What now, Boris?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Theresa May "refusing to rule out" forcible repatriation of EU citizens currently in the UK.
That'll go down well with the millions of Brits domiciled in the EU with the potential of tit for tat expulsions. :nono:
We really have become a very nasty and somewhat grubby little nation.

This is a frightening thought, we lose all the EU nationals that pick our food because we won't work for the money they do and we get back all the dross from Spain that we thought we had got rid of.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
we get back all the dross from Spain that we thought we had got rid of.

If that was to happen I'm quite confident that Mrs Leadsom will bang her first on the table, shout loudly and slowly in English and make various, vague threats at the Spanish, then be told by an 'expert' that the NHS can't cope with more old people, and roll over and give them Gibraltar, particularly as they voted remain as well. She won't want their sort round here either.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is a frightening thought, we lose all the EU nationals that pick our food because we won't work for the money they do and we get back all the dross from Spain that we thought we had got rid of.

Surely with all these new jobs all the benefits paid to jobseekers will be saved?

Or was it they used immigration as an excuse not to work?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Surely with all these new jobs all the benefits paid to jobseekers will be saved?

Or was it they used immigration as an excuse not to work?

Job Seekers Allowance will be scrapped as it won't be needed. Everyone will be employed and £72.40 a week and the opportunity to be patronised, hassled and belittled by a low grade British civil servant at a Job Centre Plus who has little practical knowledge of helping people get a job is a real magnet for immigrants, who only come to this country to claim it. It won't be needed anymore.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If that was to happen I'm quite confident that Mrs Leadsom will bang her first on the table, shout loudly and slowly in English and make various, vague threats at the Spanish, then be told by an 'expert' that the NHS can't cope with more old people, and roll over and give them Gibraltar, particularly as they voted remain as well. She won't their sort round here either.

Job Seekers Allowance will be scrapped as it won't be needed. Everyone will be employed and £72.40 a week and the opportunity to be patronised, hassled and belittled by a low grade British civil servant at a Job Centre Plus who has little practical knowledge of helping people get a job is a real magnet for immigrants, who only come to this country to claim it. It won't be needed anymore.

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I'm worried about where all the crims will go if they can't sit on the Costas enjoying their ill gotten gains?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Theresa May "refusing to rule out" forcible repatriation of EU citizens currently in the UK.
That'll go down well with the millions of Brits domiciled in the EU with the potential of tit for tat expulsions. :nono:
We really have become a very nasty and somewhat grubby little nation.

No chance. I wonder what percentage of the Brits living abroad in Europe are taking advantage of the local welfare system to send money back to Britain? I bet it is pretty close to none.

I was on the fence during the whole thing but completely disagree when people point to Brits living throughout Europe as a tit for tat measure. A Polish family claiming benefits and sending half of it home to Poland is COMPLETELY different to a Brit working full time or a retired couple spunking their pension in the south of Spain. They should just stop any kind of benefits for non nationals - problem solved.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
No chance. I wonder what percentage of the Brits living abroad in Europe are taking advantage of the local welfare system to send money back to Britain? I bet it is pretty close to none.

I was on the fence during the whole thing but completely disagree when people point to Brits living throughout Europe as a tit for tat measure. A Polish family claiming benefits and sending half of it home to Poland is COMPLETELY different to a Brit working full time or a retired couple spunking their pension in the south of Spain. They should just stop any kind of benefits for non nationals - problem solved.
The point you miss is that IF we were to forcibly repatriate EU nationals then the EU will inevitably reciprocate.
If you begin your negotiation by threatening to do so they will also threaten.
Pandering to the lowest common denominator in any society is not without consequences.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you begin your negotiation by threatening to do so they will also threaten.

no one has "threatened anything. no one has made any promises either. you understand the difference, or would you rather a party leadership election or any media brief be used to draft future policy on the fly?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
no one has "threatened anything. no one has made any promises either. you understand the difference, or would you rather a party leadership election or any media brief be used to draft future policy on the fly?

Refusing to rule out such extreme action is unquestionably an implied threat.
And in the context of a leadership election I would suggest "policy on the fly" is a pretty good description

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Thankfully, I just can't see that happening for loads of reasons that should be obvious to most.
My wife and I have got friendly with quite a number of EU citizens living in the UK, and without exception, they are hardworking, intelligent people who would be a huge loss to the country and their employers.
Thats the ludicrous thing about restricting freedom of movement, we trade on the whole hard working, tax paying european workers, many of whom may well retire in their native countries, for over a million ex-pats a large number of them retired and many may require assistance in housing due to the collapse in the Spanish housing market, not to mention the added pressure on the NHS of so many pensioners needing treatment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Government won't do that because they thought it was a bad idea in the first place and even though they lost they will continue to scare and bring out probably unnecessary measures in a we told you so way.
I did not want us to leave but we have and the wrangling will go on, May will probably be PM and what will happen is it will be an extremely watered down Brexit which will really upset the Tory leavers and so it will go on and on like children rather than getting on and running the country.

What do you mean by "extremely watered down Brexit"? There is no such thing, you either invoke Article 50 and leave, or you don't invoke it and remain in.

Farage and Boris have gone, Gove's treachery has terminated his political career at the top while the stories about Andrea Leadsom's complete U-turn on the EU from her pro-EU stance of 2013 mean she has no political credibility. As for Liam Fox he lost in the Tory Leadership election a decade or so ago and has very few supporters now.

If we are to Brexit then there will be precious few around the UK side of the table that voted for it. I hope that May does the right thing and puts the decision about Article 50 to parliament.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yeah, seems about it doesnt it.

Attachments

• schrodingers immigrant.jpg
    schrodingers immigrant.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 118

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Thats the ludicrous thing about restricting freedom of movement, we trade on the whole hard working, tax paying european workers, many of whom may well retire in their native countries, for over a million ex-pats a large number of them retired and many may require assistance in housing due to the collapse in the Spanish housing market, not to mention the added pressure on the NHS of so many pensioners needing treatment.

Think it will be sorted by negotiation, so realistically I don't really think it will end in tears.
Can't help thinking though, that our lovely friends may be a little concerned in the meantime, and who could blame them.
If we get a load of our old ex-pats back, no more Benidorm on the box......just rename it Bognor!???

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My contempt for Johnson grows by the day. Some grubby article in the Telegraph calling for others to do EXACTLY what it was HIS duty to have done over that first weekend. I'm absolutely delighted Gove stabbed him in the chest. I'll be even more pleased when Gove gets trounced in their leadership contest and ends up on the back benches himself, sitting right next to fat Boris.

They are both d*cks of the highest order. completely untrustworthy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports