Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] What salary would this job command?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Have the interview, don’t even talk about money if it’s easily avoided. Get them wanting you on board first, then have the money discussion......you’ll be in a stronger negotiating position.

This.

Remember you’re assessing them too. Forget about salary at this stage. Wait until you get an offer.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
£33,650pa

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No idea but I truly wish you all the best.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My initial thoughts were around £36k but I'm sensing a tone from the OP so would guess a low offer of £25k

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Sadly the job is advertised at £25-30k and there is currently a job market where employers can "name their price" and if they don't get enough good candidates they'll need to increase their salary offer on a new advert, not after people are interested. This is why employers (especially in professional areas) don't tend to state the salary range - you need to tell the company on application what your salary expectation is - this can go both ways.

For me, I've found it tricky as we've had candidates who wanted way less than the market rate to get the job, so we obviously offered them more than that, but they then complained for god-knows how many years that they are not paid as much as others, even though they have had pay increases and adjustments more than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 22389

After my cluster**** of employment for the 12 weeks I have been approached by an agency about another job.

I havent been actively looking as I'm just still glad I've got a job right now but I left my profile on CVLibrary open.

This role sounds right up my street and is effectively what I was doing before I got royally ****ed over by the last bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters. And the bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters I then joined at the back end of last year.

To me it looks like a "supervisory or 'go-to" role as it reports to a Works Manager.

The thing is that I know the company. At my last engineering place I used to make a lot of their products and they are less than 100 yards down the road from the first Complete And Utter Shysters.

I know a few of the people who work there due to my dealings with them for the past 10 years.

I purposefully haven't added the salary offered and would like some input from your good selves before I think its worth going for....

JOB DESCRIPTION

Job Title: Production Engineer

Reports To: Works Manager

PURPOSE

 Carry out a wide range of assignments to improve the efficiency and quality of the production areas whilst also supporting the achievement of daily business goals and drive long term technical and cost reduction projects.

 To assist the Works Manager in all areas of day-to-day operations in accordance with Company standards

Duties and Responsibilities

 To manage and oversee the manufacturing process to ensure that it is run in smooth, lean and efficient manner.
 Support upfront data/software management of production processes.
 Undertake additional tasks and other reasonable duties as directed by the business from time to time.
 To be involved in and support all aspects of the factory production process including design, manufacturing, stock control and distribution.
 To input into the product design process to ensure that products can be produced in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
 To ensure that materials are researched and selected to ensure the right balance of quality and cost.
 To research, assess and implement improvements and efficiencies in the manufacturing processes.
 Train and develop colleagues and trainees as directed by the Works Manager.
 To ensure that any issues with the manufacturing process are investigated and fixed and to co-ordinate between departments to ensure any issues are resolved.
 To undertake quality investigations and to lead and ensure an ongoing culture of continuous process improvement.
 To ensure that all requirements under health and safety legislation are actively adhered to
 To ensure that the energy consumption and pollution levels are kept to a minimum
 Exercise own judgement and initiative.
 Work with limited supervision and to ensure all deadlines are met.

Person Specification

• Previous experience of working in a Production Engineering role
• Good communications skills and an ability to develop and maintain good working relationships.
• Good organisational skills and an ability to prioritise tasks.
• Maintain good level of accuracy and attention to detail when under pressure
• Self-motivated, able to use initiative and work effectively and responsibly without supervision.
• Awareness of confidentiality issues, including a sense of discretion.
• Ability to demonstrate a commitment to own personal development within the role.

Qualifications

The following are preferred and/or required:

• Ideally, have recent experience in a production environment or a related industry.
• HNC/HND in Mechanical/Manufacturing/Production Engineering or related subject
• Kaizen or Lean Manufacturing techniques
• Experience with CAD/CAM/Solidworks and CNC machine use
• Experience around Automatic Powder Coating lines
• GCSE English
• GCSE Maths
• Computer literate: ability to use varying internal systems.
• Experience of welding processes

Over to you.....

I'd say 35k a year

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have a video interview tomorrow. I'd love £46k. Would solve nearly all of my problems.

That's the ballpark figure I had in my head.

This is how I read it.

But the salary on offer is £25‐30k DOE.

I think its on the low side but from what I've researched it seems average for national salary. But this is the South East. I get the feeling with the engineering and manufacturing sector already on its knees due to competition from Eastern Europe and China (not even bringing Covid into the discussion) that companies are chancing their arm and advertising for the lowest bidder rather than what the job is worth.

I'm fully aware that there are lots of people unemployed and desperate for work, particularly in manufacturing/engineering as there are lots of small/medium firms going under. So companies like this are able to drive wages down as its an employers market right now.

