• Sikh

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I could be wrong but surely they all believe in some sort of spirituality which all goes under the same bracket?

I'm not Christian but I respect that maybe someone built a boat and chucked some animals on it when/if there was a huge natural disaster . I don't find that too ridiculous. The story probably just got twisted the more time went on. IT's things like 'no sex before marriage' I struggle to understand.

You really believe that there was 2x2 of every single living organism packed on this same boat?

Come on man.

I couldn’t put it better then Ricky.

https://youtu.be/h6omFJhKr6o

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
How intolerant.

No it’s evolutionary progress.

People used to believe in witch hunting, burning at the stake. They used to believe that God was angry at thunder until we began to understand weather.

Do you believe that it’s right for women to be stoned to death after they’ve been raped in some parts of the word? That’s your religion. And sorry that kind of backward thinking is absolutely something we should be intolerant about.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Atheist, and enjoying the peace, tolerance, understanding and love that surrounds it!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I didn't write the dictionary.

Originally Christians used paganism to describe non Christians which consisted largely of idol worshippers.

I din't write the history of the word.

"Paganism (from classical Latin pāgānus "rural, rustic," later "civilian") is a term first used in the fourth century by early Christians for people in the Roman Empire who practiced polytheism."

Pre Islamic Arabs are called pagan Arabs because of the idol worship at the Kaaba before Muhammad smashed them all leaving the Black Stone as a representation of Allah who was the moon God who had two daughters. Islams origins are pagan and they still use the pagan rituals today.

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I’m not the poster you’re replying to but I don’t think it’s a ‘belief’ to follow science. The Big Bang theory is not a belief but a substantially proved process that scientists even today can still view aspects of.

No belief required, scientific repeatable tests.

All that 100s of years of scientific knowledge versus a book. A man made book. By the Romans no less.

but many claim that science is evidence of 'Gods handiwork'?

Like i say, I don't know but it does seem pretty naive to write of the chances of spirituality based on something written 325 years after the story occurred

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
But surely you believe that everything from the beginning of time was created by an unbelievable, against all odds coincidence?

That's a pretty big belief in my eyes. You must think people in the jungle who've had barely any outside contact have created this belief of a god from the top of their head and just out of coincidence so have the eskimo 's on the other end/terrain of the world?

For thousands of years humanity/ different civilisations have built incredible structures with symbolism and purpose all pointing to some sort of faith in a god, again, totally coincidental they all played along with this massive load of bollocks?

Not trying to be rude but that sort of belief seems just as strong as any other I've heard, and to be fair, you might be right? Who knows?

No, I dont believe that, I accept the latest scientific evidence and hope that it will lead to a full understanding of the origins of the Cosmos. But I follow it in the full expectation that new discoveries will probably come along, and change what is presently thought the most likely. That's certainly not belief in the sense that religious people would understand it. I want facts, provable, repeatable fact. not threats of burning in hell if I dare to ask a question.

I think our ancestors were terrified of what they couldn't understand. They could not know about plate tectonics causing earthquakes and volcanoes, what the stars were and why the length of a day varied. The logical explanation was a supreme being punishing them for not being faithful enough. Given that man is a pattern seeking animal, its not surprising that they all came to a similar conclusion.

If you are correct, how come they all followed different gods? there have been thousands of gods worshipped but i suspect most religious people are total atheists about 99.999999% of them. You only need to use the same critical thinking and its easy to just go one more and rid yourself of this Bronze age fiction.

The fact that a lot of people follow something, doesn't make it true, neither does fine architecture, beautiful music or wonderful works of art devoted to some god or other.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How intolerant.

[MENTION=13052]narly101[/MENTION] I'd say there is and it's the forcing of opinions that causes most of the issues we have in the World. What is wrong is the way religion is forced onto the curriculum, more should be made of exploring Atheism and some of the less attractive elements of religion.

Despite my Wife and I being atheists my Son wanted to go to Sunday school and some of the main Church events, so we took him, not necessarily opposing or worshipping but there to allow him to explore this. He soon gave it up when Sunday football clashed with it but HE made HIS choice.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You really believe that there was 2x2 of every single living organism packed on this same boat?

Come on man.

I couldn’t put it better then Ricky.

https://youtu.be/h6omFJhKr6o

I think you missed the bit where I mentioned my belief that the story may have been twisted down the years.

Ricky Gervais probably isn't the best guy for this sort of debate, but I respect anyone who doesn't believe someone could've built a boat and put a few cows, pigs, horses and sheep on it 2000 and something years ago.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Atheist, and enjoying the peace, tolerance, understanding and love that surrounds it!

Not much of that in Cambodia when atheist Pol Pot was in charge. Or in the Soviet Union either.

Atheism is a pretty broad church when it comes to morality.

(And tolerance isn’t always a good thing, either.)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Like i say, I don't know but it does seem pretty naive to write of the chances of spirituality based on something written 325 years after the story occurred

It sounds like you’ve been persuaded, either by family or your peer group. If so I understand as I had similar growing up.

To claim that science is possible evidence of Gods handiwork is flimsy. Like ok well I believe in the tooth fairy, she oversees all our lives. You can’t see her, but all that scientific evidence is reason for my gods existence.

And which god are you taking about? I presume the Christian god? That seems quite arrogant, but what about all the other gods around the world of various cultures?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
To claim that science is possible evidence of Gods handiwork is flimsy. Like ok well I believe in the tooth fairy, she oversees all our lives. You can’t see her, but all that scientific evidence is reason for my gods existence.

I always find it strange how some atheist preachers use things like the tooth fairy, witches, superman etc to back up their debate.

It suggest to me that maybe these certain atheists once believed in the possibility of these things to a later age then the norm, which then dampened all hope of spirituality once they finally realised things like the tooth fairy weren't true? Maybe the disappointment hit them harder than others giving them no hope of anything other?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

science is the study and understanding of the world through observation and recording. you cant claim science for evidence of god, its our body of knowledge. your statement should be some claim reality as evidence of gods handiwork.

and if they want to make that claim, he is being a right arse about it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not much of that in Cambodia when atheist Pol Pot was in charge. Or in the Soviet Union either.

Atheism is a pretty broad church when it comes to morality.

(And tolerance isn’t always a good thing, either.)

True, but one thing Atheists have in common is the understanding that we only get one chance in this one life, so this life is more valuable and precious to the Atheist than it is to the believer who can sin as much as they want and still be forgiven.

Pol Pot and Stalin is the standard argument but generally an Atheist will value life more than a religious person who would love to see Atheists burn in hell for eternity.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm an ethical vegan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here