Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Restrictions Do You Think Should Be Eased After Current 3 Week Review Period Ends?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When we are ready I would like to see us able to queue up outside a pub, 2metres apart, go in, have a pint of ale and leave by another door joining the back of the queue, with 24 hour opening it will take me approximately 6 hours to get pissed.
Depending on the size of the pub up to 5 could be let in at regular intervals.
Perspex shields and masks for bar staff of course.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Noticed the public toilets were shut in Preston Park yesterday. I'm sure this is a recent thing

I know Rother District Council for one, took the decision to close public toilets a while back because one reason given was people were vandalising them trying to steal toilet paper when the panic buying was going on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here's the first bit of concrete information coming from (part of) our nation's authorities:

Scotland publishes framework for leaving lockdown and adjusting to 'new normal'

Scotland must adjust to “new normal” of living with Covid-19, which may include cycling in and out of strict lockdown at short notice, according to a document just published by the Scottish government, which sets out its framework for progressing beyond the current lockdown restrictions.

The 26-page document summarises the Scottish government’s approach as follows:

Suppress the virus through compliance with physical distancing and hygiene measures, ensuring that the reproduction number remains below 1 and that the NHS remains within capacity.

Care for those who need it, whether infected by the virus or not.

Support people, business and organisations affected by the crisis.

Recover to a new normal, carefully easing restrictions when safe to do so while maintaining necessary measures and ensuring that transmission remains controlled, supported by developments in medicine and technology.

Protect against this and future pandemics, including through effective testing, contact tracing and isolation.

Renew the country, building a fairer and more sustainable economy and society.

It warns the public to expect a cycle of lifting and re-imposing restrictions, with the possibility of restrictions being re-imposed quickly if transmission suddenly escalates; talks about the urgent need to redesign workplaces and education settings to allow for proper social distancing; the need for “unprecedented levels of support and compliance from the whole population”.

It also concludes that now is not the right time to relax restrictions, but that over the next few weeks, based on the evidence and expert advice, options will be considered that include the easing of restrictions in a phased manner, for example easing restrictions on some outdoor activity before those on indoor activities, as well as tailoring options to specific geographies and sectors, or parts of the rural economy, or those able to work outdoors.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That's the key question: how is this going to be paid for. Not so sure that there will be much appetite for underfunding the NHS and below inflation pay 'rises' for doctors and nurses, nor is there much austerity room (beyond pensions). The best response would be to just seize a % of the wealthy's assets on a progressive scale. That's what happened after WW2, but somehow I can't see this being our government's response -- although broadly the economic approach from Sunak has been right in my view.

Don't think there is ever an appetite for this but largely the media do not report on a lot of the privatisation and are distracted by other things.

Fully expect things like that to be back on the agenda all be it with any spotlight focused on it deflected a bit easier.

Theyve done it before and people aree blind to it , they will do it again

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I know Rother District Council for one, took the decision to close public toilets a while back because one reason given was people were vandalising them trying to steal toilet paper when the panic buying was going on.

Steal paper from a public toilet, good grief! Went for a walk along Brighton seafront and toilets all seem to be locked. Looked on web site and most were closed a week ago. God knows what people working outdoors, like street cleaners, do.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Steal paper from a public toilet, good grief! Went for a walk along Brighton seafront and toilets all seem to be locked. Looked on web site and most were closed a week ago. God knows what people working outdoors, like street cleaners, do.

This was from March 19:

We have closed our public toilets until further notice as we feel that keeping them open is bringing people into close contact unnecessarily. We have also experienced a high level of vandalism with people damaging toilet roll holders to steal toilet rolls, which means we cannot continue to manage the facilities effectively or hygienically.

https://www.rother.gov.uk/news/coro...atement-from-council-leader-cllr-doug-oliver/

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Went for my daily bike ride this afternoon and the beach along Madeira Terrace and out at Rottingdean was really busy. Distinctly more cars on the road too.

People are getting bored now, aren't they?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Went for my daily bike ride this afternoon and the beach along Madeira Terrace and out at Rottingdean was really busy. Distinctly more cars on the road too.

People are getting bored now, aren't they?

One of the reasons given for not locking down sooner is that they knew a lot of people would tolerate it for only so long and they wanted to make the best use of that window. Looks like it was a good call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here