Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your best Albion 11 and subs ?

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
My team would be
gk - Brez - who has been amazing since come back into team
rb - Calderon - Playing well recently and starting to get some quality shots off like did last season
lb - El abd - tough one but id stick with el abd who has been solid for us, i really rate him
cb - Greer - captain invincible - not blessed with pace but a very good defender and leader
cb - Dunk - Very good defender, good on ball and his positioning, confidence and calmness is awesome for someone so young
rm - Buckley - Insane player - in my opinion better than Bennett as more end product
cm - Reyes if fit as i think would be awesome with Bridcutt and give us chance to play 2 wingers -
cm - Bridcutt - My opinion our player of the year so far - with Buckley, Noone and Greer pushing him
lm - Lua Lua - Only reason went for Lua Lua is that Nooney hasnt played for ages and Lua Lua was playing well before injury - he can also beat a man soooo easy.
cf - Vokes - Id pick Vokes because he offers us something different and will hopefully take some workload off of Mackell smith and give him chance to concentrate on scoring goals.
cf - Mackell smith - been brillant for us this year doesnt matter on his lack of goals as he work rate and played a real big part in where we are in the league.
subs
gk - Gonzalez - i dont rate Ankergren
df - Mattock - Pace to come on and could move el abd into middle if need be
cm Sparrow as he has been playing really well recently.
rm-lm - Noone - what a player to have on the bench - scare the hell out of any team in this league
cf - Barnes - had a poor spell of performance but now starting to get back to what done consistently for our club .

This shows how good our squad is now as means all below wouldnt even make the bench if all fit - Agdestein (who has been amazing recently)cm - Caskey Forster - quality player and will definately play in premier league and properly England if keeps going way is, only 17 but looking a pro already in the championship when played, Vicente, Vincelot, Painter, Dicker, Elphick, Taricco, Harley, Ankergren, Hoskins, Poke, Rodgers, Kasim, Hall, Navarro, Sampayo.
Well done Brighton board and Gus building a strong squad in such a quick period

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Brez
Calderon
Greer
Dunk
Mattock
Vicente
Bridcutt
Buckley
Noone
CMS
Vokes

Subs
Ankergren
Sparrow
El Abd
Dicker
JFC

Last edited:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
--------------- Brezovan ---------------
Calderon --- Dunk --- Greer --- Reyes
Buckley --- Vicente -- Bridcutt -- Noone
------------ CMS ------ Barnes ----------

Stumpy Tim

--------------- Brezovan ---------------
Calderon --- Dunk --- Greer --- Mattock
Buckley --- Reyes-- Bridcutt -- Vicente
------------ CMS ------ Vokes----------

Very tight between Vokes and Barnes, & El-Abd & Dunk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Number 1 - Peter Ward
Number 2 - Peter Ward
Number 3 - Peter Ward
Number 4 - Peter Ward
Number 5 - Peter Ward

etc

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Brez
Calde Greer El Abd Mattock
Bridcutt
Buckley Reyes Vicente

CMS Vokes

Sub

Casper
Lua Lua
Spaz
Dunk
Noone

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Has anyone seen Mattock play? I have been impressed by AEA at left back in the last two games when he has played there, and the fact that he can play centre back if Gus needs to reshuffle his pack midway through the game is a big positive too. I wouldn't be so quick to shuffle him out of the back 4.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Where is Barnes ?

Who is gonna take the corners ?

What is Vokes doing in the starting line-up? He should be on the bench.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
-------------------------Brezovan-------------------------
----Reyes-------Greer--------El-Abd-----Mattock------
-------------------------Bridcutt--------------------------
---Buckley---------------------------------LuaLua-------
------------------------Vicente----------------------------
--------------Vokes----------------------------------------
----------------------------------CMS----------------------

Subs: Sparrow, Dunk, Agdestein, Noone, Navarro (sod having a keeper on the bench :lolol:)
I feel like a bastard for leaving out Barnes, Calde, Painter, JFC and Dicker but there just isn't any room..

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Some very tough calls - I don't envy Gus.

First up there is no "best team" as tactically we set up differently against different opposition and whether home or away.

Not looking beyond Saturday therefore and assuming a loose 4-3-3 formation....................

Brezovan - has done well since coming back. Not much between him and Casper as shot savers. Brez is better against crosses. Anks is better with the ball at his feet. Not much between them in the accuracy of their distribution although Brez's tendency to go long more often may actually have confused some teams who spend half the week before a game preparing to counter our passing around at the back.

Gonzalo Jara - Gus sees as a right back and he is the best at the club in terms of positional play and cultured passing so play him if he is fit but no worries about playing Calde if not. The difference is the extra cover our swashbuckling Spaniard requires to allow for his occassional defensive lapses

Greer - without peer for his organisational ability and a mean passer of the ball with excellent vision
Dunk - has come on so much especially in his ability to pass from the back. Sometimes out of position and maybe still lacks a little in body strength are the only question marks which is why he would be the vulnerable one to a challenge from an in form el Abd

Mattock - a natural left back with a cultured left foot. Not convinced of his match fitness after seeing him for West Brom against Norwich but with games he will improve. Quicker than Painter and quicker and a better passer (though not necessarily a better battler) than el Abd. Just gets the nod for me.

Bridcutt - best defensive mid in the Championship
Sparrow - suddenly found the best form since he joined us. Can defend but can also get ahead of the ball when we are going forward. Only JFC challenges him for all round ability
Foster-Caskey - thought long and hard about this one. Away from home I would go with Navarro to give us a bit more defensively but at home I think Jake gives us a potential edge in his enthusiasm and natural ability to get into dangerous positions in the box. I don't see him lasting a whole 90 minutes all that often at present but for me that is an advantage as he can give it everything for 60 minutes or so before we let Kaz or Nooney loose on a tiring defence. The most vulnerable spot in the team if we can get a Premiership-experienced player in on loan.

Buckley - in stunning form and able to make things happen as well as score
CMS - needs a goal or two to boost his confidence but with his non-stop style he is a wonderful player if you want someone to worry a defence into errors. With support he will more than double his goals tally by the end of the season. I would give him the Barnes' role of covering the full backs as he has the pace and energy to do it and still get up front in time when we go forward and coming at sides from deeper might also give him more space
Vokes - big man with a big job to do but as long as he is allowed to play centrally and keep close to CMS he will do a lot of damage

subs:
Ankergren - you would never have to worry at his ability to slot back in if needed

elAbd - in more consistent form than most of the defenders and able to slot in anywhere across the defence when needed - takes over the mantle from Vincelot as our utility player on the bench

Barnes - never been in better form and learning every game, he could benefit from coming on as a sub in his natural central attacking role but can also be used to plug a gap if we are struggling against attacking full backs

LuaLua - just gets the nod as first replacement winger ahead of Noone (if both are fit) because his burst of pace is unique and his shooting is better

Noone - gets in for me in a home game. Away from home he might not as I would possibly go for the physicality of young Agdestein

Last edited:

The Notorious BHA

Jan 29, 2011
-------------------------Brezovan-------------------------
----Reyes-------Greer--------El-Abd-----Mattock------
-------------------------Bridcutt--------------------------
---Noone---------------------------------LuaLua-------
-----------------------------------Vicente------------------------
-----------Buckley-----------------------------------------
--------------------------CMS-------------------------

Subs: Gonzalez, Sparrow, Calde, Zola, Poyet

banjo