Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What size crowd do we need to break even?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
i had no idea either; so calculated an algorithm to find out.

23 games a season.
Assume average gate of 24,000
Loss of £10.4m just announced.

10,400,000/ (23*24,000) = £19.

yep, Tony subsidises each ticket by around £20 per game.

He's not subsidising payments received - he's paying for high spending - for which I'm grateful.

Don't feed the Troll :thumbsup:

I was troll when i mistrusted poyet.

I was a troll when i was worried that the club were losing £10 million plus.

I was a troll when i thought the club had not helped the atmosphere within the stadium.

This troll seems to hit the nail on the head whilst most are still using thumb tacks.

:moo:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was troll when i mistrusted poyet.

I was a troll when i was worried that the club were losing £10 million plus.

I was a troll when i thought the club had not helped the atmosphere within the stadium.

This troll seems to hit the nail on the head whilst most are still using thumb tacks.

:moo:
It is indeed arguable that you may have been right about a number of points. However it is the manner in which you have posted about the club and the fans which defines you as a troll. I think this is a pity, because you are capable of making very good posts. You have obviously become very disgruntled, but your belittlement of so much to do with our club is tiresome, often starting a thread pulling down the club and supporters when our supporters should be feeling great about things. Most people don't want to read about the high cost of a ticket, or the poor support, or the awful way the club is run and how it was so much better at Withdean etc immediately after a fantastic victory against Birmingham or Charlton, but you keep popping up like a fly in the ointment. I really wish you could get your Albion mojo back, but if that is not possible, wouldn't it be better to complain a little less?

It is indeed arguable that you may have been right about a number of points. However it is the manner in which you have posted about the club and the fans which defines you as a troll. I think this is a pity, because you are capable of making very good posts. You have obviously become very disgruntled, but your belittlement of so much to do with our club is tiresome, often starting a thread pulling down the club and supporters when our supporters should be feeling great about things. Most people don't want to read about the high cost of a ticket, or the poor support, or the awful way the club is run and how it was so much better at Withdean etc immediately after a fantastic victory against Birmingham or Charlton, but you keep popping up like a fly in the ointment. I really wish you could get your Albion mojo back, but if that is not possible, wouldn't it be better to complain a little less?

TBH its the modern football mojo thats suffering and my beloved Albion are caught up in the middle of it. The only individual connected with the Albion that i been critical of is Gus Poyet,I never insulted anyone on nsc that was not a grandad and never reacted badly to abuse on here.I struggled with the black and white view on here sometimes as i see mostly grey.I watched nearly 70 games of footie last season so still love the game but the obscene money in top end leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I want football to get well again so pretending its not ill seems hypocritical. Up the Albion

Also this is the best time to highlight any issues,no point putting a new hat on the dead donkey.

Last edited:

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
School boy error from Bloom to saddle us with a ground that losses so much money each week. Our new ground was meant to be a game changer for us, instead it could be something that eventually leads us down the 'Bolton' path.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We talk about Gate money but it's not just about gate money if we have more success we will have more sponsorship sales more sales of shirts and more pies and beers we consume more programmes we sell it all goes into the pot and we might have to produce and sell players to help the finance in the future.
The club could use the concourses for other events to bring money into the club.
Also thats also why the club are looking to build a Hotel all these things are important even if we get the premiership the player costs will go through the roof. Thank you TB

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
School boy error from Bloom to saddle us with a ground that losses so much money each week. Our new ground was meant to be a game changer for us, instead it could be something that eventually leads us down the 'Bolton' path.
I'm sure that Bournemouth fans are probably thinking their chairman made a schoolboy error when he was so shortsighted as to make their ground so small that they can't take advantage of their elevated status. It works both ways.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All this "Crowd of XXXX to break even before the Amex was built" stuff is utter horseshit. It needs far more qualification than that, principally the quality of the squad assembled and being paid for and what the club's realistic ambitions are with that squad.

The simple matter of fact is to break even we either need to spend £10m a year less or earn £10m a year more. If we spend £10m a year less then we would not be challenging in the Championship so we would get smaller crowds who would spend less. So we'd actually need to cut expenditure even further again.

And/or find further revenue streams?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Classic trilemma, isn't it.

Break even, or nearly so.
Low ticket prices.
High standard of football.

Pick two. Only the top flight television backhanders makes it possible, unless there's a millionaire in the loop.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
And/or find further revenue streams?
Short of kidnapping business executives for ransom -- the South American model -- what could possibly generate sums of that magnitude -- £10m p.a.?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How many rooms and what occupancy do we need from our new hotel to break even?
If it's as good as the football team it's going to be good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here