• Household earnings of £500K+

Votes: 68 25.1%
  • Household earnings of £1,000,000+

Votes: 35 12.9%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Taking it back a step, don't you have to decide how you measure rich-ness?

You've used income and income alone as a measure, which is fair enough, but I think you probably need to factor in at least one other element - assets and, very probably, debt too.

A lot of those we consider amongst the very richest won't have an income at all, at least not in the way that most of us considers what an income is.
I would go further in that richness is definitely not measured in income but rather only in assets.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally I think I'm rich - not because I earn megabucks ( I don't ) - but I earn enough to pay for the things I need and want to - bills, mortgage, eating out etc - and have reserves in the bank for a "rainy day". Compared to most I have a very modest mortgage and only ten years to go. I have three cracking, grounded and loving children and a loving and understanding wife. And in the last few months I've seen BHA play the best football I've ever seen them play. Stuff richness being about how much you earn - it's how rich your life is.
I tend to agree with Westdene.

I may not feel rich but between me and my other half we earn enough to pay our mortgage and bills, treat ourselves to things we want, save money each month and have a holiday. Which, looking at it typed in black and white, does seem to be rich.

Certainly if I were to say all this to someone who earns less than the median I'd probably get called an out of touch twat.

So who knows.
this used to be called "comfortable".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sure it's been covered, but I'd have thought capital plays a big part, rather than just earnings.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm too rich to be bothered with such trifles *

*not

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd agree with that. Back in 2010 the government implemented the policy of eroding personal allowance by £1 for every £2 earned over 100K - aka the 100K 60% tax trap. £100K in 2010 is the equivalent to about 144K today, so definitely a really good annual income. These days more and more people are hitting that threshold, which hasn't shifted despite 13 years worth of inflation.

Fiscal drag.

£200,000 salary gives a tax home of £116,278 or 58.%.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was told some years ago that if you have a roof over your head, money in your wallet and money in the bank you are among the richest 5% in the world. I have no idea how true this is but it made me feel rich for a while!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
For £20, the charity Mary's Meals can provide a school dinner for a full year for a child who would otherwise have no dinner at all.

I'm rich.
£20 a year? With kids in school around 200 days a year, that's 10p per day.

That's simply not possible unless also subsidised from somewhere else?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
As I've got older I've realised it's not about how much money you have but how little you can spend, while still being comfortable and happy. Anything I buy I research beforehand and make sure I get a quality product at a value price, often second hand. I then find I want what I have, rather than have what I want (a good happiness barometer). The amount i see other people spend on willy nilly, without thought, then don't use, throw away or resell for peanuts is ridiculous. Not answered your question though.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If you're really rich then you don't mind about the ridiculous price of utilities in this country because you're getting dividends from them. Not that you know that because a wealth management company takes care if it for you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That so? Got a sauce?

Have a read of this: https://www.thenational.scot/news/2...uest-politicians-reluctant-tell-truth-brexit/

And this: https://www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

Voters in the poll on this thread take heed of this line from the 2nd article:

"the top-earning 3 per cent of UK households each took home about £84,000 after tax (which) puts Britain’s highest earners narrowly behind the wealthiest Germans and Norwegians and comfortably among the global elite".

Yet more than half on here will tell you those households aren't rich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports