Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What players to keep if we get promoted?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Serious answer - I think the manager, scouts, coaches and players all know the answer to that question already. Likelihood is that Calderon, Greer and Zamora will retire at the end of the season. Wilson will return to Man Utd. Whilst Chicksen and Crofts both are likely to head to new clubs as their contracts are up. I think Brighton are in that unusual situation where promotion won't greatly affect the players that get 'replaced',just the quality of player that we manage to bring in to replace them.

Serious answer - I think the manager, scouts, coaches and players all know the answer to that question already. Likelihood is that Calderon, Greer and Zamora will retire at the end of the season. Wilson will return to Man Utd. Whilst Chicksen and Crofts both are likely to head to new clubs as their contracts are up. I think Brighton are in that unusual situation where promotion won't greatly affect the players that get 'replaced',just the quality of player that we manage to bring in to replace them.

Nice clear , concise and thought out answer..Thanks

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Nice clear , concise and thought out answer..Thanks

Why no posts for 10 years.

I also find it strange that you can not recall your first Albion game, but just state about 1982. Then your favourite Albion player is Mark Lawrenson who you would not have seen play for the Albion if your first game was 1982.

All very strange

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why no posts for 10 years.

I also find it strange that you can not recall your first Albion game, but just state about 1982. Then your favourite Albion player is Mark Lawrenson who you would not have seen play for the Albion if your first game was 1982.

All very strange

All very palace.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was thinking about this the other day and our back 4 are good enough for the next level, but not the back 4 we currently start with. Bruno, is a quality player, but is just a little to slow for the Premier Lge. Stockdale, Bong, Rosenior, Goldson and Dunk. Kayal, Knockeart, Murphy(possibly and maybe Lua Lua from the bench. I'm unsure about Stephens, as he can be anonymous at times and doesn't command like Kayal. However, I'm not sure where the goals will come from as Hemed and Baldock will probably struggle at the next level. The nucleous is there, but we're probably 5 or 6 players short at this time. Exciting times these are!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I was thinking about this the other day and our back 4 are good enough for the next level, but not the back 4 we currently start with. Bruno, is a quality player, but is just a little to slow for the Premier Lge. Stockdale, Bong, Rosenior, Goldson and Dunk. Kayal, Knockeart, Murphy(possibly and maybe Lua Lua from the bench. I'm unsure about Stephens, as he can be anonymous at times and doesn't command like Kayal. However, I'm not sure where the goals will come from as Hemed and Baldock will probably struggle at the next level. The nucleous is there, but we're probably 5 or 6 players short at this time. Exciting times these are!

Time to start a new thread .......... Tomer Hemed, nowhere near Premier League standard

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Surely those in and around the matchday squad would believe that given a pre-season they could stake a claim for a place in the 25. It will only be those who haven't been first team regulars this season that need to worry about finding a new club with the addition of those whose contracts are due to run out as the management team may feel they're not good enough to warrant a new contract.

In summary most players will be retained if we do get promoted some lesser used squad members may be shown the door

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Hemed used to score against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona for fun [emoji106] so why can't he nip in goals against West Ham, Swansea, Man U and the like?

GenericJames

Apr 2, 2016
You only need to look at some of the sides in the Premier League to measure the quality needed to survive in the top division.

Every single week, we turn out to watch a Brighton team play at a much higher level than teams like Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Crystal Palace etc. I do honestly think the side we have right now would be more than good enough to survive in the Premier League.

Of course, we would need to make additions to the squad; but that's really the discussion we should be having, not who we should be dropping.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Probably a genuine question asked at a tentative time.

Personally, and I believe this with some conviction, we already have an 11+7 that can survive in the PL fairly comfortably, and the team ethic is there.

Though obviously, we will need to strengthen the squad.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Bournemouth did the right thing, they kept the majority of their squad together, chose their signings well, didn't stuff the team with foreign players with poor attitudes who didn't understand their provenance and it has paid off. I think we have enough quality in our squad to keep us up if we can keep the majority of the squad together and add a few quality signings particularly up front.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Bournemouth did the right thing, they kept the majority of their squad together, chose their signings well, didn't stuff the team with foreign players with poor attitudes who didn't understand their provenance and it has paid off. I think we have enough quality in our squad to keep us up if we can keep the majority of the squad together and add a few quality signings particularly up front.

Brilliant post.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
There is no way on this earth that Greer would retire, he's just become a Scotland regular. If he isn't offered new terms then he'll end up still playing for a Championship team, maybe someone like Wigan when they come back up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here