I just want to earn enough to go to work to pay a mortgage and still have some kind of reasonable work/life balance.

With the wife still on part time wages and until we qualify for the 30 hours free childcare to allow her t go back to work full time I need to earn as much as I can.

Right now I'm on £28k. With 8 hours o/t a week guaranteed so bring in more than whats on offer here. But I will bring commuting costs back down to £0, and save £50pw on petrol commuting.

Although I will have more disposable income I still can't reach the LTV to get a mortgage.

... and you gain some more time for you / family etc

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
no idea, 40K maybe?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I have a video interview tomorrow. I'd love £46k. Would solve nearly all of my problems.

This is how I read it.

I think its on the low side but from what I've researched it seems average for national salary. But this is the South East. I get the feeling with the engineering and manufacturing sector already on its knees due to competition from Eastern Europe and China (not even bringing Covid into the discussion) that companies are chancing their arm and advertising for the lowest bidder rather than what the job is worth.

I'm fully aware that there are lots of people unemployed and desperate for work, particularly in manufacturing/engineering as there are lots of small/medium firms going under. So companies like this are able to drive wages down as its an employers market right now.

I just want to earn enough to go to work to pay a mortgage and still have some kind of reasonable work/life balance.

With the wife still on part time wages and until we qualify for the 30 hours free childcare to allow her t go back to work full time I need to earn as much as I can.

Right now I'm on £28k. With 8 hours o/t a week guaranteed so bring in more than whats on offer here. But I will bring commuting costs back down to £0, and save £50pw on petrol commuting.

Although I will have more disposable income I still can't reach the LTV to get a mortgage.

Once you factor in Tax/NI you'd have to earn roughly £3k extra to cover just your fuel costs, let alone other associated costs of running a vehicle for the commute so I'd look at it as £28-£33k DOE for the new place, and the time saved in getting to and from work.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For me, I've found it tricky as we've had candidates who wanted way less than the market rate to get the job, so we obviously offered them more than that, but they then complained for god-knows how many years that they are not paid as much as others, even though they have had pay increases and adjustments more than anyone else.

The way I get round that is to publish all employees salaries on the intranet/notice board (you need each employees permission, of course - we don’t hire them unless they agree). Obviously, you have to be able to defend why each employee gets what they get - but then, you should be able to do that anyway...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The way I get round that is to publish all employees salaries on the intranet/notice board (you need each employees permission, of course - we don’t hire them unless they agree). Obviously, you have to be able to defend why each employee gets what they get - but then, you should be able to do that anyway...

What a good idea. I used to say to staff that if they wanted to discuss salaries with one another, I would be happy to discuss any differences with them, but I prefer your idea. A few years before I retired I introduced open book pricing for clients and that went really well. Honesty and openness in business, it's the way to go :thumbsup:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

This is how I read it.

If you`re on £28k now with the 25-30 being offered you should be able to get close to the £30k if they want you. Might there be a bonus ! £50 saving on petrol is £2500 money in your pocket which equates to £3.5k of your earnings .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What a good idea. I used to say to staff that if they wanted to discuss salaries with one another, I would be happy to discuss any differences with them, but I prefer your idea. A few years before I retired I introduced open book pricing for clients and that went really well. Honesty and openness in business, it's the way to go :thumbsup:

Thanks. Not my idea (hardly anything is!); one I nicked from an ex-employer back in my yoof.

Honesty and transparency are fundamental to the way I do business. It’s not always comfortable, particularly if there’s a downturn (such as in a pandemic, say), but I’ve found that you earn your staffs’ trust. When we had to ask for a salary sacrifice (not deferral, as I couldn’t be sure when or even if I would be able to return it, and wasn’t prepared to promise something I may not be able to do) for an indefinite period (as I couldn’t be sure how long it would be before trading returned to normal - it actually turned out to be 3 months), we got 100% acceptance.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
£30k min . . . . possibly looking to take advantage due to current situation?

engineering salaries are oft dictated by the value of the product. So many local businesses have ben cut so lean they struggle to, or can't survive given the cost of existence daan saaf.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you`re on £28k now with the 25-30 being offered you should be able to get close to the £30k if they want you. Might there be a bonus ! £50 saving on petrol is £2500 money in your pocket which equates to £3.5k of your earnings .

THis, plus time, car costs etc etc . . . . . I have this issue . . . petrol is expensive at the moment. costing me over £50 a week . . . . . If I was allowed to work from home one or two days a week . . . an above inflation pay rise, plus over an hour a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here