Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What paper,will you buy tomorrow ?

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just seriously interested, leekbrook. What would make anyone go and put a comma between 'paper' and 'will'?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never buy a paper at weekends

brighton2win

Aug 21, 2005
I don't mean to sound critical, I'm just seriously interested, leekbrook. What would make anyone go and put a comma between 'paper' and 'will'?

cant believe ive just logged in to say this, but theres so much pedantic shit on this board. you think he might have miss-hit the space bar and hit the comma key instead? considering theyre next to each other and the lack of a space after the comma. and oh yes you can pick my up on my punctuation if you want xx

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I put the comma in. As like when you take a breath of air before you ask the next question. I have not done it as a trick question. :bigwave:

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
cant believe ive just logged in to say this, but theres so much pedantic shit on this board. you think he might have miss-hit the space bar and hit the comma key instead? considering theyre next to each other and the lack of a space after the comma. and oh yes you can pick my up on my punctuation if you want xx

Yeah, if he did it once maybe. But leekbrook does it all the time, commas akimbo. And it might be pedantic to you but to me it was a fair question, to which leekbrook gave a decent answer. If I was being pedantic I would say "didn't you even read what I said? I said I don't want to sound critical, I'm just genuinely interested why" now wouldn't I?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Why waste paper, when you can get all the news online, and that includes the dailies. For example;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/dailymail/home.html?in_page_id=1766

Okay, so you can take the paper on the train, in the restaurant, or sit by the fire with it (and start a fire with it), but the internet has all the news with accessible links to pick and choose the stories.

I generally but the Guardian at lunchtimes and do the crossword. Just not the same online..

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We have purchased the Daily Telegraph and are faced with such stories as Labours Pledge on mixed-sex wards is scrapped...Be barve the McCans tell Medeleine, Air strikes, Queens speech and yada yada yada....

Although having said that any paper is boring today - Zef's at Worthing Hospital as Nana has had a big fall, and Arthurs asleep in bed with a very horrible tummy bug, 3 days of vomitting and diorehea, poor thing... Couldn't care what the papers say today to be honest...

Christmas? Bah Humbug....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sports Argus (if only to see how they fill the space this week :lol: ), Sunday Mirror and News Of The World. Bound to be acres of Manc scrubbers have flogged their My-Six-In-A-Bed-Sex-Shame stories from the ManU Xmas Party. Altogether now: 'They were like ANIMALS'

That's odd. I only opened this thread because I had noticed the comma in leeky's thread title, for the umpteenth time, and thought it is time to finally ask him why he uses such bizarre punctuation.

His reply, mind you, doesn't help.

Leeky, punctuation marks information structure, not rhythm. Back in the 17th century it did mark rhythm, but by the end of the 18th century, punctuation was used exclusively for information structure - as it still is today. This is for the simple reason that spoken language and written language became separated (with the rise of print), and the rhythms of spoken English have nothing to do with written English, which requires punctuation as a marker of information structure in place of spoken language's intonation. The obvious example is the use of the question mark in replace of rising (questioning) intonation in spoken English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here