That’s the thing, I don’t want to 'get kicked off the concourse', I want to be able to watch the first half somewhere with a beer or two and amble over to the station. If I’m going to get booted off I may as well head for Dick's. For night games I’ll probably stick with the Racecourse and hare across to the P and R bus a fraction before the whistle.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Yes, I had all of last season and all of the season before that and most of the one before that — not to mention odd matches for several years before that when I was back in the UK from my job overseas — to hang around and do some field research but I didn’t. Again, as explained, I’ve picked up in the habit

Now then, where was I….?
🥹

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
You'll need to do a bit of training to jump up and down pumping the air to 'Freed From Desire' and hopefully you aren't epileptic to enjoy the light show. Then amble round to Dick's Bar, enjoy a pint near someone your own age and join in with their conversation. Then wander back to train or P & R and home. Rinse and repeat two or three times and you'll probably find you have a couple of mates each match in the bar.
Teensy bit patronising but you’ve kept it just goodnatured enough so we’ll say no more about it on this occasion… :)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I always stay and have a few beers in the concourse, watch the first half of the 5.30, once you have two beers or so, the queues are non existent, unless something really bad has happened (like a signal failure or fatality) then you just walk on an empty train, lagered up. Started doing it a few seasons ago and never looked back, good if you can convince a mate to stay.
As someone who also does this I can confirm it's the best option. I end up often getting home not long after I would if I just went down the station anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stinks of Palace, ST’s for the coming season sold out way before the end of last season plenty of time to test out the transport after the final whistle for yourself.
Can we please stop this kind of thing, please?

There's no piss-taking nor trolling here, so just take the post in good faith.

Whether the user is a Palace fan or not - and there's absolutely nothing to suggest it is - providing a useful and informative answer is almost certainly going to be of help to others on here, either today or at some point in the future.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Now then, where was I….?
Good response. I'm sure @Justice will climb down from his high horse shortly. The new king of hoity toitiness? ??? :wink:

I was given a very bespoke solution to my problem, which was slightly different to yours (mine was about parking) but the solution likewise suddenly offered the opportunity to not do my trademark vamoose at 85 minutes. Being odd, however, this has simply allowed me to stay till the end and then walk to the car rather than run.

I'm glad people have provided you with some good options.

The one factor I'd add is that we are likely to have a lot of peculiar rearrangements and evening KOs if we hang around in the Europa league for any length of time. Hanging about late on a Monday night (getting home at one in the morning) is deffo not an option for me and may not be for you, so you may find that an early exit is not entirely scrubbed from your repertoire of options.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Can we please stop this kind of thing, please?

There's no piss-taking nor trolling here, so just take the post in good faith.

Whether the user is a Palace fan or not - and there's absolutely nothing to suggest it is - providing a useful and informative answer is almost certainly going to be of help to others on here, either today or at some point in the future.
Thanks. This 'Palace fan' thing is so bizarre. Would love to know the train of thought that took him to that conclusion. It’s like the 'reds under the bed' paranoia from the McCarthy era. Y'start to see those darn commies everywhere you look.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Good response. I'm sure @Justice will climb down from his high horse shortly. The new king of hoity toitiness? ??? :wink:

I was given a very bespoke solution to my problem, which was slightly different to yours (mine was about parking) but the solution likewise suddenly offered the opportunity to not do my trademark vamoose at 85 minutes. Being odd, however, this has simply allowed me to stay till the end and then walk to the car rather than run.

I'm glad people have provided you with some good options.

The one factor I'd add is that we are likely to have a lot of peculiar rearrangements and evening KOs if we hang around in the Europa league for any length of time. Hanging about late on a Monday night (getting home at one in the morning) is deffo not an option for me and may not be for you, so you may find that an early exit is not entirely scrubbed from your repertoire of options.
Thanks. I have tried other options like paying to park on driveways in Coldean or getting the Seagull Travel bus but both are expensive. The ST bus is ideal in a way but it’s £315 for the season from where I live. Seems like a lot when I could get the train for free. OTOH, the convenience! Plus I’d be saving the cost of a couple of pints after the game… will have to do some sums. The fact is that no solution is ideal. It’s a case of finding the least bad option.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Ta. So is the 5.30 match shown on EU concourse? That’s the thing, I don’t want to 'get kicked off the concourse', I want to be able to watch the first half somewhere with a beer or two and amble over to the station. If I’m going to get booted off I may as well head for Dick's. For night games I’ll probably stick with the Racecourse and hare across to the P and R bus a fraction before the whistle.
No not on the ESU concourse, but I think it is in the North Stand (have never been there myself so can't say for certain) so most from the ESU migrate there if they want to watch the 5:30 game.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
We always hang back at the end of the game and clap players off. Then its concourse for a bit to chat with mates or chat with randoms. Then we trudge up the hill to the 25 bus stop at the University and catch bus to bottom of elm grove then wait for 22 bus to take us home (you can get off at racecourse and get back to your car if using P&R). We find this quicker than waiting in the queue for P&R.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Id say in deepest darkest winter especially mid week the concourse can be a bit of a grim affair.

Since we have been at the AMEX I have always stayed back and had a couple of pints then wondered down to the train. Dicks is probably a better option in the winter months though if you want something a little warmer and more comfortable. Another alternative is to walk up to the Swann and then walk back down a bit later, not so bad if you are getting the bus, bit of a mission if you are getting the train.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
In the end, OP is just looking for the same sort of post-match travel hack as the rest of us. Anybody who's come up with a brilliant one would be well advised to keep it to themselves rather than post it on here :lolol:
Yes that’s true and I’ve made no secret of that. I have learnt a few things eg that the 1730 match is shown, at least in the NS concourse. And Dick's. For some reason I thought that was one of those exclusive places that aren’t for riff-raff like me.

I’ll try staying behind after the Luton game and catching the first half of Villa-Newcastle. Disappointing to hear that Dick's closes before the end of the match. So be it. I feel I’ve advanced my knowledge at least, and perhaps the discussion might have benefited others too. If it doesn’t work out, ok, it’s back to the 90th minute dash.

It would be nice if the club read this and realised how many people have the same issue, and improved post-match facilities. Would earn them a few quid extra too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here