Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the worst hotel you've ever stayed in?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
has to be Villa Modesto In the Philippines only $5 per night But did not stay...took the pics and left.

vm-bed1.jpg

vm-bed2.jpg

vm-ceiling.jpg

vm-drawer.jpg

vm-cr1.jpg

vm-tv.jpg

http://www.villamodestohotel.com/Villa_Intro.html

just in case you want to book..

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I stayed in a place in the middle of nowhere in deepest Wales.

When I walked into the bar & ordered a beer I got a reaction like that 'You made me miss' scene from An American Werewolf in London.

When I woke up in the morning I saw that my bed was about 10 feet away from a graveyard. :eek:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Can't really recall a "worst hotel" so I guess I've been fairly lucky. Most scary hotel would be the Holiday Inn in Memphis. Nothing wrong with the hotel and the facilities as such it more the fact that the place seemed full of drug dealers and whores that spoiled the place.

Easily by a mile, the "guest house" in Skegness on the weekend of the Grimsby relegation match. Run by family that had four generations living in the place. I've no proof of inbreeding, but the owners were the "Humber" family! The daughter who had a young baby was quality. Sneering at anybody who dared to ring the doorbell despite there being a lack of keys.

It was the works: Dodgy linen on dodgy beds, One bog and basin on the whole floor: There were approx 14 people in four rooms on that floor! Ancient wallpaper with a colour scheme of browns and grey that showed signs of damp in places. :( Permanent residents who were "down on their luck" One guy there hadn't seen his wife for three weeks after the owner had thrown her out! The grand finale of the weekend was water gushing through the ceiling at 3am after somebody had flaked out in a drunken coma and left a tap on.

Added to that the result at Grimsby, not a great weekend. At least we're at home this year for the final game.......

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
The Jhansi Palace Hotel in Jhansi India (on a drive from Dehli to a conference in Khajarahao, flew back but thought it would be fun to take three days driving!!!!). Only hotel with vacancies in the town ... We soon found out why!

Surely an omen when we we checking in that the power failed.

Then continued to fail at least every 20 mins through the night, causing the generator to kick in .. ouside of my room (no silencer). Air con didn't work, bare elec wires close to the shower in the bathroom. Porter phone in the hall rang at least twice an hour .. noone ever answered it (I ended up pulling it out the socket and hiding it). Waiters jacket and trousers at breakfast looked like it was sporting the menu for the last 10 years ... we skipped breakfast!:ohmy:

if you ever have the misfotune to visit Jhansi, avoid the Jhansi Palace like the Plague (which they probably have somewhere!)

Last edited:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
One opposite Warrington Bank Quay station - about £25.00. I later recommended it to some collaeagues who haven't spoken to me since as it was a knocking shop apparently. At least I wasn't kept awake all night apart from the passing trains.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Worst hotel? A truly terrible one on Collins Avenue, Miami Beach. The name, sadly, has been forever erased from my memory. Apart from the fact that it was about 10km down Collins from Miami, and so was a right royal pain in the arse getting in and out of town, the rooms had no running water and it had a smashed-up toilet, ripped carpets and a broken window! All for $100 a night.

Oh, and an Elvis impersonator in the lobby :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cyberhostel. A net cafe with a sideline hotel. When I say netcafe it had one computer, so I dont know why they called it cyber.

15,000sucre a night. ==> £1

Hole in the floor with a rug hiding it - cue falling half way into the room below. No lock on the door. Mould aplenty. Shared bathroom with 50 other people.

Great experience though. Stayed their for a week as it was so cheap.

If you want the address - Rue de la Bolivar, Quito, Ecuador.

My name should be found in their visitors book.

:)

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Trufflehound said:
The Black Coffee Hotel in Chengdu, China. A former bomb shelter, it was built in underground vaulted rooms with no windows and no ventilation. Once inside you lose track of time, and get periodically concussed by banging your head on the low ceilings. Humidity was permanently around 100%, and there was always moisture dripping off the mouldy walls. The passage to the communal showers involved walking on loose brick stepping stones across a flooded corridor and side-stepping the breaststroking rats. Once you got to the showers the walls were black with mould.

On the plus side it was only $1 a night.

In Thailand I nominate the On On Hotel. Part of the Beach was filmed there -it was supposedly the place Leonardo di Caprio stayed in Bangkok, except that it's actually in Phuket Town. Just your standard Asian Chinese hotel (i.e walls that don't meet the floor or ceiling) but the infestation of cockroaches had to be seen to be believed - I'm literally talking in terms of THOUSANDS per room, rather than the odd one or two.

And many of those cheap places in Asia double up as short-term brothels as well as hotels and rat, cockroach 'n' bedbug farms. There's nothing like coming back to your room and seeing the manager in the hall, peeking through the keyhole of the room next door, jerking himself off in time to the goings-on he was watching (that was in Baguio in the Philippines by the way - fortunately I forget the name of the hotel).

Ah, the travel stories :lolol:. Love 'em!

We had a great hotel in Chengdu, for only about $5 a night. Had a bad one in Laos, though, where you could hear rats in the walls and ceilings all night. I woke up in the middle of the night to find a hungry rodent tucking into the crisps i'd left by the side of the bed. Was a tad bit unnerving :lolol:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In terms of what you get for the money, I've stayed in a couple of shockers in Brighton.

Can't remember the name, but one of the big hotels just off the front turned the heating off in the middle of the night and it was freezing.

We arrived back late to the porter who tried to sell us very, very overpriced drinks (for even hotel standards) out of a carrier bag he kept in his office.

This hotel was part of a large chain.

Should have complained, but it was one of those situations where you would possibly be responsible for people being paid very little being made redundant.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I once stopped at a B+B in Burton. The bed had a strange smell, so I pulled back the sheet and found the biggest blood stain I have ever seen. It must have been over two feet across. :(

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
dougdeep said:
I once stopped at a B+B in Burton. The bed had a strange smell, so I pulled back the sheet and found the biggest blood stain I have ever seen. It must have been over two feet across. :(

That reminds me of an experience that happened to a bloke I was at school with, far disgusting to reveal on a family football messageboard.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I once stayed in a very large old hotel in Manchester and was surprised to find my room came with a complimentary traffic cone.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last season I "treated" myself to an overnighter after the game at Rotherham. I think it was called the station hotel, 100yds from the ground. Bargain £25 B&B but you get what you pay for.

Blood stained towels in the communal bathroom, empty cans of special brew and fags in the bog.

I won't be staying there next season

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Stayed in a few rough-ish places but not much in comparison to some of the above. Worst experience was in La Paz (Bolivia), received a severe electric shock from the shower, the head is electified and heats the water, this is not a good idea. Went back the following year and stayed in the same hotel, learnt from my previous experience and wore flip-flops in the shower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here