Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What one thing would you do to improve NSC?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would remove the current embargo restricting the posting of images of dogs in funny costumes to a Friday. A dog is for life, not just for Fridays.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Classic - Please.

Some sort of ranking system - where as you post more you go up the ladder to a better Brighton player each time, it could be in correlation with thumbs - so a negative thumbs poster would few posts would be Lorenzo Pinamonte, a positive 'thumber' with a large amount of posts at the top Peter Ward.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but occasionally people ask about no ads. Like most sites, NSC relies on a simple trade-off: you get a small bit of site usage comprised of server processing and bandwidth in exchange for your eyeballs passing over a few adverts. Hopefully, every now and again, you might click on an advert (On NSC, something like 1 in every 2,000 adverts get clicked).

So, if you want an ad-free NSC, your bit of site usage still needs to be paid for.

I see many other forums with premium paid-for memberships. I have no idea how successful they are.
If it's broke, it needs fixing. But is it broke? I assume it works quite well as it is.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Actual punishment for "thumbs down." An electrical shock delivered through the keyboard.

electric-shock-alarm-clock-header.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If it's broke, it needs fixing. But is it broke? I assume it works quite well as it is.

It would be entirely optional for those who wanted ad-free, attached some value to the other bundle of extra features or simply wanted to support the site. Nothing would change for anyone else.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some sort of ranking system - where as you post more you go up the ladder to a better Brighton player each time, it could be in correlation with thumbs - so a negative thumbs poster would few posts would be Lorenzo Pinamonte, a positive 'thumber' with a large amount of posts at the top Peter Ward.

Like the one we already have (but hasn't been looked at for a long, long time)?

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 14.54.36.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would be entirely optional for those who wanted ad-free, attached some value to the other bundle of extra features
That doesn't answer my question. Is it currently broke - ie, are you having to fund the site or are you making a profit?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've seen it done on other forums- I belong to the largest mental health forum in the UK and they also use vbulletin - a live chatroom type thing. It works quite nicely on there (although I'm not sure they understand the term binfest), especially late at night, when there's no one to talk to. Just a thought perhaps?

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].... this one please!

Sometimes a thread is killed by an argument between two posters, sometimes you want to start an argument, sometime you just want a chat... a chatroom option would probably help quite a lot.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Have a symbol similar to the "contributed" green arrow to show when the user has voted on a poll, but not necessarily added any comments (orange arrow?), or had a bet using v-cash, would save having to go into each thread to see.

During WC and Euros it is difficult to know which games I had voted on the correct score for example.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Classic - Please.

Cue arguments as to the ranking of the "best brighton players". I would aim to be a Mark Lawrenson.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That doesn't answer my question. Is it currently broke - ie, are you having to fund the site or are you making a profit?

It's broke in that some people ask "can I have NSC without the ads please?" It would be relatively easy to implement (if it took me much time I'd not do it as I'm lazy).

NSC is in the black most months which is why we are able to make charity donations, give out cash prizes and retain a buffer in case Google pull the plug, which has happened several times temporarily. If Google halted ads permanently then NSC would be immediately making a significant loss month-on-month.

Besides that risk, revenues from on-site display ads is on a general, and likely permanent, decline: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/t...the-monsters-that-swallowed-the-web.html?_r=0

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I suppose I could post more often.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Like the one we already have (but hasn't been looked at for a long, long time)?

View attachment 63926

YES!

But make it attached to my profile (above my picture)
<<<<<<<< There?

I would add in about 100 Players - and create a formula where net negative thumbs + lots of posts would mean you were a Brighton player who played often, but on average was disliked. i.e JFC (it's an example - don't shoot me) vs fewer posts + net positive thumbs = a well remembered loan player, possibly a Steve Sidwell.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Stop banning people for posting youtube videos would be a GREAT start I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here