Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What team's crowd is being thrilled by Liam's unquestionable talent these days?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So do you feel the same about Dunk then?

People are just hurt because it seemed he was Brighton through and though and it turned out he wasn't.

The same to be honest. I like Dunk as a footballer, but I'll always now think that no matter how well we'll do, he's not the kind of bloke that gives his all regardless of what is going on in the background, or one who is playing for the shirt. Real shame, as you can leave and still be held in high regard. He is very young though, been through a lot already, and has the opportunity to learn from his experiences, and possibly gain some of that respect back.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was disappointed, certainly.

I wouldn't have such an issue with players refusing to play, if they were happy to forego their wages whilst on strike.
He was fined two weeks wages so he did forego his wages albeit involuntarily.

Wasn't it just the cup game that he refused to pay in, making him cup-tied? I think he was up for any other game but rightly lost his place.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It really irks me that some footballers never consider their legacy, and they blot their copybook because they are greedy. I look at Peter Ward and his big money move to Forest - no Billy Big Bollocks from him, he did the right thing and is still loved by the fans.

Exactly. You have a 15 year career as a professional footballer, maybe a bit longer if you're really lucky. Do you really want to be in your 40's going back to your old clubs, not as a returning welcome guest, but as someone who tried to screw them over!? Footballers are immortalised by their deeds on the pitch, they shape memories for all of us, so they taint their lasting legacy at their own risk.

Liam Bridcutt could have returned to this football club as an honoured revered guest for the rest of his life, but he's squandered that by his own actions.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't expect he's bothered.

He's on massive money. Gets celebrity status (despite being a flop) when out in town.

He is a premier league player and all the trappings and exposure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No the problem is he REFUSED to play for us while more than happy to receive the money for the job he refused to do.

I don't actually remember reading anywhere that Bridcutt refused to play. I do remember Nathan Jones saying to Oscar that his head wasn't in the right place, so he wasn't selected for the team.
I did read that Dunk refused to play at Southend as he didn't want to be cup tied, but that's ok as he stayed here in the long run.

Somebody else wrote that Bobby left in the right manner to go to Spurs, but I was at a game at Stoke in 2003, where Bobby just couldn't be bothered. The only shot we had that night was from Rougier and it ended up nearer the corner flag, than the goal post. Once Bobby knew that Hoddle wanted him in the January, he didn't put the same shift in as he'd done previously, maybe because he'd already had a couple of injuries earlier when Hinsh was still in charge.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The same to be honest. I like Dunk as a footballer, but I'll always now think that no matter how well we'll do, he's not the kind of bloke that gives his all regardless of what is going on in the background, or one who is playing for the shirt. Real shame, as you can leave and still be held in high regard. He is very young though, been through a lot already, and has the opportunity to learn from his experiences, and possibly gain some of that respect back.

Same age as Bridcutt was when he left i think.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Liam Bridcutt is and hopefully will always be remembered as a really, really good player for us. He was involved in some great moments, with playing a part in the move for the 3rd goal against Palace and the last second winner against Carlisle to name just 2.

But the manner of his leaving will always leave a bitter taste in the mouth especially when it was completely unnecessary. It was pretty much nailed on that as soon as Poyet got the Sunderland job he would come for Bridcutt which is fair enough. No one can begrudge anyone the chance to play at the highest level and at least treble their wages to boot. Plus the club have never stood in the way of players bettering themselves (so long as we get a decent deal). So all he had to do was just carry on as normal, keep quiet and more than likely his move to the Premier League would have happened anyway.

But no, he had to throw a tantrum and refuse to play when there was absolutely no need for that sort of behaviour. There was no call to try and force through a move that probably would have been concluded soon enough anyway. I can only assume the course of action he took was advised to him by his agent, which, of course opens up an entirely different debate of the roles of agents in football.

It is further galling because he was genuinely loved by the fans as he was voted Player-Of-The-Year 2 years running...This is no mean feat especially for a defensive style player. But Liam decided to ruin all this by acting like a tit.

Now, I am no guru and not claiming to be all-knowing but it would have made more sense for his agent to have advised him of what doing what I suggested above and play the waiting game. Everyone would have been happy that way: The player-fans relationship would not have been destroyed, the club would have got some cash, the player gets his move (plus increased wages) and the agent would have got his cut. Winners all-round.

Now, would I take him back?...Well, that would be a no on 2 counts:

1) Basically for the reasons stated above in the fact the way he left was hardly ideal plus I am quite a vindictive sod so I hope his career takes a nose-dive.

2) Despite how good he was for us it has been shown to not be upto Premier League standard and considering that is where we are hoping to end up he would not be worth having.

