Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the obsession with the term "plastic" on this board?

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
It's been banded about a hell of a lot recently. The whole "i'm a bigger/better/more loyal football fan than anyone else in the entire universe" thing is really very, very tiresome. Those that use it, get over yourselves, please.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's been banded about a hell of a lot recently. The whole "i'm a bigger/better/more loyal football fan than anyone else in the entire universe" thing is really very, very tiresome. Those that use it, get over yourselves, please.

It's a quirk of fandom, not limited to football. With music it's the whole "I liked them before they were famous" thing, with movies it's how many times it's been watched and how accurately the lines are recited, etc.

There are a lot of people who feel the need to classify fans of anything and often it conveniently is about how they are a better fan than others. With football it's about fans who only come along for success, or who ignore their local team for the bigger successful team they only watch on TV etc.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's another over used term that is now so over used as to be almost meaningless, like 'legend'. It used to mean the bloke in your office who's only interest in football was watching Man Utd on Sky Super Sunday from the comfort of his armchair/pub stool. Now it can mean anything from that to someone who decided to start watching The Albion since we started getting good again (how very dare they!).

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think the important think is to have as much support as possible. brighton built a big ground and now want to put 30,000 people in it. The withdean could hold 8,850, so its not hard to work out. I was a supporter in the late 70s early 80s when Brighton played at the Goldstone and gave up when they left. So flog me, have a go at me. however I am back and proud

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
I think the important think is to have as much support as possible. brighton built a big ground and now want to put 30,000 people in it. The withdean could hold 8,850, so its not hard to work out. I was a supporter in the late 70s early 80s when Brighton played at the Goldstone and gave up when they left. So flog me, have a go at me. however I am back and proud

Good on you fella. Just make sure you wear your hard hat

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Where did you go? The Withdean could indeed only hold 8,850 but there was a lot of the fuckers empty most weeks. It doesnt matter to me who supports the Albion, I especially don't mind when they admit that they have been off supporting Chelsea or someone whilst we we were in the wilderness. What I don't like is all the revisionist shit that people come out with about how they were with us all along when many of us know they were sat around in the Franklin in a Man U shirt or a Liverpool hat barely 2years ago calling us bell ends for supporting "that shit" being displayed at the theatre of trees.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Anyone who goes to live football matches is not really a plastic. However, I reserve the right to differentiate myself, as someone who went to (almost) all the games at Gillingham and was a season ticket holder for every season at Withdean from someone who has (re) aligned themselves with the club since Falmer opened.

But nothing makes me more depressed about football than someone who claims allegiance to a football team because they buy a replica shirt once every few years and make the effort to go down the pub when their "team" is on the tv.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The 2,000 who did Priestfield, or the 4,000 s/t holders at Withdean, have no moral superiority over those who've come back, or have only recently fell in love with the Albion.

We need as big a (loyal and longterm) fanbase as possible, moving forward.

As for the PL and CL, people often 'choose' a club from afar, e,g. Man City, because they can't stand Fegis & ManUre, and love it that they are being beaten to signings and trophies. Always been the same ... the LFC success of the 1970's up to 1990, led to fans of various clubs jumping ship e.g. to George Graham's Arsenal, as they were the only way of ending the 20 year LFC dominance.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Bunch of wankers that are jealous to f*** of others success.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suppose using the logic some do, I am a plastic huddersfield fan. I have only seen them live a few times over the last few years, I look for their results and have three Huddersfield shirts. I have though seen them on telly loads of times.

And I have chosen singing in a concert for the jubilee next Saturday at st bartholemews over watching them at wembley next Saturday.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Where did you go? The Withdean could indeed only hold 8,850 but there was a lot of the fuckers empty most weeks. It doesnt matter to me who supports the Albion, I especially don't mind when they admit that they have been off supporting Chelsea or someone whilst we we were in the wilderness. What I don't like is all the revisionist shit that people come out with about how they were with us all along when many of us know they were sat around in the Franklin in a Man U shirt or a Liverpool hat barely 2years ago calling us bell ends for supporting "that shit" being displayed at the theatre of trees.

Did not want to travel to kent, as work changed, then I moved away in the withdean days.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, something has to refer to the people who displayed the banner "Brighton Reds MUFC" across the front of the Man Utd fans when we played them in the dying days of the Goldstone. Brighton was almost at the point of having no football team, but some people thought it was better to pick a winning team with loads of money, jibing against those supporting their local club facing oblivion.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne

Me too Steve!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The 2,000 who did Priestfield, or the 4,000 s/t holders at Withdean, have no moral superiority over those who've come back, or have only recently fell in love with the Albion.

We need as big a (loyal and longterm) fanbase as possible, moving forward.

As for the PL and CL, people often 'choose' a club from afar, e,g. Man City, because they can't stand Fegis & ManUre, and love it that they are being beaten to signings and trophies. Always been the same ... the LFC success of the 1970's up to 1990, led to fans of various clubs jumping ship e.g. to George Graham's Arsenal, as they were the only way of ending the 20 year LFC dominance.

This, if there's one thing I hate in life it's cliques. Calling other fans 'Plastic' is tantamount to wanting to join the Freemasons in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here