Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the best word to describe a soldiers death?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I noticed there is sadly a new thread about the death of a member of our armed forces in Afghanistan. It's descibed as a tragedy. I in no way want to disrespect the sacrifice this man or woman has made but is the death of a soldier really a tragedy? To me a child dying in an accident or something like the Haiti earthquake is a tragedy. Is there a better way to describe the loss than to resort to tabloid hyperbole?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I noticed there is sadly a new thread about the death of a member of our armed forces in Afghanistan. It's descibed as a tragedy. I in no way want to disrespect the sacrifice this man or woman has made but is the death of a soldier really a tragedy? To me a child dying in an accident or something like the Haiti earthquake is a tragedy. Is there a better way to describe the loss than to resort to tabloid hyperbole?
Of course it's a tragedy for his family and friends , I really cant see any point in your post except as a thinly veiled sneer at the armed forces in a 'we shouldn't be there anyway ' kind of vein.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Any death over there is a f***ing disgrace. End of.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Of course it's a tragedy for his family and friends , I really cant see any point in your post except as a thinly veiled sneer at the armed forces in a 'we shouldn't be there anyway ' kind of vein.

No, it's not a snear at the armed forces, it's more a philisophical question about how we talk about death.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, it's not a snear at the armed forces, it's more a philisophical question about how we talk about death.

It's a tragedy that so many lives are being lost in a war we shouldn't have ever entered into, but I take your point that each individual death isn't another tragedy, as war is dangerous, people do die, and that is part of it. It's not a tickling contest.

I would describe each individual death as a "casualty", which doesn't mean the deaths shouldn't be mourned, just as the deaths in the 2 WWs continue to be mourned, but they are numerous "casualties" not numerous "tragedies".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any death over there is a f***ing disgrace. End of.
Pointless.
I really feel for the soldiers who are doing their job.
There is no justification for being in Afghanistan, it sickens me to know our soldiers are dying for such a flawed cause.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
interesting thread. Any death is obviously a tragedy to family and threads,including
deaths to members of the taliban. But in the greater context casulaties/casualties of war is probably more appropriate

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Wasted.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Sums it up really. To us he's a number, not mourned by anyone except his family and friends.

As Joseph Stalin once said "If one million people die on the other side of the planet, it is a statistic. If one person dies in front of you it is a tragedy".

Although, the bloke was a complete nobber, he kind of sums it up for me. Clearly any death at war is devestating, but it is hard to properly empathise in such a situation.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Sadly Inevitable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Sadly Inevitable.

So, on the basis of that, you are suggesting that all soldiers will inevitably die. Well it is true but that is true of all of us. What is not true is that all soldiers will inevitably die just because they are soldiers. There will be plenty that will return.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sadly inevtable that some soldiers will die in war. Not in any way saying that is a good thing but that is what war is.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I would describe each individual death as a "casualty", which doesn't mean the deaths shouldn't be mourned, just as the deaths in the 2 WWs continue to be mourned, but they are numerous "casualties" not numerous "tragedies".

A casualty is a someone that has been injured or wounded either in battle or by accident. So you can not call a death, a casualty as thats like calling a car a bike.

I somehow agree that not all soldiers deaths are tragic, i think it is only tragic if that person could have been saved, death prevented or they died in particularly unfortunate circumstances. If a soldier dies in a firefight in the Green Zone after giving it some to the enemy, then so be it. Thats the game. Bleeding out on a dusty track after hitting an IED? thats just sh*t and a different topic.

I have always liked 'sad loss' but that doesn't sell newspapers.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010

I'll post a clip of a british solider being killed if you like and that'll show you what it's bloody like?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sad loss works,but as an ex-squaddie I think any Iraq/Afghan military fatalities come under the 'culpable homicide' heading,with Bliar/Brown as defendants:mad:

PutYourHandsUp...

Jun 6, 2009
"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. - Laurence Binyon

...of corse it is a tragedy, they dont deserve to die but yet they day by day put them selfs in danger. With 34 penpals out on the front line as we speak, there isnt a day that passes that they fear for their lives, but they continue on.. no it is not a natural disaster like haiti etc which obviously is something awful to have happened in the world. But these brave men go into this danger knowingly and i applaud them for this.

..come back safe boys, i miss you xxx

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Sad.

I have to hold back the tears everytime I see it on the news. Braver people than me. Hope you all make it home safe, and those that don't, we will remember.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd use a phrase, for a worthy cause.

People debate the rights and wrongs of the war, and I often get involved in that. But what is beyond the debate and isn't included in any discussions you can have, is that the loss of any solider is a massive shame. I wouldn't say a tragedy, because I don't think it's an appropriate phrase for this situation. Whatever you think about the war, one way or the other, the human cost is the most important thing of all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here