Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] what to do about the home atmosphere?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The answer, which has probably already been said, is reduce the capacity. I hate going to the AMEX. It’s a grim reminder of the direction match day support has gone. It’s second team supporters, football tourists and the bored with life mostly.

Ridiculous comment. The answer is to entertain a full house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I admire your sentiment but in the real world, that will never happen. It doesn't happen anywhere either.

If the team is really going for it then the atmosphere will improve. If they play like they did 2nd half yesterday by trying to up the possession stats but only around our penalty area, there will be silence as people nod off.

Agree. At Anfield the Liverpool fans started off with their usual fervour but even when they were 2-0 up it soon faded and they were completely silent for most of the second half when their team were failing to dominate. We all know the Emirates is the same and most of the big teams when they play us.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just watching west ham Liverpool. Atmosphere not great considering the game and scoreline in west ham's favour. Liverpool losing and not had much of a sniff of goal, and guess what... The scousers are rather quiet.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I don;'t really care about the atmosphere at home. It is what it is. It would be nice if it is was rocking from 0 -95 minutes but it isn't and won't be

I don't believe it motivates the players as has been proven by Clubs like Wimbledon & Wigan doing well and winning things with little backing.

Everyone says the Sheff Weds play off game was the best atmosphere at the Amex - what happened ? - we drew !

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just watching west ham Liverpool. Atmosphere not great considering the game and scoreline in west ham's favour. Liverpool losing and not had much of a sniff of goal, and guess what... The scousers are rather quiet.

Score and suddenly they've woken up agaim

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
aware I'm playing with fire by starting this thread here maybe, and I'm not having a pop at the fans or reincarnating the 'early leavers' threads of yesteryear.

But God, home games are depressing these days. not even because of the result. but the atmosphere was flat from first minute to the last today, and generally has been pretty much since fans came back. the north stand try, but I think we managed two rounds of 'albiiooonn' today followed by utter silence for the rest of the match. and the problem is that this is the norm nowadays, and I definitely think it transfers to the players.

genuinely I'm not sure how we fix this, and this thread is pretty much asking for what suggestions people may have, I know people slate drums and singing sections as tin pot, but it's at the point now where the home atmosphere is genuinely making home games unenjoyable anymore.

Like sitting in your car complaining about the traffic.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
A lot to pull out, much of which has been said before but:

1) Singers are split everywhere which is not the case away. Two different crews either side of the North who can't hear each other. I noticed at the City game the NSK under the police box had totally disappeared by 85 mins and yesterday it was empty there on 40 minutes. Presumably all off to refill their hooters. There are also a few songs and certainly a lot of passion where I am (back of G in the WSU) but I doubt many can hear us from there - we're too far away.

2) As stated all over this thread most English crowds are reactive. Brighton almost always are. The exceptions are the big games. Even at the much vaunted Goldstone it was like that. Southampton in the Cup QF in 86 was mental and you had to be in the ground at 1.30 to get a good place in the NS. Ditto the Bristol Rovers promotion game and Arsenal cup games a year later. By 88 we probably had average crowds of 8-10,000 at most games and 200 singing max. In the Amex era see Sheffield Weds playoff, Palace games, Wigan and the odd must win PL game against a big club and, er, that's it. Partly because of 1)

3) We were absolute garbage yesterday. So I don't blame anyone who wanted to bunk out for a pint or couldn't get motivated. 1+2 = 3.

We've always had decent away support though. At first this season it was really good to be back "home" and some kind of normality but I'm already craving away games for a bit of edge and atmosphere that we seem unable to create and that may have been blunted further by yesterday's programme notes.

Agree with all this bar point 3 which i think is a bit strong ! Peoples perception of atmosphere is , like a lot of things , affected in a large part by what happens on the pitch . Imagine what it would be like if we ever were to smash a side comfortably ?..............
Now back to reality as it isn't going to happen !
Spot on regarding away support as all of those fans are by nature of the points system etc all the sort who will get behind the team and be very vocal .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
except for the part where I explicitly stated that I wasn't having a go and that the post was asking for suggestions of ways to improve the atmosphere

I didn’t say you were having a go or that you weren’t asking for suggestions, did I? :)

My suggestion? Stop lamenting nobody is singing and sing up, old boy!!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I didn’t say you were having a go or that you weren’t asking for suggestions, did I? :)

My suggestion? Stop lamenting nobody is singing and sing up, old boy!!

what I was getting at was that perhaps more organisation would help the atmosphere, as opposed to just telling everyone to sing louder.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Anyone watching Sky now will understand how a goal and players running direct at the other team boost the noise.
15 min ago it was flat . Nothing from the 45000+ home fans,
They score , Antonio runs direct at them , and others do and the place is noisy as hell.

Just needs excitement from running direct . Not passing side to side and back to side and so on - which is what we did from 80th minute to 83rd , passing from goalie to defence and so on.
3 solid minutes of it and ball only just made it over the half way line.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm guessing macbeth means I'm terms of singing groups altogether rather than spread across different parts of the north

But won't that mean asking people to move seats? How will that conversation go? " sorry old chap but we've noticed that you don't sing as loudly as some young bloke in the far corner so we'd like you to surrender your nice halfway up the North stand central seat that you've had since the stadium opened ".

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
What exactly do you mean by more organisation?

firstly I'll say that I don't have some grand plan that'll fix everything, hence the invitation for suggestions in my original post. but I think perhaps maybe getting the main singing sections of the north a bit closer to eachother would maybe stop some of the instances of two groups of fans singing different chants at the same time.

Also the South West stand. That used to be 'flag central', with a good bit of atmosphere and in prime territory to give the away fans some banter. But the atmosphere there has been declining for the last few seasons, like the rest of the ground. I think maybe a dedicated south west fans group would help get the atmosphere back to where it was (if one doesn't exist already). just some ideas which people may or may not like.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But won't that mean asking people to move seats? How will that conversation go? " sorry old chap but we've noticed that you don't sing as loudly as some young bloke in the far corner so we'd like you to surrender your nice halfway up the North stand central seat that you've had since the stadium opened ".

I agree, I don't think it will work, which is a shame. I was just pointing out what I thought macbeth meant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here