Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What makes a GOOD pub..?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Decent ale with at least a couple of good guest ales.
A dart board and they don't ask for a deposit for using the darts.
A pub dog.
Beer that is £3.50 or less.
Giant jenga (I played this in a pub a couple of years ago and it was great fun).
They hold pub quizzes.
A good selection of crisps, nuts and pork scatchings.
A nice garden.
An open fire.
Friendly bar staff.
They don't accept payment by card.
There's plenty of chairs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A good selection of beer, and some friends. That's it really.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
At least one old codger who has sat in the same spot and drunk the same drink since before the current landlord.

An old fashioned till operated by someone who does all the adding up in their head, none of this touchscreen crap.

The only substantial food available is ham sandwich or cheese sandwich. You cannot get a ham and cheese sandwich without buying one of each. They are already made and sitting under a glass cloche. They are not particularly tasty but are served immediately and cost a pound.

There should be a selection of the underworld from wide boys up to proper gangsters. They will all be perfectly friendly and even buy you the odd round. One without a nose for trouble would not really notice them, except when a couple of young men in smart shoes walk in when they roll their eyes. This is shortly followed by a barmaid saying "evening officers - will you be staying for a drink?"

They serve good beer - that this may also be real ale is incidental.

Lock-ins. With smoking.

An old brass with a mouth like a sailor.

An old fashioned jukebox that broke down years ago and they had the good sense to never repair.

Outside khazis. Reasonably clean, fully functioning and draughty.

So you drink in the Stout House in Horsham too then?

D

Deleted member 18477

No kids! Sat in a pub garden last night and 4 kids were literally running round the table I was seated at.

Parents not in sight, sort your fudging kids out idiots!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As long as I am satisfied in the bum and mouth departments, I am happy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A real fire in the winter.
Landlord wears a shirt and tie.
Decent ales AND a decent selection of wines/spirits too.
Friendly and attractive barmaids (if they can boast a decent "top set", then so much the better).
Absolutely no mobile phone coverage whatsoever.
A selection of the days newspapers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Craft Beer Co in Brighton comes pretty close to my idea of a perfect pub. A fantastic and varied range of real ales, craft beers and lagers. Decent snacks as opposed to food. Friendly helpful staff. And a varied clientele. I have had some great nights in there with my chums.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
no ****ing dogs
no lairy 'lads'

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
At least one old codger who has sat in the same spot and drunk the same drink since before the current landlord.

An old fashioned till operated by someone who does all the adding up in their head, none of this touchscreen crap.

The only substantial food available is ham sandwich or cheese sandwich. You cannot get a ham and cheese sandwich without buying one of each. They are already made and sitting under a glass cloche. They are not particularly tasty but are served immediately and cost a pound.

There should be a selection of the underworld from wide boys up to proper gangsters. They will all be perfectly friendly and even buy you the odd round. One without a nose for trouble would not really notice them, except when a couple of young men in smart shoes walk in when they roll their eyes. This is shortly followed by a barmaid saying "evening officers - will you be staying for a drink?"

Lock-ins. With smoking.

An old fashioned jukebox that broke down years ago and they had the good sense to never repair.

I'd be happy to give this place my custom.

Can I throw in a dusty trophy behind the bar won by the pub darts/pool/crib league in 1977 and some witty graffiti in the bogs?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anywhere HKFC and Nibble don't go.... Moaning their f.ucking heads off.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

Lock-ins. With smoking.

Exactly proper pub

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One that serves an old fashioned roast with peas and carrots, none of this articulate, designer veg.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would go to a pub that does food but it would never be my local. I don't blame them though because they make good money from it.

Gave up going in North Laine pre match because all the tables have 'reserved' signs on them for diners.Why be a micro brewery ?
Same has happened to most of the pubs in Shoreham, good food but if you just want a drink it's tricky.

A bit of basic nosh at lunchtime but not an evening gastro pub for me. They're restaurants.
Fullers have given most of their boozers around here over to that area now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would go to a pub that does food but it would never be my local. I don't blame them though because they make good money from it.

Gave up going in North Laine pre match because all the tables have 'reserved' signs on them for diners.Why be a micro brewery ?
Same has happened to most of the pubs in Shoreham, good food but if you just want a drink it's tricky.

A bit of basic nosh at lunchtime but not an evening gastro pub for me. They're restaurants.
Fullers have given most of their boozers around here over to that area now.

This is why Craft has it right in my opinion. I often need something more substantial than crisps and a scotch egg or some cheese fits the bill. If I want to have a proper meal then I go to a restaurant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here