Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Peter Begrie thinks

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Peter Beagrie is one of the few TV analysts that seems to have any grasp of the league outside the premier league. I doubt he just bases his views on the televised games, it's not the impression I've had of him over the years.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Well I'd like to think anyone giving an 'expert' opinion would have done a bit more research than one TV game !

I think he is basing his view on what he has seen of us on telly, he is hardly going to be an Amex regular is he. It's all rather pointless anyway. Of course we would be better if we had the Bridcutt that starred for his new club last weekend but we hadn't seen that from him this season for various reasons. And, you are right, we are lacking creativity and that is what needs addressing. David Rodriguez might prove to be an answer. But what you can be sure of is that Peter Beagrie knows nothing at all about him.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The idea that people are disagreeing with Beagrie on the basis we won't miss our two time player of the year or Ashley Barnes' goals is wishful thinking.

Barnes may have only scored five goals this season - but that is only one less than Ulloa and more than most of our team.

I understand why we sold them both. I think the club made the correct decision in both cases. But to say we won't miss either or their input over the coming weeks is wrong in my opinion.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Peter Beagrie is one of the few TV analysts that seems to have any grasp of the league outside the premier league. I doubt he just bases his views on the televised games, it's not the impression I've had of him over the years.

Do you know, I would have agreed with you until this rather naive and ill-informed piece. Just comes across as another chuck cash at it merchant.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Do you know, I would have agreed with you until this rather naive and ill-informed piece. Just comes across as another chuck cash at it merchant.

He seems to think Brighton had a choice in selling them when, in reality, Barnes wasn't going to sign a new deal and would leave for free and Bridcutt wanted to leave. Disappointingly naïve view from an otherwise informed pundit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Would you be questioning him if he praised us for signing a key player from Charlton and a new ulloa in Rodriguez who could fire us into the play offs if he has the same effect as ulloa last season?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He seems to think Brighton had a choice in selling them when, in reality, Barnes wasn't going to sign a new deal and would leave for free and Bridcutt wanted to leave. Disappointingly naïve view from an otherwise informed pundit.

We did have a choice.

Yes, the financial cost of not selling Barnes isn't a great choice, but it would have been a trade off, taking the hit on the transfer money for his on field contribution (I think it's no coincidence that since Barnes left ulloa has become more isolated leading to us scoring one goal in four league games).

Bridcutt was still under contract and we could have refused to sell. Neither of us can predict if bridcutt would have been professional once the window closed and he was stuck here, if he would have knuckled down and put in his best performances to draw the offer we want, or sulked and under-performed or just refused to work, but that is a risk you take when choosing to keep a player who is under contract. It worked out for Liverpool, maybe it would have worked out for us.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We did have a choice.

Yes, the financial cost of not selling Barnes isn't a great choice, but it would have been a trade off, taking the hit on the transfer money for his on field contribution (I think it's no coincidence that since Barnes left ulloa has become more isolated leading to us scoring one goal in four league games).

Bridcutt was still under contract and we could have refused to sell. Neither of us can predict if bridcutt would have been professional once the window closed and he was stuck here, if he would have knuckled down and put in his best performances to draw the offer we want, or sulked and under-performed or just refused to work, but that is a risk you take when choosing to keep a player who is under contract. It worked out for Liverpool, maybe it would have worked out for us.

I think Bridcutt would have been fine if he had stayed. But I don't think we would have got as high an offer come the summer.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Bridcutt would have been fine if he had stayed. But I don't think we would have got as high an offer come the summer.

Maybe not, but we would have a stronger squad as we chase the play offs. That is the choice of the club, keep the player and retain a strong squad, possibly getting a lower transfer fee in the summer and possibly getting promotion ourselves, or sell the player for a bit more money and end up with a weaker squad that reduces our chances of promotion if we can't get replacements.

That is the clubs choice. Time will tell if they made the right one.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Would you be questioning him if he praised us for signing a key player from Charlton and a new ulloa in Rodriguez who could fire us into the play offs if he has the same effect as ulloa last season?

I'd be disinclined to believe he would have any knowledge of Rodriguez so he'd be guessing. As for Stephens, bearing in mind what has been said previously herein it is odd do you not think that he doesn't do precisely that?

However you want to spin it, this is nonsense:

I was stunned that Brighton allowed pivotal players Ashley Barnes and Liam Bridcutt to leave

Really? An ex professional footballer is stunned that one professional footballer with a few months left on his contract went to another club for a load more money in January for a fee rather than at the end of the season for nothing and that another who was "not focused enough to play" for his salary paying employer anymore and who had previously stated it would be "hard to turn down" a move to a Premier League club was sold to a Premier League club.

He is stunned by that? Crikey, wait til someone explains space travel to him.

theboybilly

Have you actually been to a Brighton game? In 47 years of watching Brighton, I'd say that Barnes' defensive work is better than any other of our striker's. I'm really hard-pressed to think of anyone who's had Ashley's appetite for tracking back and hounding the opposition.

Whatever you say about his goals, his defensive qualities can't be faulted

Really? Looking for a foul, throwing his arms in the air then trudging back while the opposition pass the ball around him doesn't constitute 'tracking back' in my opinion (though he did get stuck in by a corner flag once I seem to remember). But I'm glad you found enjoyment watching him.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
And the Suarez analogy is just not the same. He wanted to leave Liverpool, yes. He did not want to go to Arsenal though. Had it been Real Madrid (for example) the outcome may have been different. Liam was clearly desperate to go to Sunderland and that is because they would pay him loads more than us and because Gus is their manager.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The idea that people are disagreeing with Beagrie on the basis we won't miss our two time player of the year or Ashley Barnes' goals is wishful thinking.

Barnes may have only scored five goals this season - but that is only one less than Ulloa and more than most of our team.

I understand why we sold them both. I think the club made the correct decision in both cases. But to say we won't miss either or their input over the coming weeks is wrong in my opinion.

That depends on their replacements. Ince has been fantastic, and SD2 is an unknown. There is a good chance the latter will contribute more than Barnes, at least as a striker who scores goals. We shall see.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That depends on their replacements. Incer has been fantastic, and SD2 is an unknown. There is a good chance the latter will contribute more than Barnes, at least as a striker who scores goals. We shall see.

Agree, it could work out fine.

I would have liked to see more of Ince and Bridcutt alongside each other. But, as I've said, I completely understand and agree with the club's decision to sell them both.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe not, but we would have a stronger squad as we chase the play offs. That is the choice of the club, keep the player and retain a strong squad, possibly getting a lower transfer fee in the summer and possibly getting promotion ourselves, or sell the player for a bit more money and end up with a weaker squad that reduces our chances of promotion if we can't get replacements.

That is the clubs choice. Time will tell if they made the right one.

They DO have replacements, one of which has already made a fantastic contribution to our season (Ince). The other (SD2) is an unknown. The club made the right decision with both sales IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sadly money doesn't have the ability to run on the pitch and kick a football.

So yeah, he's probably right.

Wow! I never knew that. What fabulous insight. Money can't play football. You live and learn.

However, Ince and, hopefully, SD2 can play football. The key question is: can SD2 score more than 1 in 4 goals per game (a la Barnes)? Because goals, not hold-up play, or tackling back, is what we are lacking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here