Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the biggest challenge you have ever faced?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Losing my job (hard at the time, though I'm much better off for it now)
Burying my father
Giving in, admitting and getting treatment for depression.

This is a happy post.

Touched me this post. I'm not going to Reading on Boxing day due to transport issues. I'm happy to give you my season ticket for that game free of charge. If interested then pm me.

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
Beating alcohol addiction ( 1 year on the 6th January ), being made redundant in November and unable to find a job because of a drunken criminal record. And facing Christmas with no income, but on the plus side, I'm alive, I'm sober and a far nicer person for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Beating alcohol addiction ( 1 year on the 6th January ), being made redundant in November and unable to find a job because of a drunken criminal record. And facing Christmas with no income, but on the plus side, I'm alive, I'm sober and a far nicer person for it.

How/why do employees need to know about your past? What line of work are you in?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Touched me this post. I'm not going to Reading on Boxing day due to transport issues. I'm happy to give you my season ticket for that game free of charge. If interested then pm me.

Thanks for the offer - incredibly generous. Unfortunately I'll have to pass as I'll be doing family stuff on Boxing day. Cheers though :)

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
All agencies and employers ask for a CRB check now days. I was a team manager in a debt solutions company, but we were sold and all left jobless, as the new owners took it to Manchester. At this moment in time I would do anything, just to have the satisfaction of a purpose day to day. But I can only keep trying and hope something comes my way.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
The day after my daughter was born by Caesarian my son was admitted to a different hospital for urgent surgery to remove huge abscess in his neck (he was only 4years old ) he also had a possible diagnosis of leukaemia - luckily he didn't! The surgery was a success and my wife and daughter were all well. Oh this all happened Christmas week (2007!!!).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
All agencies and employers ask for a CRB check now days. I was a team manager in a debt solutions company, but we were sold and all left jobless, as the new owners took it to Manchester. At this moment in time I would do anything, just to have the satisfaction of a purpose day to day. But I can only keep trying and hope something comes my way.

Sorry mate not quite true. I've had a record all my life. You are screwed in certain jobs i agree but even then they can be wavered as i should know. Simply answer no on the form.

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
So I don't need to mention it ? Surely if it came out afterwards that would be mis- leading or gross misconduct ? Are there any checks they can do without my consent ? Biggest fear for me is going from living with the lies and deception of alcohol abuse to the living a lie to a future employer.

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
I am still on probation for the offence as well, with another year to go. The reality of a police cell and possible custodial sentence was the turning point for me.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So I don't need to mention it ? Surely if it came out afterwards that would be mis- leading or gross misconduct ? Are there any checks they can do without my consent ? Biggest fear for me is going from living with the lies and deception of alcohol abuse to the living a lie to a future employer.

If you told the truth you would virtually be unemployable. Lots of companies don't even follow it up. I was in one job where i was delivering oxygen to vulnerable people. After a year the company did criminal record checks and lots failed. The company gave everyone a Chance though which was good of them.

Don't admit it on forms. Don't bother applying for jobs where you know checks will be made ie working with children etc. Besides it also depends what you were nicked for.

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
A drunken assault, first offence but its there in black and white. I'll give it a go, I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your advice.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A drunken assault, first offence but its there in black and white. I'll give it a go, I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your advice.

You have nothing to lose. If you admit it then you most likely won't get the job. The worse they can do is sack you if they find out. That hardly happens if you prove your salt to a company. I would avoid applying for jobs in security and airports. Airports are quite hot on this. Sign up for agencies.

in the sticks

Feb 16, 2014
Thanks Spence, I am just leaving to go to some agencies I've not tried, if I get any luck I will post on here, and you shall have a coffee on me !

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Where in the sticks are you?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Coming up to 2 years that during surveillance for Colitis, Doctors found a polyp in my bowel. Not normally cause for concern, but it was of a type that can be cancerous. Unfortunately, they wouldn't know whether it was cancer until they removed my whole colon.I didn't really know what the future held. I knew that the cancer hadn't spread to my lungs or Kidneys, but a few lymph nodes were enlarged and the Drs didn't know if it was due to cancer or enlarged due to colonoscopy.

Incredibly tough period worrying about the future and of my 6 year old daughter. It made me cry when I found a card that she wrote asking God to help me. I had to ensure an 8 hour operation, followed by regaining my fitness. Very fortunately, no cancer was detected. I had a second operation 6 months later to restore my plumbing - an amazing operation in itself.

Having said that, it was a wake up call. In the past I would worrying about little things, now they don't matter.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A very sad thread.. Just goes to show you don't know what some people have to go through. Good luck to everyone.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
For me personally was seeing my girlfriend delivering our still born baby in hospital and it tearing her apart.
See was only a few months old but she had all her features. We had to name her quickly before the hospital chaplain came in and gave her last rites. It was April and that is what we called her.Saying goodbye to her was heartbreaking and something i'll never forget,

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
God, but there are some very sad stories on this thread. Nothing I have experienced comes close to at least half a dozen on here. Good luck to all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here