What should be done with the King Alfred?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Brighton should have a modern leisure centre and an ice rink but in the present financial situation there could not be a worse time to try to get any investment.
I have had correspondence from time to time concerning facilities at the King Alfred and can confirm that it is owned by the Council.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Bring back:

2274049428_2c16048257.jpg

LOL, I used to work there when they first opened. I remember one beach party we had, at around 3am, we snuck in through a loose window, turned on the hose down the black hole and rode the slides pissed. Awesome fun.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
The building there at the moment is an awesome building. There are several floors below the llevel of the current changing rooms none of them used for anything. It's a maze. When I was working there in the mid 80s, we often used to go off exploring. There's a corridor under the car park that links to the old 10 pin bowling centre and we even found a full set of old and rusting catering sized kitchens a couple of levels down.

It'll be some demolition job, and will leave one big hole in the ground...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Brighton should have a modern leisure centre and an ice rink but in the present financial situation there could not be a worse time to try to get any investment.
I have had correspondence from time to time concerning facilities at the King Alfred and can confirm that it is owned by the Council.

Ok, I accept that technically the council owns the King Alfred but spiritually that site belongs to the community.

Councilors come and go and no one councilor has any right to turn the King Alfred into anything else other than community sport and leisure facilities.

We do have a right to protect that site from any future, non sporting, commercial and residential development.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Brighton and Hove as a so called major tourist town should have an ice rink and over the years rumours of one at either the Marina or close to the King Alfred came to nothing, I planned to take my children, then grandchildren still nothing so dont purchase a pair of skates just yet.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Turn into offices for the council, then move them out of the lovely building just down the road. Prime real estate.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
ive seen this type of thing before somewhere,

Spend little or nothing in the upkeep of site
Promise the people something better until site unsafe
Every now and then get some cockamayme Andy Warhol wannabe to project the future using fairy liquid bottles and sticky backed tape
and last but no means least

Enjoy shopping at Tescos

sadly and depressingly, this is about right. do you know the connaught centre in hove? the council are watching this lovely big old building crumble away - they are not allowed to sell it UNLESS it falls into disrepair. Just so happens that tescos are planning to increase the size of their horrible hove store... if only a large site was to became available just next door

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
sadly and depressingly, this is about right. do you know the connaught centre in hove? the council are watching this lovely big old building crumble away - they are not allowed to sell it UNLESS it falls into disrepair. Just so happens that tescos are planning to increase the size of their horrible hove store... if only a large site was to became available just next door

Tey would have to increase the carpark if thay wanted to do that!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You will have a much clearer idea of whats happening at the KA in its long term future in December time.

The only news in December will be which firm wins the contract to deal with the everyday running of the complex in its current form, subject to escape clauses which include health, safety or disrepair.

The council has already announced that there is no vision or blueprint for the future at the King Alfred site for the next 15 years.

King Alfred plans put on hold for 15 years - The Argus

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The only news in December will be which firm wins the contract to deal with the everyday running of the complex in its current form, subject to escape clauses which include health, safety or disrepair.

The council has already announced that there is no vision or blueprint for the future at the King Alfred site for the next 15 years.

King Alfred plans put on hold for 15 years - The Argus

It is by no way a certanty that anyone will want to take it over. If there isnt an offer then there is almost no-way the Council will continue to run it.

What is your inrest in it, if you dont mind me asking? You seem to be very clued up for just someone who wants Leisure facilities in Hove...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is by no way a certanty that anyone will want to take it over. If there isnt an offer then there is almost no-way the Council will continue to run it.

What is your inrest in it, if you dont mind me asking? You seem to be very clued up for just someone who wants Leisure facilities in Hove...

I am just a normal resident who for many years has believed that the King Alfred is the best location we could ever have for an all in one complex and I took it upon myself to investigate what facilities would actually fit there.

It just so happened that it is a perfect size to have an ice rink and pools so I have now found myself in a position where I have to make the council and community aware of this possibility so we don’t miss a trick.
www.kingalfredarena.co.uk

In the short term I have worked out that we could have an affordable temporary ice rink over the old ten pin bowling area which would determine if we do indeed need an ice rink in the city.
www.sussexicerink.co.uk

If it works out that there is no demand for an ice rink, it would also show there is no need for the above arena and probably no need even for the King Alfred altogether.

The main thing is I am trying to make a difference rather than just thinking about it.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Ok, I accept that technically the council owns the King Alfred but spiritually that site belongs to the community.

Councilors come and go and no one councilor has any right to turn the King Alfred into anything else other than community sport and leisure facilities.

We do have a right to protect that site from any future, non sporting, commercial and residential development.

You havent answered the earlier question - what is your involvement with any scheme for the KA?

Personally I think its clear you are involved with the King Alfred Arena project.

OOPS missed previous post!!!!!!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I am just a normal resident who for many years has believed that the King Alfred is the best location we could ever have for an all in one complex and I took it upon myself to investigate what facilities would actually fit there.

It just so happened that it is a perfect size to have an ice rink and pools so I have now found myself in a position where I have to make the council and community aware of this possibility so we don’t miss a trick.
www.kingalfredarena.co.uk

In the short term I have worked out that we could have an affordable temporary ice rink over the old ten pin bowling area which would determine if we do indeed need an ice rink in the city.
www.sussexicerink.co.uk

If it works out that there is no demand for an ice rink, it would also show there is no need for the above arena and probably no need even for the King Alfred altogether.

The main thing is I am trying to make a difference rather than just thinking about it.

Ok, so you have just either gone into the petrol staton and took one of the little cards, or you are involved in the Arena project and are trying to get the general feeling of the public.

Im sorry, but there is no-way your "just a normal resident"

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I remember Saturday after noons in the mid 80's and they had a pool side disco, those slides take me back too going down what at the time i thought was scary, the black hole!!?

funny thinking about that now!

:lolol:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Anyone go to the under 18's disco's they used to hold years back :lolol:

Nov 2, 2008
Running BN1
Just keeping the place clean would be a major development. i took my little boy there swimming the other week and its a shithole - so bad I had to complain. The changing rooms are dark and dirty. Kids were slipping over where the anti-slip tiles have worn down - poor poor poor

Changing rooms are superb for shagging in FACT:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports