Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is everyone's favourite designer brand

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I saw a really nice Boss jacket recently, but when I looked at the label, it said Made in Poland! If I buy a Boss jacket, I want it made in Italy! And the total death knell for denim, I saw a black Levi jacket recently, and when I looked at the label, it said 'Made in China' :-(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But where are they manufactured? China I should imagine?

Possibly, probably. I do not know, I am not a fan of their clothes and do not buy them. I'm also not sure of the point you're trying to make.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw a really nice Boss jacket recently, but when I looked at the label, it said Made in Poland! If I buy a Boss jacket, I want it made in Italy!

Out of interest, why do you expect a German fashion house to make their garments in Italy?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Possibly, probably. I do not know, I am not a fan of their clothes and do not buy them. I'm also not sure of the point you're trying to make.

I get the impression that people think it is a British brand. I prefer to see where clothes are manufactured. You can buy Fred Perry polo shirts for 50 - 60 quid that are Made in China. This detracts from their desireability IMHO. I prefer to source a Made in England item, which will be second-hand usually...

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Out of interest, why do you expect a German fashion house to make their garments in Italy?

Because with the usual teutonic efficiency, the Germans would defer every time to the tailoring prowess of Italy. If someone had the choice of buying a German or Italian garment, I'd imagine they'd go for the latter...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get the impression that people think it is a British brand. I prefer to see where clothes are manufactured. You can buy Fred Perry polo shirts for 50 - 60 quid that are Made in China. This detracts from their desireability IMHO. I prefer to source a Made in England item, which will be second-hand usually...

It is a British brand in the sense that the parent company SuperGroup PLC is based here in the UK. And I feel most people understand that clothes will be made elsewhere these days. But, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because with the usual teutonic efficiency, the Germans would defer every time to the tailoring prowess of Italy. If someone had the choice of buying a German or Italian garment, I'd imagine they'd go for the latter...

Come on, admit you got it wrong and you thought Hugo Boss is Italian.

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
Ralph Lauren
Barbour
OTS

are the orders of the day.

Anyone who said Hollister or Abercrombie & Fitch (or whatever it is called) - I hope you get assaulted in the street for no reason.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The label I really do not like is Pretty Green.

Also, I used to really like 'The People's Wardrobe - Anti-establishment apparel.' Althought when someone saw my t-shirt and asked where I got it from....it kinda lost its cool when I replied 'Selfridges'

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Come on, admit you got it wrong and you thought Hugo Boss is Italian.

In all honesty, I had no idea where they were based. As per my contributions to this thread, when I buy clothes, the main criteria is where they were manufactured. I believe that the quality of manufacture and material is better in English, American and Italian garments. I find it slightly amusing seeing people walking around town in their Hollister '1969 Vintage' emblazoned t-shirts that have a unit cost of about fifty pence, and are Made in China :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In all honesty, I had no idea where they were based. As per my contributions to this thread, when I buy clothes, the main criteria is where they were manufactured. I believe that the quality of manufacture and material is better in English, American and Italian garments. I find it slightly amusing seeing people walking around town in their Hollister '1969 Vintage' emblazoned t-shirts that have a unit cost of about fifty pence, and are Made in China :smile:

Hollister has its place, although not on my chest. I'm too old for brand logo t-shirts. And isnt there a totally fabricated story (which they do not hide) behind Hollister i.e. they're not a US west coast company from 69 at all? I warm to inventions like this.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
We could get into sign, signifier and signified, but I've just put on my Made in China Patagonia rain jacket, as I have to go out in the rain, and it's good for keeping me dry :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here