Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What Is, The Best Kebab In Brighton?

Jul 7, 2003
Happy Go Souvlaki are back at Street Diner this Friday. Served in a flatbread with chips. Run by the people who brought you Crocus Paella.
souvlaki.PNG

Jul 7, 2003
Not Brighton I know but Uncle Jims in Worthing is always good. The only place in Worthing that make their own doner and kofte rather than buy in from the cash & carry. Also had a 5 star food rating for ages.

The owner has been working there for 30 years and his father in law bought the business off of the original Uncle Jim. I'm sure the original 'Uncle' also had a shop in Brighton in the early 80's before opening up the Worthing one. I believe that he started in London and would open a shop, build up the business and then sell it to someone in the Turkish community before starting again.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Ali Baba in Southwick Square is just fantastic, I'd probably say clearly the best in Sussex. Served on Mediterranean flat bread. Chicken Shish is incredible, they also used to do a very chicken donner.

If your over towards Peacehaven then I'd recommend either Bursa in Newhaven or a new one that's just opened in Telscoombe called Firehouse Grill, both do very, very good chicken shish.

I've only been to Mac Doner in St James Street once, but that was decent too, they make the bread infront of you whilst you wait

I've yet to try Firehouse Grill, from what I can tell it is the same people that ran Yummie Pizza, they've just rebranded. Yummie's weren't too bad, but consistency was their problem, sometimes it'd be decent, other times the portion size would be small and extra greasy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chunks of meat in it, in a weird jelly. Like cat food. I still always popped in for chips in pitta after most matches. But I wouldn’t eat meat from there.

All about context and what you order.

If you get a doner from there, sober or sober-ish then good luck :lolol:

However, if you've just come from the Amex having drunk steadily all day, have won and order a chicken shawarmar then you'll never look back.

Or at least you won't till you pass it sober........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Alushi top of Trafalgar st seems to have gone unmentioned, is it a secret?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My first kebab was from what is now the Seagull Chip Shop along Barcombe. It defined how they should be for me. Ownership changed, staff changed, and it was never the same. Took a while before I found one that compared, and it was Kebab Knight on Lewes road. Enjoyed that for years, but then there was a big change down there, I don't know if it was ownership or what, but shortly before the refit, they were a little different. Frandzo are ok taste-wise, I like the salad they have, but their slices tend to be thicker than I prefer. The newer version of the Kebab Knight tasted more like before the last time I got one from them, but not as good.

I have gotten more into making my own, based on the recipe from the takeaway secret recipe book.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Loads! Albion kebabs has 5

I've often looked but always thought they didn't display their rating which they don't have to do but always makes me suspicious! Albion is great after a few beers and before the train home but don't think I'd ever get a sober one from there.

Best I've had is from The Clay Oven in Eastbourne.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are you on the Guinness?

No I was being genuine. We appear to have kebab experts on here just as we do experts on many other fields.

If I had been, though, I’d have had a large donner delivered with garlic mayo and chilli sauce :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
so many good memories

when I lived in Kemp Town my local was the Barley Mow so after a few in there it was straight to Tuckers. What a ludicrous menu they have, I swear they've made quite a lot of the dishes up. Like, I dunno, a chicken burger, with a beef burger, stick in an onion ring, hash brown, bit of donner meat- just stick it all in and call it an 'ultimate burger' or something. Pizza? yeh we'll have a go at pizza, just stick any old shit on

their kebabs were decent

I'm currently staying temporarily on Temple Street so the world is my oyster when it comes to kebabs- had Kambis last week and it was ok. Is Casba still any good?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
When it comes to a DK the meat is pretty standard wherever you buy one from. The key to a quality kebab is in how good the chilli and garlic may sauces are along with the bead/wrap.
The Germans use a bread roll that’s akin to a thick but very light pizza base dough. That soaks up the sauces preventing the usual soggy mess that you get from pitta bread. If you are into your kebabs then you must definitely try one if you ever visit Germany.

Or, try making a doner at home, it’s actually very easy to replicate yourself. Lamb mince and a few herbs and spices, 50 minutes in the oven. Job done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here