Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the most bizarre/memorable Albion game(s) you have attended ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can't recall who the game was against, seem to think it was Bristol Rovers or Sheffield Wednesday (happy to be corrected) at the Goldstone a deluge just before the game started and during the game. The game would have been postponed or abandoned now, but went ahead.
Watching from the terraces it was like having a front row seat at a Shamu show at Sea World. Everytime a sliding tackle came in, about 50 gallons of water splashed up and onto the fans.

Needless to say the pitch was just a sandpit for the rest of the season.

Away at Dean Court in Jan’95 I think, it was cold with torrential rain for hours before and during the game. Passes stopped dead after 5 yards, the pitch was a shallow lake.

We played it brilliantly, McDugald, Minton and mates gave us a comfortable win.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can't recall who the game was against, seem to think it was Bristol Rovers or Sheffield Wednesday (happy to be corrected) at the Goldstone a deluge just before the game started and during the game. The game would have been postponed or abandoned now, but went ahead.
Watching from the terraces it was like having a front row seat at a Shamu show at Sea World. Everytime a sliding tackle came in, about 50 gallons of water splashed up and onto the fans.

Needless to say the pitch was just a sandpit for the rest of the season.

Boxing Day, v Bristol Rovers. 1988 or 89? Carl Saunders with the 0-1 ‘winner’ for Rovers with a huge assist from the lake on the edge of Digweeds box. It was absolutely ridiculous weather conditions as you say, only about 5k there because of. Should never have been played and that’s why the gate was so low. Remember it like yesterday because of the conditions, definitely in my all time bizarre games too! Good call.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Getting to Norwich, clear sunny winters day. Going for something to eat, emerging into clouds and snow. Into the ground, watch as people try to unveil the cover on the centre circle. Game off. Rearranged game memorable for the free pie.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Getting to Norwich, clear sunny winters day. Going for something to eat, emerging into clouds and snow. Into the ground, watch as people try to unveil the cover on the centre circle. Game off. Rearranged game memorable for the free pie.

Yep, another of mine too. The infamous floodlight failure in the cup having travelled all the way to Carrow Road. Match abandoned. Bloody canaries. !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
May 21, 2021 - Manchester City (H)

Graham Potter scores the winning goal with a volley from 40 meters to secure the Champions League spot only months after his remarkable comeback as a player and celebrates the goal by licking the eyeballs of top scorer Dan Cashman.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Away at Dean Court in Jan’95 I think, it was cold with torrential rain for hours before and during the game. Passes stopped dead after 5 yards, the pitch was a shallow lake.

We played it brilliantly, McDugald, Minton and mates gave us a comfortable win.
I was at that game, George Parris' shorts, baggy in normal conditions got so wet they were almost round his ankles.

It was a great display in awful conditions.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m going to say the 1st game of 97-98, at ‘home’ to Macclesfield. A surreal experience, I don’t think I’ve felt more depressed at any match than that. It was like being left alone in a cell for the first time, at the beginning of a long jail sentence.And thoughts of ‘how did it come to this’ just repeatedly on loop in my mind standing behind the goal with pitiful few others.

Strange strange times.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brighton v Norwich when Justin fashanu was playing, all game Fashanu had been jumping for crosses leading with his elbows and finally Andy Rollins had enough and just lamped him .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Aldershot away we won 4-1 if I remember the train was relatively quiet got out the station to what I can only describe as a scene from the Wild West. It was kicking off literally everywhere, probably never see anything like that again at football mental scenes.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Has to be Crystal Palace away in late 80’s with the 5 penalties - just a very surreal but enjoyable day even though we eventually lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was at that game, George Parris' shorts, baggy in normal conditions got so wet they were almost round his ankles.

It was a great display in awful conditions.

There was just a few hundred of us at one end of a rickety wooden stand.

Before their cheapskate upgrade of turning the stadium 90 degrees and clicking over-sized Lego together.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Aldershot away we won 4-1 if I remember the train was relatively quiet got out the station to what I can only describe as a scene from the Wild West. It was kicking off literally everywhere, probably never see anything like that again at football mental scenes.

Was that the game when Chris Hutchings scored twice? I remember there war next-to-no segregation of fans.

Great days!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Has to be Crystal Palace away in late 80’s with the 5 penalties - just a very surreal but enjoyable day even though we eventually lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the winner. Wasn’t there myself but it’s still a regular sports question because of so yep, probably the strangest game we’ve ever been part of.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Leicester away on a Tuesday night. The 4-1 win about 6 years ago to spoil their promotion party. Game was phenomenal but the coach home was even better. An elderly gentleman (who I think was death) couldn’t speak properly, but was very buoyant after the win and kept starting chants. Whole coach was buzzing and joined in!

???

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Huddersfield away in 1994, the forecast was for snow up North, on the Friday as I was leaving the office I rang Huddersfield to see if the game was on and was reliably informed "tut game is on as the pies have just been delivered".
While driving up BBC radio were just reporting games on as so many had been called off. On arrival to the Leeds Road ground the away fans were moved into the seats as the snow from the pitch had been cleared into the away terrace.
We won 3-1 (I think Fozzie scored), with the home fans leaving earlier they were sent via the snowy away end where they bombarded us with snowballs.
The drive home was eventful as the mist came in and we had a pea souper with zero visibility.

Another strange one was Macclesfield away, driving North up the motorway we saw the team coach heading south. With the game called off we obtained tickets for Derby v Southampton where on arrival there was a pocket of about fifty like minded Albion fans all seated together, very entertaining.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bury away around 2002. Zamora wonder goal.

The 4-4 at home (in Gillingham) where Paul Emblen scored 3 of his total of 7 career league goals. :mad:

The away game at Brentford where he who shall not be named (Voldemort, I think it was) scored one stunner of an own goal and gifted Brentford the winner. Loved going to Griffin Park rip. Even if we did lose. A lot.

Torquay away, New Years day around 2000, scruffy keeper catching everything one handed.

Playoff semi away at Swindon, then the home win courtesy of £1.5 mill Adam Virgo, wing back extraordinaire.

Strange the things that stick in the mind.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
2 for me.

Brown envelopes against Chesterfield at Withdean and the scenes at their team coach in the car park after the game.

And a seeing Peter Shilton in goal for Leyton Orient at the Godstone. Was that the same game where someone ran onto the pitch to have a fight with Ray Wilkins?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here