Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What is the record opening stand v Sussex?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
2 quick wickets for Sussex, Middlesex falling apart

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If we ignore the first 375 runs Middlesex are 25/2 ... Good start.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting tweet from Mike Selvey about the Sussex attack

mike selvey
@selvecricket
Day in the sun watching Sam Robson and Mark Stoneman compile an [MENTION=13449]middles[/MENTION]ex_CCC record opening stand of 374. Thought the Sussex lads stuck to it commendably.
6:32 PM · Sep 6, 2021·Twitter for Android

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is harsh when you realise that only one of our frontline bowlers has played more than 20 FC games - FHP with a massive 25 games

Bowlers have to learn their craft - look at Ollie Robinson, he was 24 and on his third county before he became an established county bowler. They won't play many games like this: a good batting track and no cloud cover and they've stuck at it well. Spinners in particular take a time to mature but Carson hasn't been disgraced in this game.

What Sussex really need is an experienced bowler to help these kids along, they're promising players but they need help

FHP was at our club on Saturday joining in the end of season get-together (he played there as a junior and his dad headed up the coaching for the juniors). Good to see him back in Sussex but not sure he’s strong enough to be a regular opening bowler……

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If we ignore the first 375 runs Middlesex are 25/2 ... Good start.
Which county's internet commentator was it who told us his side had "dominated" Sussex if you just ignored a dodgy session or two...? :laugh:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He's being played as a batsman in this game - he's not fit enough to bowl
But he can't bat either...

First class career average of 20.84.

:flounce::flounce::flounce:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looking forward to all the "our kids are doing their best" comments despite them not being up to standard.

Really annoying comment. Sussex are trying to balance the books. The focus is on white ball. And they have reached the finals day.

The Championship, which doesn't bring in the quids has handed a crop of youngsters opportunities. Some have done well, for others it is a struggle.

A legacy of post-Covid cricket. Sussex is a 'have not'. They have to target their resources. And they are not huge.

So I support what they are doing. Next year I'll be showing support by taking a membership because I'm just pleased the county still exists.

I don't know if you have a membership, but if not maybe consider that it is easy to be critical from an armchair- and a little hypocritical from those who give barely a penny to the club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Really annoying comment. Sussex are trying to balance the books. The focus is on white ball. And they have reached the finals day.

The Championship, which doesn't bring in the quids has handed a crop of youngsters opportunities. Some have done well, for others it is a struggle.

A legacy of post-Covid cricket. Sussex is a 'have not'. They have to target their resources. And they are not huge.

So I support what they are doing. Next year I'll be showing support by taking a membership because I'm just pleased the county still exists.

I don't know if you have a membership, but if not maybe consider that it is easy to be critical from an armchair- and a little hypocritical from those who give barely a penny to the club.

Very well said

And the rise of the 100 will increase the gap.

The costs of the ground development are bound to impact as well

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Very well said

And the rise of the 100 will increase the gap.

Not going to pick on [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] because its a completely valid statement, that the strength of the side Sussex have fielded these last two weeks absolutely IS unacceptable - regardless of the factors that have led to it.

But yes - as far as I know from his comments in other threads, his monetary contributions to County cricket this summer have gone into the pockets of Surrey and Hampshire, by way of Hundred tickets - serving only to increase the gap...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I cannot say I am holding out for this to happen, but lets see us collapse first, it may be a runs wickets as we also rack up a score for a draw.

Middlesex are 520 for 4

Always need to see both sides have a go with Bat and Ball first

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not going to pick on [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] because its a completely valid statement, that the strength of the side Sussex have fielded these last two weeks absolutely IS unacceptable - regardless of the factors that have led to it.

But yes - as far as I know from his comments in other threads, his monetary contributions to County cricket this summer have gone into the pockets of Surrey and Hampshire, by way of Hundred tickets - serving only to increase the gap...

Unacceptable? What are you going to do about it if you don't accept it?

Look, we're playing young sides and getting hammered, yes it's rubbish. I also much preferred it when we had Mushy and Goodwin etc etc crushing all asunder. But sport is cyclical, sometimes your team is on the up, sometimes they are rubbish.

In this instance, it's not due to chronic mismanagement, there's nothing really to protest about. The tectonic plates have shifted underneath Sussex. From hereon in, it's going to be very hard to beat test match / 100 hosting counties in the Championship. It was anyway, it will only get harder. Success will look like keeping our club and keeping our ground

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unacceptable? What are you going to about it if you don't accept it?

Look, we're playing young sides and getting hammered, yes it's rubbish. I also much preferred it when we had Mushy and Goodwin etc etc crushing all asunder. But sport is cyclical, sometimes your team is on the up, sometimes they are rubbish.

In this instance, it's not due to chronic mismanagement, there's nothing really to protest about. The tectonic plates have shifted underneath Sussex. From hereon in, it's going to be very hard to beat test match / 100 hosting counties in the Championship. It was anyway, it will only get harder. Success will look like keeping our club and keeping our ground

I'm not suggesting that it is unacceptable purely through the fault of the Cricket club (although I guess simster was). From the Club's point of view there are senior pros, who could have made a significant difference, being rested from these games, with a view to preserving fitness for the Blast in a couple of weeks' time. Personally I do not think that is right - whether you feel that the wider state of the game's finances dictate that they are forced into such decisions, is a separate argument.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I hope these two youngsters are not scarred for life :nono:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-07-21 at 01.48 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 09-07-21 at 01.48 PM.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 91

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's a real good effort from Carson: 40 overs on a good batting track against experienced players and going at just over three and a half are very decent figures.

I stand my contention that he'll have played for England by the end of 2023

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not so for our Jack. Huge career ahead of him.

Probably at Surrey....

1.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's a real good effort from Carson: 40 overs on a good batting track against experienced players and going at just over three and a half are very decent figures.

I stand my contention that he'll have played for England by the end of 2023

Although I'd like to see him playing Test cricket for Ireland.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
From the Club's point of view there are senior pros, who could have made a significant difference, being rested from these games, with a view to preserving fitness for the Blast in a couple of weeks' time. Personally I do not think that is right - whether you feel that the wider state of the game's finances dictate that they are forced into such decisions, is a separate argument.

There are only two senior pros being rested - Salt and Jordan (both of whom are off to other counties so may not be fully committed to Sussex (and Jordan has hardly played any red ball cricket - if any - for two years)

I do question the wisdom of only giving Wright, Bopara and Wiese white ball contracts though - their experience would have been useful in helping these kids, particularly Wright's . I said that at the time and I stand by it

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I cannot say I am holding out for this to happen, but lets see us collapse first, it may be a runs wickets as we also rack up a score for a draw.

Middlesex are 520 for 4

Always need to see both sides have a go with Bat and Ball first

Think there’s a bit of wishful thinking here. Two days in the sun, psychologically being hammered - then having to bat for an hour or two - I don’t hold out much hope. Avoiding the follow on would be a major achievement. Scoring 200 would be an achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here