Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whereas now we have increasing socioeconomic inequality, rising homelessness, proliferating food banks, abandoned (Brexit-voting) communities, massive disparities in economic geographies (London and the south-east versus the rest). And all justifiable because the TUs made your life a misery half a century ago?

Not just my life, the lives of millions. As I say, that's why they were brought to order.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Absolutely, categorically, NO.

Obviously Brexit and associated handbags are the big subject of the day, and an awful lot of vocal Leavers ARE gammon, but gammon were around a long time before the issue of EU membership came front and centre (they just hadn't been termed such). Gammon will get frothy and gammony about foreigners, but equally about 'PC gone mad' nonsense, uppity women getting above their station, and any manner of Daily Mail outrages.

Watch one of Harry Enfield's 'Self-Righteous Brothers' sketches. That is 20-30 years ago. The chap HE himself plays in those is TEXTBOOK gammon.

View attachment 119895

D'oh! that's me all confused again. The previous definition was so much clearer.

So it's Tory, Brexit, foreigners, "PC gone mad", and uppity women getting above their station. Not quite sure what that last one is, but we do seem to be broadening this a bit now.

Can a Labour or a leaver be a gammon, how about a Green Party member, or an uppity man getting above his station. Are faux outrages from The Sun, Mirror, or Piers Morgan outside the realm?

Honestly not being deliberately stupid here, I just still seem to come back to it being an acceptable insult for Person A to call Person B, whenever Person B says something person A doesn't agree with. Ah, unless it's more about the inflated level of outrage. Is a gammon, essentially someone getting out of their pram about something? A gentle discussion about almost anything (coming back to your Harry Enfield sketch example), the moment someone erupts into far too much passion and fury "but if Kylie Minogue came round here ...." the person they are talking to is entitled to say, "oy Frank, you gammon, shut it!"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Guy Ritchie has come up with a classic line in his new movie, The Gentleman, one of the characters in the film is called a "Black c***" by another.

He in turn complains to the character played by Colin Farrell that its racist, Farrell replies that it is in fact, factually correct as the Gentleman in question is both Black and a C***!

Thankfully even the 'Snowflakiest' of censors couldn't cut that line out.

You can say anything in a movie. It's called 'drama'. And I presume you have never listened to the spicier works of Pete and Dud.

However, I look forward to hearing about how well you get on being factually correct in a loud voice about Zaha the next time we play Palace.

Sometimes I struggle to work out whether you like appearing to be wilfully stupid or whether you are simply stupid. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
D'oh! that's me all confused again. The previous definition was so much clearer.

So it's Tory, Brexit, foreigners, "PC gone mad", and uppity women getting above their station. Not quite sure what that last one is, but we do seem to be broadening this a bit now.

Can a Labour or a leaver be a gammon, how about a Green Party member, or an uppity man getting above his station. Are faux outrages from The Sun, Mirror, or Piers Morgan outside the realm?

Honestly not being deliberately stupid here, I just still seem to come back to it being an acceptable insult for Person A to call Person B, whenever Person B says something person A doesn't agree with. Ah, unless it's more about the inflated level of outrage. Is a gammon, essentially someone getting out of their pram about something? A gentle discussion about almost anything (coming back to your Harry Enfield sketch example), the moment someone erupts into far too much passion and fury "but if Kylie Minogue came round here ...." the person they are talking to is entitled to say, "oy Frank, you gammon, shut it!"

The bottom line is that gammon is as gammon does. Don't overanalyse it. You sound like someone who spent their teenage years mithering over what a really good orgasm feels like :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
most, some ?, you sound confused, i think it's time to get over yourself............. how about Patriots:wink:
regards
DF

No, I'm perfectly clear about what I think, thanks.

The decline of the Patriots is one of the few things to be cheerful about at the moment. Long may it continue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hooray! I am guess a gammon has recently arrived (above) to explain himself. I am almost tempted to join in with sharing your enjoyment!

Jan 30, 2008
:lolol: You dont have worry about sovereignty. It doesn't affect turnips. Worry about your benefits, maybe even find a job. Contribute to the country instead of just taking from it.

just checking your back catalogue of twaddle dave and there's no change , how's things in the EU :D
regards
DF

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Always love it when an OP pretends to be utterly unaware of the world around them, like they live in a monastery on a remote mountainside or something

Anyways...

Who the HELL is Stormzy?

Where the HELL is Love Island?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
just checking your back catalogue of twaddle dave and there's no change , how's things in the EU :D
regards
DF

Check it all you like turnip. The EU is fine. You should know. The UK is abiding by all its rules and regulations.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Gammons are the complete ****ing morons that have helped give Boris and his chums total power to **** normal peoples lives up forever.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The bottom line is that gammon is as gammon does. Don't overanalyse it. You sound like someone who spent their teenage years mithering over what a really good orgasm feels like :shrug:

What a very strange comment. Just trying to understand a modern term that I don't use because I, possibly mistakenly, believe is just an acceptable insult that can be thrown at someone, anyone who disagrees with you.

If that is "over-analysing" then so be it, just trying to educate myself. :shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would have thought a "gammon" is a rather ruddy faced ,overweight bloke ,possibly with high blood pressure , prostate issues , probably remembers what it's like to actually earn a decent weeks money .....no ...not ringing any bells.....i would say

"gammons" in the north would be a lot better at being a "gammon" then a southern "gammon"...all most southern "gammons" have to moan about is noisy neighbours and those awful pictures on the internet of tigers and dogs being strung up in cages ready to be eaten ...or perhaps the stench from the curry house ...:rolleyes: another tasty little moniker to chuck into the mix to detract from the real problem.....night night..x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here