Votes: 68 25.1%
  • Household earnings of £1,000,000+

Votes: 35 12.9%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Orwell was middle class, pretty sure said so himself.

we have adopted the ABCD catagorisation to be more granular for economic and especially marketing, because the old classifications were so blurred and irrelevant. those with property, a profession are and always were middle class, its not based off personal beliefs.

Funniest thing I heard with that classification was some twattish ex public school boys (only second and third gen wealth), who literally hated English “C2DE’s” (their language) appearing on England cricket tours in the 90’s in the West Indies.

They yearned for the pre cheap flights era when it allegedly all theirs, the ABC1’s.

I’m not joking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's hard to come up with an objective definition. As @Machiavelli suggested, many would say anyone dependent on selling their labour is working class.

That's just not a definition. The CEO of a FTSE 100 company is not working class simply because they're being paid for their time.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That's just not a definition. The CEO of a FTSE 100 company is not working class simply because they're being paid for their time.

Well, it is a definition.

IMG-20230712-WA0026.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, it is a definition.
They don't seem to be sure of their own definition there - 'Includes all employees who are compensated with wage or salary-based contracts' & 'Working class occupations include blue-collar jobs, and most pink-colour jobs' - so not white collar-jobs, meaning not all employees at all then :rolleyes:

So you heard it here first - if you are the Prime Minister, you are working class.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They don't seem to be sure of their own definition there - 'Includes all employees who are compensated with wage or salary-based contracts' & 'Working class occupations include blue-collar jobs, and most pink-colour jobs' - so not white collar-jobs, meaning not all employees at all then :rolleyes:

So you heard it here first - if you are the Prime Minister, you are working class.

How many British Prime Ministers have lived exclusively on earnings from wage labour?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
This is really interesting, as me and my partner are moving up north in a few weeks. We've made the decision because we have been priced out of Sussex - Our landlord is selling up so we're moving out of a 1 bed flat, however, we needed to upgrade to at least a two bed given the amount of tat we have! We are both on a good wage (just shy of a combined £100k between us), but the economics just didn't seem to work for us.

To get a 2 bed round this way (Worthing), you're looking at a minimum of £1200 a month for anything half sensible. We have taken the decision to move to Chesterfield, where we've just got a BEAUTIFUL 3 bed detached bungalow with a garage and separate office for £1000 a month.

To sum it up, down here the cost of living is getting higher by the day, but where we're going EVERYTHING is cheaper - property (we'll look to buy up there in a year or two), and even eating out, and day to day expenditure. We're massively fortunate that we both are able to work remotely, but we chose Chesterfield due to being able to get into Manchester (for my Mrs's work), and central London (for me) within an hour and a half. It's terrifying (and means that I'm only likely to be able to watch the Albion on telly!), but I think in the long run we're going to be far more financially secure and have a better life. It's disgusting that the housing market (both rental and sale) are what they are down here though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is really interesting, as me and my partner are moving up north in a few weeks. We've made the decision because we have been priced out of Sussex - Our landlord is selling up so we're moving out of a 1 bed flat, however, we needed to upgrade to at least a two bed given the amount of tat we have! We are both on a good wage (just shy of a combined £100k between us), but the economics just didn't seem to work for us.

To get a 2 bed round this way (Worthing), you're looking at a minimum of £1200 a month for anything half sensible. We have taken the decision to move to Chesterfield, where we've just got a BEAUTIFUL 3 bed detached bungalow with a garage and separate office for £1000 a month.

To sum it up, down here the cost of living is getting higher by the day, but where we're going EVERYTHING is cheaper - property (we'll look to buy up there in a year or two), and even eating out, and day to day expenditure. We're massively fortunate that we both are able to work remotely, but we chose Chesterfield due to being able to get into Manchester (for my Mrs's work), and central London (for me) within an hour and a half. It's terrifying (and means that I'm only likely to be able to watch the Albion on telly!), but I think in the long run we're going to be far more financially secure and have a better life. It's disgusting that the housing market (both rental and sale) are what they are down here though.
Good on you and I am not surprised. I am living in a 4 bed terraced house with huge garden and am paying a rent that would probably only get me a garage in Sussex. I even get a discount because we cut the grass! Things will continue to get more expensive up here though once lots more people do what you are doing. I hope that it works out for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here