Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is going on with this flat?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So about nine months ago I enquired about buying quite a smart flat in a new-ish development (about ten years old). I was told it was no longer available but a few months later it appeared on the agent's listings again. This time I went to see it. I was told the sellers wanted a quick sale. I wasn't sure so didn't proceed but have since thought it was probably at least worth a second look.

It is now appearing in the agent's listings AGAIN (I viewed it in March). It was first listed almost 18 months ago, and has been reduced in price by 20%. It has a long lease. I'm tempted to go back, but surely there must be something wrong with it??? What aren't they telling me?

The price is very reasonable for the location.
Screenshot_20230808-012844_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm. Does the patio look like it's recently been relaid, or is there a whiff of bleach about the place? :unsure:

Also: we need pictures, so the experts of NSC can decide.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Hmmm. Does the patio look like it's recently been relaid, or is there a whiff of bleach about the place? :unsure:

Also: we need pictures, so the experts of NSC can decide.
Usually in those cases it says 'Buyers are advised to research the history of the property'!

(someone bought Denis Neilsen's flat in North London because it was a knockdown price and I think the listing said something like that!)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Has it got a residents assoc. you could contact? Maybe they are desperate and are up the swanny?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I mean, a lot of people have found it hard to get mortgages in the last year or so due to interest rate rises: maybe the agent has just realised it's overpriced in a sluggish market?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is it a top floor flat? If not, the flat above may well have 'contemporary' bare floorboards. So you'll hear every footstep from above, not to mention any devices they haven't taken steps to soundproof. Flat above mine is currently rented by a creepy dude who wanders his bare floorboards at all hours. His job? Running a 3D-printer from home 24x7. It was completely non-soundproofed until I threatened to have him slung out on his ear. At which point he miraculously discovered 'Stealth Mode' on his shitty printer. Which is the equivalent of me suddenly discovering 'Volume Control' on my telly remote. Sake!
And... RELAX! :smokin:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Perhaps cladding issue ? Although agents would normally advise that and know which lenders would lend on it

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Maybe it is owned by a couple that have now split up and they can't come to an agreement about which offer to accept etc?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Lease regulations, subsidence, structurally unsound, lack of lifts, access problems for furniture and or people. The list of possibilities goes on. Good luck.
Get a survey! Talk to the occupants of a neighbouring flat.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Massive CPFC mural on the spare bedroom wall maybe?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe they've seen what is happening to property prices and want to 'get ahead of the game' :shrug:

I wouldn't rush into a purchase just now if you don't have to.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Phone the estate agents and ask, then ask again when you are viewing - you should get somewhere close to the truth if you can see their eyes

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Might be this sort of thing?

Is it a top floor flat? If not, the flat above may well have 'contemporary' bare floorboards. So you'll hear every footstep from above, not to mention any devices they haven't taken steps to soundproof. Flat above mine is currently rented by a creepy dude who wanders his bare floorboards at all hours. His job? Running a 3D-printer from home 24x7. It was completely non-soundproofed until I threatened to have him slung out on his ear. At which point he miraculously discovered 'Stealth Mode' on his shitty printer. Which is the equivalent of me suddenly discovering 'Volume Control' on my telly remote. Sake!
And... RELAX! :smokin:
It's top floor. I have suffered the same as you in the past!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does it overlook Selhurst Park?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few properties I couldn't get in the door of 18 months ago, keep reappearing on the market.
Prices don't seem to be dropping but that said, 18 months ago my asking price offers were all knocked back for being too low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here