Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What meat will you be having at Christmas?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Venison - it's the only time of year I can afford to splash out and it's worth every penny.

I like venison but haven't found it that much more expensive than a goose or nice sirloin joint.

*edit* having said that none of them are 'everyday' prices

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I like venison but haven't found it that much more expensive than a goose or nice sirloin joint.

Bloody Townies! Venison is not expensive if you are in the right part of the world.... :p

In fact if you are in the right part of the world with a big enough vehicle and you possess a strong stomach it can be very inexpensive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
411428b.jpg

Yuck.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I have tried Venison a couple of times and it's very nice, only had the packets of cubed Venison though. I have not seen Venison joint anywhere though. Maybe for us on a budget Aldi will introduce Venison Shanks ?

albionite

May 20, 2009
The missus and myself are spending the day round friends this year instead of our families to avoid the hassle of it all.

I've been told we're having Goose, I've never eaten it before so am a little nervous and I'm not sure if I will like it. I've had roast potatoes done in goose fat and they were fantastic so I'm hoping it's going to be a great meal!!!!

If you like duck you will like Goose, so much nicer than turkey.
Normally have goose but going for turkey and beef this year.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Two homemade chicken curries for Christmas Day meal this year.

I've had venison before, ages ago but it was only venison sausages (probably I think when I lived in Seven Dials and Waitrose was the nearest supermarket*). I don't remember that they were that nice. I'm sure a venison steak may be a different proposition though.

*apart from Londis and Co-Op.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Thanks Al, but as a multi media conglomerate I fear your budget is well above this humble scribe's. Break it to me gently, how much for 5 1/2 lb of Venison Shanks then ?

I will say this only once more, get yourself access to something like a Transit Van, drive into deepest Rural Sussex and you will have Venison shanks, flanks and giblets a plenty, you may not even have to run the deer over yourself on a busy night.... :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I will say this only once more, get yourself access to something like a Transit Van, drive into deepest Rural Sussex and you will have Venison shanks, flanks and giblets a plenty, you may not even have to run the deer over yourself on a busy night.... :thumbsup:

Nah, Bow and Arrow is a more traditional, and considerably more appropriate, method for the current times of hardship.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Nah, Bow and Arrow is a more traditional, and considerably more appropriate, method for the current times of hardship.

Hmm, visions of Richard Greene......

That may be true but how do you get it home to its appointment with the chainsaw without the Transit Van?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hmm, visions of Richard Greene......

That may be true but how do you get it home to its appointment with the chainsaw without the Transit Van?

Ah, you only pick off a small Bambi and then walk home with it wrapped around your shoulders a la Errol Flynn. That method is also a good bird puller and breaks the ice at parties.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Got my goose from aldis last week,
Frozen ones £19.99

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never had it? What's it like? Silly question I know.

Beefier than beef, gets 'gamier' the longer it is hung, best with a very robust red wine or port based sauce.

I know he is a chef that has fallen out of favour but there is Gary Rhodes Venison Haunch and Savoury Fig Tart recipe which is just superb, I am lobbying Mrs Jakarta hard for it to be our Christmas Lunch!

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
My Grand parents had a farm and Xmas eve a goose was chosen and knocked off for the following day. After having been attached to them since they where goslings in early spring I struggled to eat Goose for Xmas lunch, scared for life I suppose.
We normally have lamb and before anybody says anything, I suppose they used to go off in a truck so didn't really see them turned into a nice joint for Xmas.

Noldi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here