Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your experience of using EBAY.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
For me its great. I pick up film prints here and there which are otherwise impossible to find. It's expensive (£750 a pop) but I otherwise simply wouldn't be able to track down such items!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have bought over 100 items on E bay and every transaction bar one has been without a problem. The only one with a problem was when a guy was selling for the first time and did not use very good packaging. He was very embarrassed when I contacted him. It can be quite exciting watching the clock and the different bids occurring.
Have you ever sold anything on there?
Do you know anyone who does really well on there?
I have not sold on there yet,so what problems are out there?

Go through periods of buying and selling a lot every once in a while. I tend to buy bulk lots of "collectables" and sell them off individually (for a profit).

I was ripped off by someone in France in my early days who claimed the stuff didn't arrive and then auctioned exactly the stuff I had sold him the week after - got no help from eBay at all. Now only ever send stuff via Recorded Delivery or International Signed For, however small or cheap!

Recently sold some (expensive) face cream the better half had got (for the free stuff that came with it!!) and the buyer claimed I'd sent a fake, raised a complaint with eBay and got the money frozen. Despite the fact I had the receipt, proof of postage & delivery and photos of the cream unopened with its "certificate of authenticity" (its expensive stuff!) and the buyer having changed their story twice, eBay adjudicated in their favour! I appealed (and issued a complaint) and it was confirmed earlier this week that they had reversed the decision and credited the money back to me.

Its not a living, its not even a supplemental income. But it can be fun.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Only had positive experiences.

Spending 230 pounds on bicycle parts at present I'm having sent over to me in Australia by a 74 year old gent in the UK. Lovely chap, been as helpful as anyone could be.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Generally had positive experiences, both selling and buying. 99% of people who I've dealt with are fine. Its when you get a chancer/scammer/idiot or a combo of all three, that's when problems can occur.

The casual chancers generally aren't too bright or original. EBay is heavily weighted in favour of the buyer, so getting any the description 110% correct is essential. Don't leave nothing to chance by understating or overstating the condition of anything you may be selling. Having said that, I've had a couple of occasions when a previously mentioned idiot has complained about a blemish or fault that was clearly stated - One was an old Nokia N95 I was selling for purely scrap or spares. The bloke emailed me to say it wouldn't switch on despite being fully charged!

The most frustrating thing with eBay imo is getting unjustified feedback removed. Basically you can't unless you go down the road of filing an eBay defamation report (logistical nightmare) its virtually impossible. Good feedback can be at the mercy of the chancers and idiots unless it can be proven they are pulling a scam. Whilst I've only had to deal with those situations about three times over the years, neverless its hassle nobody needs.

For items of even moderate value, sending the goods by recorded or tracked delivery is vital. Whilst most people are honest, there's still a few chancers who will try the "I haven't received my item and want a refund" trick. High value items, I always send special delivery.

Certain goods I will only ship to the UK. I make that VERY clear in the description.

As for buying: in over ten years, I've only once had to claim my money back when a CD I bought on behalf of my daughter was clearly a snide fake.

In general, most people on eBay are sound. You just have to be on your guard for those that aren't.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
will never buy off ebay if i can help it - amazon + prime is just better in every aspect - any problems are handled rapidly

selling has been ok - i only really sell old ps3 games that ive completed or done with, and not really ever had problems - had friends who sold clothing and bags who have had bellends trying to get out of paying. but then again, i'd never bother selling clothes on ebay, as id imagine potential buyers will look for any possible problem

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Generally had positive experiences, both selling and buying. 99% of people who I've dealt with are fine. Its when you get a chancer/scammer/idiot or a combo of all three, that's when problems can occur.

The casual chancers generally aren't too bright or original. EBay is heavily weighted in favour of the buyer, so getting any the description 110% correct is essential. Don't leave nothing to chance by understating or overstating the condition of anything you may be selling. Having said that, I've had a couple of occasions when a previously mentioned idiot has complained about a blemish or fault that was clearly stated - One was an old Nokia N95 I was selling for purely scrap or spares. The bloke emailed me to say it wouldn't switch on despite being fully charged!

The most frustrating thing with eBay imo is getting unjustified feedback removed. Basically you can't unless you go down the road of filing an eBay defamation report (logistical nightmare) its virtually impossible. Good feedback can be at the mercy of the chancers and idiots unless it can be proven they are pulling a scam. Whilst I've only had to deal with those situations about three times over the years, neverless its hassle nobody needs.

For items of even moderate value, sending the goods by recorded or tracked delivery is vital. Whilst most people are honest, there's still a few chancers who will try the "I haven't received my item and want a refund" trick. High value items, I always send special delivery.

Certain goods I will only ship to the UK. I make that VERY clear in the description.

As for buying: in over ten years, I've only once had to claim my money back when a CD I bought on behalf of my daughter was clearly a snide fake.

In general, most people on eBay are sound. You just have to be on your guard for those that aren't.

Exactly my experience, adopt an open eyed logical common sense approach when buying or selling, you will have very few issues.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I like ebay but I dislike Paypal, have heard some dodgy things about them and would never make a big transaction through them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here