Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the MINIMUM expectation for England / Southgate at the EUROS?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If we make it to the first game without a piss up/brawl/arrests in pub/club/hotel by any member of the squad I'd say it was a success.

Good point. I would be very disappointed if we manage to get through this tournament without a major breach of squad discipline involving booze and the intervention of the police. Otherwise, what's the point of it all? Obvs, without Maddison there some other members of the squad will have to up their game but perhaps Grealish or Ramsdale can rescue the situation with an early hours brawl caught on mobile phone footage after gatecrashing a wedding reception being held in the team hotel? Foden has shown early promise too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good point. I would be very disappointed if we manage to get through this tournament without a major breach of squad discipline involving booze and the intervention of the police. Otherwise, what's the point of it all? Obvs, without Maddison there some other members of the squad will have to up their game but perhaps Grealish or Ramsdale can rescue the situation with an early hours brawl caught on mobile phone footage after gatecrashing a wedding reception being held in the team hotel? Foden has shown early promise too.

Kyle Walker can show these youngsters how it's done

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Normally we beat the crap teams and lose to any half-decent teams so it all really depends on how things pan out. If we're lucky with the draw like at the World Cup, we could go far. If we end up with a strong opponent in the first knock-out stage we'll be on our way home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I wonder if Wayne Rooney has been hired to help Foden sharpen his game ? Slab head needs to be fighting fit if we're going to win anything in a car park.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wonder if Wayne Rooney has been hired to help Foden sharpen his game ? Slab head needs to be fighting fit if we're going to win anything in a car park.

If Harry Maguire is fit and selected, I pity the poor FA sponsor who is going to be asked to discreetly settle his hotel mini-bar bill and then have to try and claim it as 'photocopying' when they submit their expenses.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Beat Scotland but not expecting miracles in group stage and beyond.

At least if Southgate goes there is always a Pizzahut commercial to update

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018
Given the inexperience of much of this squad, I think Quarter Finals is an acceptable result.

However, with a potential for 6 England games at Wembley, that would feel somewhat of an underachievement and the Semi Finals should be the realistic aim for the quality we have.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Get out the group.

After that it depends. I think on our day we can beat any of France/Germany/Portugal but I don't expect it. I'd expect us to lose.

If we finish second in the group then I'd be disappointed not to make the quarters and once you're in the quarters it's anybodies game.

I love the build up, excitement and expectation before a tournament. Come on ENGLAND!!!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thought this thread might be worth a bounce and compare how England did in relation to what we all thought we'd do just over a month ago.

It's got to be the Semis at least for England.

High expectations from me, but the lads surpassed them.

Disappointed right now of course, but very happy overall.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm surprised and a little disappointed at the good discipline shown by the whole squad. Surely someone must have done something worthy of a tabloid expose ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm surprised and a little disappointed at the good discipline shown by the whole squad. Surely someone must have done something worthy of a tabloid expose ?

It's been ridiculous hasn't it? The worst I have seen is Harry Maguire driving a golf buggy the wrong way past a 'one-way' sign at St George's Park.

Not. Good. Enough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thought this thread might be worth a bounce and compare how England did in relation to what we all thought we'd do just over a month ago.

High expectations from me, but the lads surpassed them.

Disappointed right now of course, but very happy overall.

Looking at post #3 I managed to be both vague and prophetic - a trick I need to learn to repeat with my Brighton writing :wink:

I honestly never expected us to get to the final though, but I did expect us to beat the Scotch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's been ridiculous hasn't it? The worst I have seen is Harry Maguire driving a golf buggy the wrong way past a 'one-way' sign at St George's Park.

Not. Good. Enough.

There's still time for Grealish to get butt naked and attempt to ride Southgate around the hotel while smoking a Camberwell Carrot just before they check out. But it's running out quickly.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I have a bathroom to rebuild, a Lambretta engine to build, a Race engine and gearbox to build for my Cortina and after a season of BHA I can do without more disappointment and failure. I really couldn't give a shit and have no vested interest.

At least you watched the Final, Zef.

Hope the bathroom is coming along nicely! :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
At least you watched the Final, Zef.

Hope the bathroom is coming along nicely! :)

Yes, getting there slowly, thanks . .tiler in on 22nd. I managed a 20 mile test ride on the Lambretta yesterday afternoon as well, all good. Got it locked up safely before kick off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here