Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is plan B?

If de Zerbi had a plan B what should it be?

• Lump it up to the big man and fight for the second ball

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • 8 man low block and play on the break

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Play quicker and more direct to the wingers

Votes: 42 54.5%
  • Get a decent set-piece coach and continue with plan A only

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters

I think we have been operating Plan B for a while, we do punt the ball longer than we did in the first half of the season. This is probably the main reason why Verbruggen has played so much recently, as you play Steele when you want to play a purer pass the ball out from the back style as we did when things were on the upswing for us over the past 18 months. As for adopting even more defensive tactics, we just don't have the players for it, our squad is weighted towards lightweight touch players who would be very bad at doing a Dyche approach. If they tried it, I think we'd still get spanked just as hard as we are now, perhaps even more so.

I think there is no alternative but to grit our teeth until the end of the season, accept we won't get any more points bar something clicking maybe against Man U or possibly Chelsea if they play badly - then we need a thorough squad refresh. Keep the younger developing players but accept you may not get more than 15 games out of them a season. We need between 5-7 signings in the upper range of 20-30 mill down to a lower range of 10 mill, battle hardened customers with good injury records who can perhaps offer us more of a contrast of playing styles than our squad currently offers

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't confess I know the answers and I can't set my U13s team up to not concede or win ugly but anyway

1. Some sort of methodology to make us less easy to play against. The ball gets turned over and our midfield seems to be non existent. The first goal scored by Roma in the away leg and Man Cities 4th are just long balls over the top. Yesterday, Bournemouth were running at us time and again. Make us more difficult to play against. A midfielder that tackles would be nice.

2. Win ugly. We drew a lot of games we should have won and lost a few games we could have got something out of (spurs etc) when we were playing well. None of the wins we got in the early part of the season were underserved, Athens away possibly. Whilst you could argue we won ugly against Forest we don't seem to scratch a point or win when we don't deserve to. Everything seemingly has to be perfect to chalk 3 up.

I appreciate that reads like I want BFS in charge which really isn't the case but a *bit* of pragmatism every now and again wouldn't go amiss.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There isnt any form of Plan B as far as I can see?, It was that naievity that caused us to get smashed in Rome, when a low block or defensive performance and Amex return seemed far smarter?

I do believe peak De Zerbi was more beautiful and more exciting than peak Potter, but in Potters defence he was far more tactically flexible depending on situation. De Zerbi seems wedded to one way and one size fits all.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There isnt any form of Plan B as far as I can see?, It was that naievity that caused us to get smashed in Rome, when a low block or defensive performance and Amex return seemed far smarter?

I do believe peak De Zerbi was more beautiful and more exciting than peak Potter, but in Potters defence he was far more tactically flexible depending on situation. De Zerbi seems wedded to one way and one size fits all.
What should plan B be?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What should plan B be?
Im not paid millions a year to work on that!

I'd suggest Potters approach of having a broader selection of other tactical dispostions, types of play/formations is better, then being able to change a game based on whats happening, is a smarter approach. Multiple Plan B's

Right now we seemingly play one way regardless of oppostion or whats happening in game. If we moved to a set one size plan B, that may work sometimes but not all.

Of your options, the most sensible is the best supported, about moving ball quicker as its often too ponderous/slow or backwards/sideways. Though thats more enhancing Plan A than Plan B?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I'd suggest Potters approach of having a broader selection of other tactical dispostions, types of play/formations is better, then being able to change a game based on whats happening, is a smarter approach. Multiple Plan B's

Right now we seemingly play one way regardless of oppostion or whats happening in game. If we moved to a set one size plan B, that may work sometimes but not all.

Of your options, the most sensible is the best supported, about moving ball quicker as its often too ponderous/slow or backwards/sideways. Though thats more enhancing Plan A than Plan B?
Yes, it is, and it seems to be the majority view on the thread. Maybe the loss of Mitoma, March, Estupinian, Hinshelwood (and Lamptey to an extent) is the primary reason for the current slow, ponderous play? Playing Gross as DM rather than further upfield could be another factor.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't confess I know the answers and I can't set my U13s team up to not concede or win ugly but anyway

1. Some sort of methodology to make us less easy to play against. The ball gets turned over and our midfield seems to be non existent. The first goal scored by Roma in the away leg and Man Cities 4th are just long balls over the top. Yesterday, Bournemouth were running at us time and again. Make us more difficult to play against. A midfielder that tackles would be nice.

2. Win ugly. We drew a lot of games we should have won and lost a few games we could have got something out of (spurs etc) when we were playing well. None of the wins we got in the early part of the season were underserved, Athens away possibly. Whilst you could argue we won ugly against Forest we don't seem to scratch a point or win when we don't deserve to. Everything seemingly has to be perfect to chalk 3 up.

I appreciate that reads like I want BFS in charge which really isn't the case but a *bit* of pragmatism every now and again wouldn't go amiss.
I assume Baleba is the planned solution for 1. He's good but raw, positioning not always looking great.
And we used to have two of course: Caicedo covered a lot of ground to make tackles, and AliMac was very combative. For me, their miss affects us even more than Mitoma and March.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Plan B for me would be different in different circumstances

In Roma Plan B would be to leave some defenders back defending when we are behind 2-0
He did that on the second leg - I particularly noticed that because I was sitting level with the half way line - and we kept a clean sheet - I noted it because I had been saying before Roma, that was one of the reasons we were suffering so much on counter attacks - We don’t physically have the speed to push everyone forward in front of a high press to get back in time to defend a counter-attack. Citeh pressed us high last week but always had several defenders behind the ball.. We play our defence line too high at times when we play teams that are good counter-attackers. No reason why we can’t use attacking FBs but the central defenders need to stay back at times imo.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He did that on the second leg - I particularly noticed that because I was sitting level with the half way line - and we kept a clean sheet - I noted it because I had been saying before Roma, that was one of the reasons we were suffering so much on counter attacks - We don’t physically have the speed to push everyone forward in front of a high press to get back in time to defend a counter-attack. Citeh pressed us high last week but always had several defenders behind the ball.. We play our defence line too high at times when we play teams that are good counter-attackers. No reason why we can’t use attacking FBs but the central defenders need to stay back at times imo.
Yes, and quite often our defensive line is fragmented, with JPVH, Baleba, a fullback playing very advanced forays trying (usually failing) to press and win the ball back on the edge of the oppo's box...it does my head in 😂. Oppo keep the ball and we are sooooooo open 🤦🏼‍♂️

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton

We don’t only play one way. De Zerbi changed it for Spurs at home which worked. He also changed it for Man City at home which didn’t. The players out injured has been the problem rather than the tactical plan. When we have a fit squad again we will improve again.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
| would say the 3rd option, But don't don't have any fit wingers, OH that's right, That's also RDZ fault, not the recruitment team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here