[Albion] What time did you leave?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup.

This has been discussed on most of the train threads. There isn't enough rolling stock on the line to cope with both the evening service, which is more regular than weekend even at 10pm and the football if all trains were to be 8 cars long.

Apologies for the tag @jackalbion but I'm pretty sure some effort is made to move as much stock over to football as they can as many of the trains seem to actually be Gatwick Express livery / configuration. But, as for Southern, they will be prioritising their paying commuter customers. When I'm commuting I tend to get the 17.46 home from Victoria if I've no late meetings. The final destination of that is Littlehampton arriving at just before 8pm. It's 12 cars by standard and there's a lot of moaning if it's short formed and possible declassification, so that's a 12 car unit that's in LA on totally the wrong route during the game. By 10pm it will probably just have arrived in London again. And that's one train.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yup.

This has been discussed on most of the train threads. There isn't enough rolling stock on the line to cope with both the evening service, which is more regular than weekend even at 10pm and the football if all trains were to be 8 cars long.

Apologies for the tag @jackalbion but I'm pretty sure some effort is made to move as much stock over to football as they can as many of the trains seem to actually be Gatwick Express livery / configuration. But, as for Southern, they will be prioritising their paying commuter customers. When I'm commuting I tend to get the 17.46 home from Victoria if I've no late meetings. The final destination of that is Littlehampton arriving at just before 8pm. It's 12 cars by standard and there's a lot of moaning if it's short formed and possible declassification, so that's a 12 car unit that's in LA on totally the wrong route during the game. By 10pm it will probably just have arrived in London again. And that's one train.
The problem is just a lack of rolling stock nationally, during the Week the trains are used on commuter services, weekend its much more manageable. Just the reality of the railways at the moment! Hopefully with the boring game we were subjected to, there won't be anymore surprise Monday night games at the Amex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The problem is just a lack of rolling stock nationally, during the Week the trains are used on commuter services, weekend its much more manageable. Just the reality of the railways at the moment! Hopefully with the boring game we were subjected to, there won't be anymore surprise Monday night games at the Amex.
Wouldnt happen in Germany

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought you'd met Chavus Lowlifus?
He felt my mighty wrath and I uttered the curse of the angry arse wasps upon his house. I fear for his bottom this morning!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I like to stay a clap the players off, but I am at the end of a row, so people feel like it is OK just to stand in front of me trying to get to the stairs. it really pisses me off. why not wait until there is a gap for you to move in to.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Left about 5 minutes after the final whistle, then shop, walked to the car, think I was back at Fiveways about 10.30.

RioGrandeGull

Jan 9, 2013
Isle of Wight
Yup.

Err no, they strengthened the later trains, there were 8 cars on the Seaford and Eastbourne after the game.
It’s only before the game they cannot do anything. Plenty of stock available later.
I did that sort of thing in emergencies for a living before I retired from the railways over 6 years ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Err no, they strengthened the later trains, there were 8 cars on the Seaford and Eastbourne after the game.
It’s only before the game they cannot do anything. Plenty of stock available later.
I did that sort of thing in emergencies for a living before I retired from the railways over 6 years ago.
There weren’t on the Brighton side. Second train after we got in the queue was 4 car.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Some are 8s some are 4s, you are correct. All depends where the train is after FT. Some are LTP 8 car on the way back from Ore and Eastbourne on the later services. Theres a lot less stock available than 6 years ago, with the 313s now gone.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The first train I saw leave whilst queuing for Brighton (which I couldn't get on) was a 3 car. Hopeless.

I generally expect a 30-40 minute wait to get on a train back to Brighton for evening games now. I try not to stress about it. I just make sure I have my podcasts to listen to, and zone out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yup.

Declassification happened so often on my line to Fav that there is now no longer any first class seating (too much bother to police). From London the entitled Bromley ****s, and the Medway builders on price work in London used to pile in anyway, unchallenged by the reticent inspectors, meaning I had to time my arrival carefully to get a seat.

Tonight's train was rammed.

Basically the rail franchises seem to have cut services and carriages to maximize profits. That's what happens with privatized industry.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Was going to leave after a pint in the WSU but then saw the queue at the station around 10.15ish and thought better of it. Headed to Dicks for another pint in the warm and got a train around 10.50 something, back in Brighton just after 11.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Left on the full time whistle. Queued for a couple of minutes at the ticket office to pick up my ticket for Saturday. Walked back to Hove. Home just after 11.
That's a good effort to walk from the Amex to Hove in about 1hr 20 mins - hat's off to you. Would you have done it if it had been raining ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here