I think that pretty much sums up my feelings on the matte and I like to think I give a balanced enough view.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At best he was solid in a role that Gus gave him, but you can count his goal attempts in the Championship on one finger.

Our supporters were kind and loyal to him without him being exceptional. Personally I always found it frustrating that he would rarely step over the halfway line and was predictable in his play.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of anything that went on (or not) he is part of our past now, not of our future.

The interesting thing about this view is that if you are Bridcutt you've failed in the Prem but excelled in the Top Half of the Championship. He'll want to join a proper contender so, realistically, there's only one of c. 10 clubs he can join - one of which is us.

Developing the point I made earlier, it makes it all the more crazy when players dump on their clubs because there's a fair chance that player and their club will be on a par sometime in the future, and why alienate yourself from a club at which you have friends, you know the area, you know the culture?

Bennett, Crofts, Zamora and Hammond all returned, it's not out of the question that others like Ulloa and Elphick could also return one day. I don't see it as necessarily a bad move to go back from the player's perspective because you're a long-time retired and the tag "club legend" could open various doors.

Yet you get the feeling Bridcutt and Buckley will be plying their trade at a club beneath us in the table on an ongoing basis for the foreseeable future. I don't begrudge them the Prem money, but had they departed on good terms then rejoining us might well have been a viable option.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What seems to be the general view is that if a player is of a standard that is useful to the club then any actions that player may make to leave for another club is a display of disloyalty.

However - if a player is brought into the club and doesn't reach the expected standard then it is reasonable, encouraged even, for the club to engineer that player's sale.

A hint of double standards? ???

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What seems to be the general view is that if a player is of a standard that is useful to the club then any actions that player may make to leave for another club is a display of disloyalty.

However - if a player is brought into the club and doesn't reach the expected standard then it is reasonable, encouraged even, for the club to engineer that player's sale.

A hint of double standards? ???

Not ANY action looking for a move, just SOME actions.

I wouldn't expect the club to be doing anything underhand to engineer a player sale or not fulfilling their contractual obligations to that player until they are sold, and likewise I expect a player under contract who wants a move to still fulfil their contractual obligations until their move is completed. Refusing to play is a breach of contract as simple as that. Beyond that it is also clearly a massive insult to the club and supporters for whom wearing that shirt means everything.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not ANY action looking for a move, just SOME actions.

I wouldn't expect the club to be doing anything underhand to engineer a player sale or not fulfilling their contractual obligations to that player until they are sold, and likewise I expect a player under contract who wants a move to still fulfil their contractual obligations until their move is completed. Refusing to play is a breach of contract as simple as that. Beyond that it is also clearly a massive insult to the club and supporters for whom wearing that shirt means everything.

I absolutely agree - but of course that was not the case with Bridcutt although it appears to be the case with a player still at the club.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Overrated player, can do a job in this division in specific formations, but found out in the Prem. Another glaring Gus error in the transfer market signing him for Sunderland.

Good - it got us a decent amount of money and it's better having the money in TB's pocket than in Ellis Short's
Pleased he's gone to be honest

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I absolutely agree - but of course that was not the case with Bridcutt although it appears to be the case with a player still at the club.

If a player isn't trying in training, isn't engaging at all, is distant or disruptive, the manager will know there is no way they can play them, but the player can say he isn't outright refusing to play. I think we can safely say that happened with Bridcutt.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If a player isn't trying in training, isn't engaging at all, is distant or disruptive, the manager will know there is no way they can play them, but the player can say he isn't outright refusing to play. I think we can safely say that happened with Bridcutt.

Maybe - not the same as a breach of contract though which is normally punished by the club issuing a fine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We know Dunk refused to play but have not ever heard that Bridcutt refused to play. I've already quoted the only thing that we do know as fact, and that was from Nathan Jones.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We know Dunk refused to play but have not ever heard that Bridcutt refused to play. I've already quoted the only thing that we do know as fact, and that was from Nathan Jones.

It was reported at the time: he [Bridcutt] asked not to be considered for Albion's trip to Derby County last Saturday after telling assistant coach Nathan Jones he would not be focused to play.

Now, that to me is a player not wanting to play. It might not be a breach of contract is it is not an outright refusal, but for all intents and purposes you are basically ruling yourself out of playing for the club you are contracted to. Had the deal not gone through, perhaps the club would have gone on to fine him...we'll never know.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It was reported at the time: he [Bridcutt] asked not to be considered for Albion's trip to Derby County last Saturday after telling assistant coach Nathan Jones he would not be focused to play.

Now, that to me is a player not wanting to play. It might not be a breach of contract is it is not an outright refusal, but for all intents and purposes you are basically ruling yourself out of playing for the club you are contracted to. Had the deal not gone through, perhaps the club would have gone on to fine him...we'll never know.

Could also be seen as being honest with the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here