Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is your all time favorite football quote?

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I saw a post on Twitter a while ago talking about famous football quotes.
The OP said that their favorite was, 'They think it's all over.... It is now.'
That got me wondering what you all have down as your favorite quote?

Mine is: "And what you can hear in the background is the roar of 30000 Seagulls planning a European tour."

This quote, for me, not only reflected on our best season in top flight football ever, it also captured the emotions of the last 40 something years of being a Brighton fan, the 'so near yet so far' feelings of the FA cup semi final and the memories that Jnr and I have created from following this amazing club.

(Please be gentle with me, this is the first thread I've felt confident enough to create)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Peter Crouch.

What would you be if you weren’t a footballer?

A virgin.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
…and Fergie’s “Football. Bloody Hell!” Succinctly sums the game up brilliantly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"But I’m wasting me breath on some of ya. I’m wasting me breath on some of ya.

What did I say to ya, about good players - they want to be good players all the time. Don’t you know how profound that is ? Are you’re not examining the f*cking words ?

Because you’ve had two good performances and you think I’m ‘Bertie Big Bollocks tonight, I’ll f*cking play how I like.’

But you won’t play how you like, because if you play how you like, I’ll f*cking stick the youth team in. If I’m going to take abuse from a bunch of cockroaches behind me, I’ll take abuse by doing it my way.

And that is f***ing conformity, not f***ing non conformity.

So you, you little c*** when I tell you to do something and you, you f*cking big c*** - when I tell you to do something, DO it. And if you come back at me, we’ll have a f*cking right sort out in here.

‘And you can pair up if you like. And you can f*cking pick someone else to help you. And you can bring your f*cking dinner. Because, by the time I’m finished with you, you’ll f*cking need it."

J. Sitton

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Football is the most important of the least important things in life." - Arrigo Sacchi

And when questioned on his managerial qualifications having never been a professional player himself:

"I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013

What did I say to ya, about good players - they want to be good players all the time. Don’t you know how profound that is ? Are you’re not examining the f*cking words ?

Because you’ve had two good performances and you think I’m ‘Bertie Big Bollocks tonight, I’ll f*cking play how I like.’

But you won’t play how you like, because if you play how you like, I’ll f*cking stick the youth team in. If I’m going to take abuse from a bunch of cockroaches behind me, I’ll take abuse by doing it my way.

So you, you little c*** when I tell you to do something and you, you f*cking big c*** - when I tell you to do something, DO it. And if you come back at me, we’ll have a f*cking right sort out in here.

‘And you can pair up if you like. And you can f*cking pick someone else to help you. And you can bring your f*cking dinner. Because, by the time I’m finished with you, you’ll f*cking need it."

J. Sitton
Brilliant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jack Grealish’s “what’s an encyclopedia?” takes some beating.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ben Foster’s “I’m literally being paid peanuts” is another favourite.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a favourite but I have felt like this sometimes over the years!

Clough “The players haven't got enough heart to fill a thimble” – on his Brighton side’s 8-2 defeat to Bristol Rovers.

This one I do like and although it was Clough I think De Zerbi is not much different.

On players “We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right”

This is my favourite Clough quote

“The River Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years”

Apparently a quote from a Peterborough fan after the 0-4 at London Road under Gus.

”f*** me, I didn’t know we were playing Real Madrid today”

I guess you had to have been there :smile: (and forgotten the correct score line in my case :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And the player or manager who referred to a cup game as “a potential potato skin”

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

J. Sitton
I was thinking the very same although just the bring your dinner part !
Probably the best fly on the wall football documentary there is

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Bobby Robson's quote really hits me. I remember vividly climbing up to the East Terrace of the Goldstone, the stool to stand on in my hand, gazing at pitch below me. And there, in that shabby stadium, the air perfumed by the fragrance of a multitude of Player's No 6, on that cold winter afternoon, I thought I'd found paradise.

That feeling remains so strong: didn't we all demonstrate when we fought so hard to save the club? That was the feeling of belonging, the pride in our city, the love of the club.

I can't think of anything that sums up that love for a club than Sir Bobby's statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here